Yep... I've done it... got a COC

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheCount, Feb 27, 2007.

1. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I know, but I don't want to risk having an imbalance.

2. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

cheers for the link peeps, i do alot of gripping and strength training in my martial arts as it is, but i would just like to give this a go ontop to see if it improves it even more :)

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Mmm, I don't quite think it works that way and I know somebody will read that post and say "oh, well I agree, I don't have to grip train then." I used to do sets of 5 with 400 lbs + deadlifts and I would have never gotten there if I hadn't of grip trained with at least the Number 1 CoC. If you want to go heavy with pull type lifts, you NEED to grip train. It's also good for your hands. (Well, probably not everyone, but the majority). There are only benefits, and over training your hands is pretty hard. I hang sheetrock all day so I'm constantly grabbing heavy crap with my hands, I workout, and I grip train. That's probably three X work a lot of people do and I haven't overtrained em' : P.

Mm, I need to go ahead and order myself a #3. I'm about the close the #2 :D

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Apart from the obvious response that it's more variation in training methods, I would have to say it helps develop the application of the grip movement.

The best analogy I can think of would be that building up your upper body would give you a stronger punch, but without bag work as well you'll never achieve the same hitting power.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Basically, gripping is gripping, gripping a gripper will improve grip. And Captains of Crush are COOL

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Grip training is awesome, one of my favourite aspects of training actually. You don't HAVE to train grip to get good at deadlifting, but the average trainer will find that grip can be a limiting factor, especially endurance when you are doing slightly higher reps for deads, explosive movements and heavy chins. Thick bar training is a great way to include this as wel as grippers. Grippers actually train your crushing grip where as deadlifts tend to challenge your supporting grip so it's all training different aspects.

I personally train extensors using a load of elastic bands. Extensor training will without a doubt make your hands stronger over-all, as the same physiological principles apply. John Brookfield does it, so it's good enough for me anyway.

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

thanks for all the insite, i do heavy shrugs and i do alot of variations of wrists curls to help my grip, i never heard of "grippers". anywoo thanks :)

8. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Training grippers won't carry over as much to your grip on deadlifts as other types of training will, because it's a different type of gripping. In gripping, you have crushing, supporting, extensor, finger, and pinch. Crushing is more like what a COC trains. Supporting is stuff like farmer's walks, double-overhand deadlifts, and using thickbars. Extensor is opening the hand, whether using bands or a PVC cap with a hook to hold extra weight then opening your hand inside of it. Finger strength can be built through a number of different ways. Pinch gripping is like plate pinching or hub pinching.

So, in short, grippers CAN help your grip for deadlifts but aren't the best way to go about it.

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I got one for crushing grip solely so it suits me fine

10. Ero-Sennin

There are also different ways to use the CoC though to make it work to your benefit. For example if you don't want to develop just the crushing and want support for the deadlifts, then squeeze that sucker down and hold it for a good 20, 30 seconds or as long as you can. A much more portable way of getting the support strength then carrying around 100 lbs - 200 lbs dumbbells around.

11. koto_ryu

Cheat closes can help, but then again barbells aren't trying to push your hand open, just fall out of them. You don't need to do farmer's necessarily either. Thickbars, double overhand deads, and one of my faves, power holds. Just load up the bar in a rack a few inches short of a full lockout for a deadlift, double overhand it, lift, and hold. Did great things for my supporting strength, my farmer's went up 20lbs per hand in very short order.

12. Ero-Sennin

Mm, the grips helped me jump up about 150 lbs on my deadlifts : P. I love em' man. But I can't discredit my also doing all sorts of deadlifts either for my hand strength getting better which makes me hesitant to say the grips did it for me. They only supplemented it, but it was a good supplementation. I may invest in a thick bar and some other things though. I'm really trying to get into my hands lately because of the use I could have for em' in MMA. Imagine if I could close a # 4 . . . . and then was strong as hell. Sweaty body wouldn't matter, I could grab bone.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

but sparky you started out with 75lbs :rolleyes:

14. koto_ryu

I've got a decent crushing grip (closing in on #3 slowly but surely, doing reps with the HG250, stuff like that) but my double overhand deadlift is only around 385-405 on a good day.

I was gonna say :D

15. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

'Decent'? Reps with a 250 is slightly more than decent I think!

I'm not that far off the #2 myself.

16. Ero-Sennin

I'm not getting the joke :cry:

I was deadlifting over 400 when I was serious about em'. I remember going into the school gym and all the weightlifters getting mad at me because I was taking up all the 45's. :p

(Had to state it just in case people really did thought I was only doing 75 lbs, I really didn't get the joke or even know if it was a joke :eek: )

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I can close my HG250 once now, am working on reps :) :cool:

Bear in mind that the HGs are actually a bit inaccurate and usually take less force to close than it says on the number.

18. koto_ryu

Very true. I find the HG250 maybe a little bit easier/tougher (depending on whose, mine seems tougher but a friend of mine's seems much easier) than a COC #2. A HG300 is tougher than a #2 but easier than a #3. I can only do one rep with my right on the HG300.