Year round training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Goju, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I have found that in the winter, more people show up for class @ the dojo, but they complain about how tired and sore they are. In the summer time, The classes are tiny, like 3-4 people a class, but they are pumped. I find that in the winter I can't bring myself to train like in the summer. In the summer, I ride my bike or jog to the dojo, twice a day (because nobodys here during the day to drive me), plus weight training and kata here at home. In the winter I bearly go 4 times a week. I was just wondering if this happens with some of you, or if there is a certain time when you really like being @ the dojo.

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Around here things definitely seem to drop off in summer. Maybe because so many people are at the lake or on vacation. Or maybe it is just because there are so many more activities to do like golfing, swimming, bike riding etc. In winter fairly limited as to activities so to burn energy or exercise the dojo is the place to be if you are into MA.

Personally the season makes no difference to m, I like to train all year round. My dojo closes down for summer but one of the sensei's still teaches out of his home during the shut down. I am hoping to get a Sunday afternoon thing going at our house too so that people can still get out and train a couple of times a week during the summer.

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

We get slightly fewer people in the summer when the schools are on holiday and they have to look after the kids. Also, when there's a big football match on.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Here, less people show up in the Summer. Great for me, more one on one training. Good for the 'fine details' of hand positioninig, footwork, etc...

5. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

thats true

6. shinguards

shinguards Valued Member

i train all year around - i think it takes more discipline to do so. this discipline translates into other activities in your life too.

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Hmm, winters dont get you to sore in Florida :D Its actually a busy season for us. I try to be at the Dojo as much as I can. The summers are usually slower here do to people going away for the holiday.

8. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

We don't have air cond. in our dojo, so...

I LOVE training in the winter!
    (foggy windows, though)

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i train all year round and we dont have that much difference in class sizes between summer and winter. we do occasionally have a few relatively empty sessions in winter when snow means that a lot of people cant train but theres normally at least a dozen in.