Yaw Yan

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ScorpioJ, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

^ you mean the Rolling Knuckles?

2. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Hi there Infrazael! most of the bolo punches we do uses the outside (the same side when you do an elbow strike). this is the part the we tend to harden during conditioning.

although i've seen some MA that uses the inside of the forearms (i guess this looks like the WWE wrestling move - after bouncing off the ropes, they slam their arm at the neck of the other...), we find that the outside part is much denser and harder than the inside... making it much easier for us to condition.

these bolo punches mimic the same strikes you'd do if you were holding an stick or a baseball bat. some of them, again, are adopted from western boxing punches.

for the 12 bolo punches on my list, they are:
    VII. Bolo Punches
    1. Downward
    2. Outside
    3. Inside
    4. Bottoms Up
    5. Back Fist
    6. Upper Cut
    7. Inside Rolling Knuckles
    8. Downward Rolling Knuckles
    9. Straight Punch
    10. Cross Punch
    11. Upward Punch
    12. Overhead

3. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

Im not sure if its d same...the Kaldag does not use the knuckles but the arm itself...the sharp part of the bones. :) the very part used in an upward karate block...

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

When us CLF Kung Fu people talk about using forearms for striking people tend to go "pshhh. . . . . . . that move can't hurt people" but when Yaw-Yan or other sport MA guys talk about it it seems people immediately go "OMG what a new concept!!!"

Funny how that works huh?

LOL

There are people who talk about how my style (Choy Lay Fut) is very similar to FMA. We are famouse for our forearm strikes, attacking the opponents strike and bone conditioning of the arms to withstand our own strikes

God i'm so hardkor for using the word strike so many times. Strike.

5. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

introducing the art to everyone

Please post event adverts in the Events section. If you wish to advertise your website please do so in accordance with the MAP Terms of Service which you signed up to when you joined - Freeform

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  6. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

thanks!! I apologize, will do. :Angel:

7. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

I hope everything (training) is going great for everyone right now. Here in canada the yawyan sibukan chapter is really taking shape as an all around mma style. Hope fully we can video tape some our demos and training sessions and then send it over to you guys to maybe host or just plain watch.

Yawyan canada will hopefully explode in the next year once I do my push.

8. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi man ,good to hear from you again.

9. republiksyawyan

Thanx, Ive been really focusing on my training ,which sometimes doesnt leave me too much time to post these days. Even though Im not always around,my respect and admiration for all the other martial artists on this forum still stays no matter what.

Thanx, again.

10. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

glad to hear everything is doing well with sibukan. please extend my regards to sir fred. even sir zapata wanna say hi. it's been some months now since we've heard from him. also, kindly tell him that i have a new email address now.

11. republiksyawyan

So have you guys found me a 170lb fighter yet? give us about 6 more months and im ready top fight abroad. Mind you, to really showcase yawyan sibukan it would have to be ufc style full contact. I keep hearing amazing stories about the filipino fighters, and master Fred really wants to show what the art has evolved into over here in canada.

Tell sir Zapata we all say hi from minus 25 degrees.

12. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

I actually have someone in mind but we'll have to see first if my idea would be ok with the rest. t's good that you are focusing much time and effort into your training, go dig it brother!!! we're with you all the way :D

we hope to see you guys here in the near future. we're very much excited to see and experience sir fred's sibukan techniques. sir fred's got lots of ideas and stories to share especially the early days of yaw-yan. it's a good practice to take note all that he has to share... believe me, it's really worth it.

sir zapata and i are planning to visit GM Nap in the new gym in bulacan, it is near the grotto. i guess we'd be staying there for 2 days and learn more about GM Nap's combat.

please extend our regards to everyone. :)

13. Amok

Amok Valued Member

You suck :mad:

Take videos :)

14. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hahahahaha!!!! yup, for sure, we will. it could've been much better if you'd be able to join us. unfortunately, time is not on our side.

sir zapata told me last night at the gym that we could go there on a saturday morning, then leave on the evening of sunday. we're still planning for this though. hopefully, things could turn out as planned. will, let you know of any updates :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  15. Amok

Amok Valued Member

salamat.

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

ZAPATA site updated

fyi, more pictures of Sir Emiliano Zapata's fights had been posted in his updated personal webpage, Emiliano Zapata, Pride of Yaw-Yan.

below is emiliano zapata demonstrating the "buhawi" kick.

Attached Files:

17. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Burunkol

Nice picture bon,Can you pease translate the name of the kick to english .Tell more about it's execution and howz it applied

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  18. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

call it the the 'pinoy' kick otherwise you'll get a taekwondo guy falsely claiming it originated from them..like the biakid from sikiran! :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  19. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

thanks viking! buhawi is the filipino term for whirlwind. it belongs to our advanced set of kicks. basically, the buhawi kick composes of two sequential basic kicks - a straight front kick then followed up by a straight back kick. executing this kick needs to be done by someone who is light, agile, and fast.

stickfan1, haha, lets just hope that won't be the case... :p

20. Amok

Amok Valued Member

you forgot to add young :cry: