yaw yan as street defense

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by dirtfreak, May 28, 2007.

1. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

guys,
    i want to ask whether yaw yan martial arts has a program particularly against street attacks, e.g. knife, stick, sword attack, etc. and if weapon-handling is also taught? i'm only familiar with yaw yan as a sports inside the ring. thanks

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yes.

3. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

yes. actually, we have two aspects of training - combat and sports training.

COMBAT. the regular training curriculum consist of going thru the length of the program starting with empty hands and progressing to weapons. all throughout the training, scenarios are injected into the program - street attacks, knife defense, etc, to simulate actual combat scenarios and the principles behind our techniques - even at the first day of training, this is already included. theoretical + actual.

as we progress, we have different sets of weapons training - arnis sticks, bo staff, nunchucks, ropes.

SPORTS. yaw-yans are very much active in joining events and tournaments. given this, the common scenario that you could see in the gyms are fighters training for an upcoming fight. this is where cardio, endurance, strength, power, and conditioning comes in.

4. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

i reside in cavite. which yaw yan school is nearest to my location? i guess it's yaw yan pasay. i'm very much interested to learn this art? do you know the current training rate/fee? also, my available time for training is only 4/month or 2/month because of my distance from yaw yan location? Is this ok or will it be hard for me to learn with this kind of training program? If only there is a yaw yan school in cavite? tnx

5. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

sir dirtfreak, there is actually a yawyan training group in cavite - under Sir Zapata. This group is actually an extension of the pasay gym since their members are all from yawyan pasay. The group instructor's name is Henry Hare. At this time, they do not have any formal gym but uses sir zapata's garage instead.

training schedule/time is not a problem. yawyan gyms are open everyday from 9am til 9pm.

you can give me a call, my number is at the yawyan pasay blogpage or at the yawyan.com directory section... both sites are in my signature below.

thanks,
    bon bautista

6. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

sir,
    can you pm me sir henry hare's contact nos.? also, do you know where sir e. zapata's garage gym is located? i'd like to visit asap. thanks very much nad hope to meet you one of these days. you do well in promoting yaw yan martial arts.

7. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

i'll try to contact them. i have one of their member's phone number but not henry's. sir zapata is also coaching at the ULTRA so he rarely goes home. by the way, i got your message, ill forward them your number and have them contact you.

you could also try to give us a visit at the pasay gym when u have time. feel free to visit.

8. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

regarding yaw yan
    what preparations / exercises can i do to prepare myself for YY since this can be my first MA? i know YY is a very physical FMA and i think i'm not fit enough (endurance and strength)?

9. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

as with all MA, just come with an open mind for learning and you'll do just fine. after your lessons/training, do the same exercises at home.

10. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

thanks sir burungkol. i'll try to visit one sunday. more power to yaw yan!
    kind regards.

11. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

i asked one of their members to contact you. i hope they gave you a call, otherwise, i'll make a follow-up.

12. dirtfreak

dirtfreak New Member

as of now sir, no calls or texts received yet from yaw yan staff / members. tnx