Yang Tai Chi Fast Form - Video

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Visage, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Hi tpyeon - thanks for the intelligent, 'insider's' response :cool: you said it better than I could.
    I'm not saying, "he's rubbish" - he obviously isn't from what you say. I just don't like what he's doing with his lower body much, and even if he can get away with it, I'll bet many of his students will have incidences of "Taiji Knee".... :eek:

2. tpyeon

tpyeon Valued Member

hey tjb,

tai ji knee sucks..

chen stylists are a bit mad about their training and think it's a fine line. due to the demands of the form there are more opportunities to mess up your knees. and do it pretty fast too.. hence the importance of so much basic training.

i still wouldn't want to do my form that way.

you should really come to a chen xiao wang seminar, a pushing hands one, i think you'd really like it. he's often in the UK and does several locations. if you let me know where you are, i'll pass on details when i hear of anything if you like.

kind regards,

timo

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Sure, I'd like that. I'm in Rochester down in Kent.
    For years I was not interested in Chen at all, but since I've tried some other different stuff out in recent years I realise I probably need to experience it directly to get a better idea of what it's about, so yeah I'm up for giving it a go (circumstances permitting) :cool:

4. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

Xu is good but he does make the form look longer than it is to, for his age he still look like he is in good shape. Seems to me Chen requires more physically out of it than yang. The first vid is closer to how most ppl do the form. :)

ps i have the living treasure vid of him xu i mean but never used them for much.

5. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

This looks very aggressive and forceful, not what I would call "healthy" tai chi at all.

Caz

6. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Hi Caz,
    I'm curious. Do you call what you do Tai Chi Chuan at all, or just Tai Chi?

Also, do you think Tai Chi should be comprised solely of yin elements, such as softness, slowness, yielding etc.

If so, do you think it would be better to give it another name? Tai Chi might be a bit misleading as half of the symbol is Yang. Maybe you could call it "Yin" instead. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Define healthy please, caz....

not holding my breath...you never replied to my last question... :bang:

8. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

I do call Tai Chi "Tai Chi Chuan" sometimes, but not often.

Of course Tai Chi should not just focus on Yin elements, this would be an imbalance and make the body weak. Push hands and some light application work are the Yang element to Tai Chi, while form and Chi Kung are the Yin side.

What was your last question?

Caz

9. jkzorya

This being the case, you practice each 50% of the time, yes? As much time on push hands and light applications as form and chi kung?

10. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

Balance does not mean 50% to 50%. Balance is the exisistance of both within the whole.
    A practice push hands and applications, but they make up 1 third of my over all training. The other two thirds go to form and chi kung.

I feel it is more important to focus on the Yin aspects in order to help develop both personal "after birth" chi and cosmic "prebirth" chi. Without these being developed, Tai Chi becomes just another martial art, and we can't hope to gain the skills the old masters had.

Caz

11. jkzorya

You're very good at this.

12. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Its a sad waste of time though isnt it

13. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Do you eat the after birth chi like some chicks after they pop a sprog?

14. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

My only problem with the video is the lighting and shadows :D

For future reference, when shooting outside, do so on an overcast day. You eliminate shadows, and the clouds naturally diffuse the light so all the levels are pretty even.

15. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

BBC news predicted an overcast day, and we were out fairly early so we were expecting fair conditions for shooting. Unfortunately, nature had different ideas.

Hopefully the weather will be better/worse next time.

James

16. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

Very good at what, sorry?

Caz

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

You on medication Caz?

Time of the month?

you make me laugh... :p

answer my question, dammit.. :yeleyes:

18. jkzorya