Yang Tai Chi Fast Form - Video

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Visage, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hi guys,
    A video taken this morning of Taiji Butterfly playing around with the Yang Chen Fu long form, practicing it fast and fairly explosively.

Enjoy!! - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0rKbDSbxEQ"]Yang Taijiquan - Form practice - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. - Nigel, it looks a lot better on a bigger screen! :eek:

James

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Bet he does those funky moves on the dancefloor too. I'm sure I was that routine on "so you think you can dance". Not that I watch it or anything *blushes and pickup copy of guns and ammo*

The Bear.

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

So, your actual thoughts on the form, or are you just here to make some daft comments? :confused:

James

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Actually I thought there were some nice elements in it, but don't tell TJB.

Edit: He might take me off the banned list and I am trying to reach the lifetime ban.

The Bear.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Cool :cool:

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00Ma_4hoCU"]YouTube[/ame]

here is some quicker stuff from me!

firs part is step training ... second part with power expression.

Cheers
    Chris

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nice elements indeed! enjoyed that, especially liked the little doggie wandering through all funny like.
    And they say you can't work with animals... or kidz. Pff. I work with inthespirit all the time! :)

Thanks for posting.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

oooh shizzle my nizzle! :D

9. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Nice one Chris - especially liked the second version :cool:
    I'll have to try doing the 'old frame' that way next time :)

BTW (At the risk of appearing to be making excuses... lol)
    I am recovering from bronchitis at the moment and I don't usually practice fast, it's only the second time I've ever attempted a 'fast form' demo - yesterday was the first time!! :eek:
    I practise quick 'bits' quite often, on their own, or within slow form, always have done, but never usually as a whole form. I wanted to see what would come out in the moment and I also wanted to respond to the recent Chen/Yang debate/discussion/comparison in the IMA forum with something of my own.
    Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result as a 'first attempt', but I'd like to film it again after a couple of months practice and when I'm 100% fit and well for comparison :cool:

PS The little dog is Winston, technically a Jack Russell, he insists he's a 'Bonsai Great Dane' tho... :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  10. middleway

middleway Valued Member

im not doing anything with your Nizzle!!

:D

by the way TJB ... your form seems to have changed a bit ... your obviously working good things ... keep it up mate!

Cheers
    Chris

11. Taiji Butterfly

Thanks a lot :)
    Like I've said before, I don't consider myself a pure Yang stylist anymore, although my pattern is basically YCF, I'm just thinking neijiaquan as a whole all the time, rather than being even a Taiji purist. I watch and I learn, I experiment constantly.
    The form's absorbed all sorts over the years - especially since I met you and Alex - it's much more 'internal' these days but always trying to express jin at some level. When you first met me, my form was definitely 'empty', and you guys generously gave me stuff to fill it up and shape it out - especially the peng, lu, jie, an workshop and the 'heirloom mirror' workshop a bunch of us did with Alex about a year ago. A big difference has been that I do much more standing and neigong than I used to these days too.
    I've adjusted some of my frame to make it more functional, less flowery, changed a few moves back to more traditional YCF Taiji and absorbed a lot of old frame into it too - especially the 'bridging' steps. I've previously absorbed a lot of Chen ideas and some Wu stuff too, always working from the idea that all Taiji is basically the same, but with different emphases and specialities. (There's also quite a strong Japanese influence in there from ninjutsu and aikido which I've dabbled in over the years lol! :rolleyes: ) My form's also informed from playing with others - it absorbs that too... Basically, I just keep trying stuff out, if I like it, I absorb it, if I don't, I throw it out!
    I know there are still huge gaps in my knowledge and skills, but hey what else keeps us training?
    Happy Training all :cool:

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Woof Woof Quack Quack! Yeah, cant say I disagree judging by our last training session. :D

Nice forms guys, very enjoyable!

13. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Good work TJB - loved the doggie too. Dogs rock. They should be in all Taiji videos. :)

14. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Effin' great chris! :D

James

15. Taiji Butterfly

Another quick point about my clip:
    A large portion of the third section is missing, including a really snazzy double strike, I left it out because I wasn't feeling up to doing too much today, but I really wanted to do the filming anyway in spite of all that. (cue: violins :cry: lol :cool: )
    Next time I'll do the whole lot and hopefully a bit faster, with more focussed intent, more strikes and kicks and a few more fajins thrown in!! :D

16. middleway

middleway Valued Member

lets get some more peoples quick tai chi up.

jkzorya, have you got anything taped that you could put up?

ITS, Visage, Cloudy ....

:D

cheers
    Chris

17. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

If TJB and I meet up again soon, I'll see if he wants to jump behind the camera :)

I don't know the whole form though, so it would just be part 1 :eek:

James

18. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I've never got around to posting anything on Youtube. I wouldn't know how, actually and I'm quite wary of doing so.

There's a tiny snippet of me doing some Chen style xin jia form on one of our DVDs in the intro, but to be absolutely honest, I'm not a big fan of doing form demos. My left hip has very little movement in it, so sometimes people are quite critical - my form is never going to look as good as an able bodied person's, so I focus on hands-on training, which I much prefer.

My teaching approach is geared more to contact work too, and students refining skill over time. I like them to build a strong martial spirit first (xin), learn the movement principles (yi), build their cardio-vascular fitness (could this be qi?) and body strength (li) and learn to relax it all and use the body more holistically with greater skill as they develop. Actually I expect them to be perfect from day one, but I know when to quit bugging them and settle for less than perfection. :)

Also regarding clips per se, people sometimes say "oh that would never work against blah blah" and I just think they're often missing the point or else deliberately trying to shoot down the opposition. I only comment on clips when I have something positive to say. If I post stuff I'll only end up having to defend it and I could do without the grief. And when you post clips as a woman you can get e-mails from men...

Loads of excuses in other words... :D I haven't got anything I want to post at the moment (why didn't she just say that :bang: :bang: ?)

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

is ok I enjoyed reading it, but whatever you do, don't tell about my emails!!

p-l-e-a-s-e..

20. Taiji Butterfly

He's great, he sits and waits or just amuses himself whenever I practice. Bless him :cool:

BTW did you notice at 7.27 on the clip the COSMIC QITM coming out of my palms??

(or was it just my breath in the cold air...) :D :D :D roflmao