Yang Sam Khum

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by seany85, Jul 24, 2005.

1. seany85

seany85 Valued Member

Ok, I have a problem when I go to the use the Yang Sam Khum on me lead tae cheng (sp?), when I preform the footwork, instead of mu lead leg bouncing on the same spot and my right leg going off on a 45 degree angle, I have a tendency to skip my lead leg back.

I was wanting to know if anyone on here knows any training methods to stop me from doing it.

thanks for any replies.

2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

I'd just say perform it slowly over and over and over and over...until it's so drilled into you that you have nightmares about it :)

3. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

It's a pretty safe bet that a lot of people including myself have no clue what a Yang Sam Khum or a tae cheng is. So if you could state what the western names for what you're talking about are then i'm sure you'll get a lot more replies.

4. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

Yang Sahm Khum is the three step boxing walk...if you are in left lead for instance, you slide your rear leg forward, then the left and then lift up the right leg, shield and step down into right lead. It's the cornerstone for boxing movements.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  5. seany85

seany85 Valued Member

I was tryin to put it into the right words.

Tae cheng (sp?) is the round house kick that comes up on 45 degrees.

6. Jahk Nah Rai

"dhe chieng" or diagonal roundhouse...we got it.

Seems your brain is in a sort of a hiccup where you like to skip and then kick instead of stepping off at an angle off your right leg. I think you need to perform several hundred of them so your brain readjusts to the "left" side mentality. What I mean is you're doing it because you're thinking "right side" over the left side. Kicking with the left side seems odd to your brain. That's why you find yourself putting the right leg forward first, skipping the left back and then kicking because it feels more comfortable to have your dominant foot forward first all the time.
    Train to think left side as well and do these exercises repetitively to achieve an equal balance for both sides. Repeat and you will find yourself comfortable kicking from the left, with or without right leg forward. Trust me it'll happen. I've had to reprogram my brain as well and now I'm happy to say my left kicks are just as painful as my right ones.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  7. seany85

seany85 Valued Member

Thanks for the advice Jahk Nah Rai, and the correct spelling.
    I'll get practicing it straight away.

8. Jahk Nah Rai

hehe sometimes it's written as "te" but it's really pronounce "dhe" with a "th" sound.
    Yea just work on making the left kick second nature so you stop switching. Switch kicking is ok for some scenarios like when you are closer to your target and you want to create room. Other times you'd want to step forward with your right because the gap is too wide.

9. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

Yang Sam Khum - The Giants three stride movement.

Is also refered to as footwork performed by camps, or all footwork performed by camps.

We have one at our gym, devised to test balance, strength and mental awareness.

Your skipping foot should go forward, even if it is only a couple of inches... forward forward forward!