Xue's recovery and return log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

October 22, 2022
    Went for a walk today x2

October 21, 2022
    Did the changed routine
    Went for a walk, legs got tired quick

October 20, 2022
    Could not get myself to the routine so I did legs and crunches
    Leg extensions - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg Curls - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts on back - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts on side - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts face down - 10 reps 2 sets
    Crunches 60
    Reverse crunch 15

October 19, 2022 - Changed the routine a bit - Warmup still the same - still light weight
    1) Hang
    2) Pull down - Bowflex - 8 reps, 1 sets
    3) Chin up (kinda) pull down - Bowflex - 8 reps, 1 set
    4) Exercise fro Rhomboids from Physical Therapy - 12 reps, 2 sets
    5) Shoulder Shrugs - 10 reps, 2 sets
    6) pull/row - total gym, - 8 reps, 2 sets
    7) seated chest press - total gym - 8 reps, 2 sets
    8) Seated Surfer - total gym - 1 set, 16 reps
    9) Kettlebell squats
    10) crunches - 60
    11) Crunch hold, legs up too - hold 30 seconds
    12) Yoga Bridge - 3 reps with 30 second hold each rep
    13) lay on stomach - reverse crunch - 30
    14) farmers carry - three laps around my basement (this is roughly 192 feet - I have a large basement)
    15) Hang

Mitch likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

October 22, 2022
    Went for a walk today x2

October 21, 2022
    Did the changed routine
    Went for a walk, legs got tired quick

October 20, 2022
    Could not get myself to the routine so I did legs and crunches
    Leg extensions - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg Curls - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts on back - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts on side - 10 reps 2 sets
    Leg lifts face down - 10 reps 2 sets
    Crunches 60
    Reverse crunch 15

October 19, 2022 - Changed the routine a bit - Warmup still the same - still light weight
    1) Hang
    2) Pull down - Bowflex - 8 reps, 1 sets
    3) Chin up (kinda) pull down - Bowflex - 8 reps, 1 set
    4) Exercise fro Rhomboids from Physical Therapy - 12 reps, 2 sets
    5) Shoulder Shrugs - 10 reps, 2 sets
    6) pull/row - total gym, - 8 reps, 2 sets
    7) seated chest press - total gym - 8 reps, 2 sets
    8) Seated Surfer - total gym - 1 set, 16 reps
    9) Kettlebell squats
    10) crunches - 60
    11) Crunch hold, legs up too - hold 30 seconds
    12) Yoga Bridge - 3 reps with 30 second hold each rep
    13) lay on stomach - reverse crunch - 30
    14) farmers carry - three laps around my basement (this is roughly 192 feet - I have a large basement)
    15) Hang

axelb and Nachi like this.
  3. Xue Sheng

October 24, 2022

Went to the Y this morning, exercise bike then did work on the weight machines, abs, back, leg extensions, leg curls, work on glutes.

FOllowed by the the above routine at home

Then this evening, the taijiquan applications and push hands class

Nachi likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

October 29, 2022
    Well I finished week 3 of the Dan John routine... only missed 1 day, last Thursday, I was not feeling well and quite exhausted, went to sleep early. felt fine the next day. And there was another day when I focused just on legs.

Taijiquan applications class has been extended until at least the end of the year. Xingyiquan is not going to happen, and I am not going to do the online either. might look into studying taijiquan under an additional (Yang style related) lineage.... currently in the Tung Ying Chieh line. Thinking of the Cheng Manching line via William CC Chen.

Mitch likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

November 01, 2022

Last night's Application/push hands class was great

Also I am now pretty sure, at this point, I'm going to follow that Cheng Manching line via William CC Chen and the person who is my teacher for a bit and see where it goes. This is giving me an aspect of taijiquan I find very interesting that I have not come across so strongly in Traditional Yang. And I find the view of push hands intriguing. All in all I think it will make me a better taijquan person

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sorry 'bout the HI. Very glad to see you continue to use the legs!

What's the aspect from William's TC of which ye speak? The bone weariness method of form execution?

I know your teacher felt this way,but Tung's TC = "Traditional Yang"?- what with all the Wu/Li/Hao influence? I find it has its own distinct flavor from the obvious rounding of the limbs to some of the "additional mechanics" in particular Wu influenced postures to the HEAVY emphasis on p'eng throughout the form execution.(And our not so secret secret hand shape-and its purpose).

For the most part both Professor's and Tung's are primarily big frame Yang forms-even if Cheng's exterior frame leads people to think otherwise.(Blame Chiang,Ch'ing-ling for that-among other things).

7. Xue Sheng

Have done Tung Ying Chieh Taijiquan for years, almost 30. Learned from one of his students. ALso have done Cheng Manchin's taijiquan as well. It is William CC Chen focuses more on the martial side of things. Power generation is a bit different. Just something different enough that I want to find ot more

axelb likes this.
  8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I hadn't forgotten your Tung background. Glad you could find someone from William's line who is pugilistic. Not all of 'em do it.

I don't know the particulars of William's "jinging" (;)) but from having had a couple students who had studied with his students it seemed the diff was the addition of some western boxing mechanics.Of course the guys I had only had at most a year and a half to two years experience so hard to draw too many conclusions.

I've probably told you before that William was my second teacher's 1st instructor,one of his early students.They're still buddies. My teacher eventually ended up studying w/Professor for several years until Cheng's death.

9. Xue Sheng

The teacher is a long time student and a teacher for WCCC. He was a Kempo uy years before and a Kempo teacher a well. But he is staying within the confines of taijiquan in his applications, not turning into a boxer. I have known him for awhile and he spent much of his early years in taiji working on Yin to overcome the Yang of Kempo. His push hands is also a bit different, with more emphasis on the front leg at times than I am use to. But it works well for him and I am intrigued so.... I go to class.

However I will admit I am not as much of a fan of WCCC actual form. I would much prefer the CMC form over WCCC's, if I were looking to do a shorter form that came from CMC

10. Xue Sheng

November 11, 2022
    Going to continue the Taijiquan applications class this week and I will start the WCCC version of the Jian form too

axelb likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

November 15, 2022
    Last night's push hands/applications class was very cool..
    But surprisingly the Jian class I am now taking was cooler..... he is doing applications there too.... talking the possibility of fencing later

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Mitch and Nachi like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

November 22, 2022

Another great class last night of applications and Jian with applications

Nachi likes this.
  13. Xue Sheng

November 24, 2022 (Happy Thanksgiving)

I had to change the exercise routine. I was over doing it a bit, noticed I felt weaker so I needed to change things, split things, with the occasional day off
    What I am now doing is generally every other day, but sometimes I put legs on a seperate day

Warm Up consists of the combinations of 2 warmups I have learned from taijiquan, a bit of Baguazhang and some standing yoga poses

1) Hang
    2) Pull down, wide grip - Bowflex - 10 to 12 reps, 1 sets
    3) Pull down, narrow grip - Bowflex - 10 to 12 reps, 1 sets
    4) Chin up (kinda) pull down - Bowflex - 10 to 12 reps, 1 set
    5) Chin up (kinda) pull down, narrow grip - Bowflex - 10 to 12 reps, 1 set
    6) Exercise for Rhomboids from Physical Therapy - 12 reps, 2 sets
    7) Shoulder Shrugs - 10 reps, 2 sets
    8) cable pull - total gym, - 10 - 12 reps, 2 sets
    9) crow cable row - total gym, - 10 - 12 reps, 2 sets
    10) Seated chest press - total gym - 10 to 12 reps, 2 sets
    11) Shoulder press - Dumbbells - 10 to 12 reps, 2 sets
    12) Kettlebell squats - 10 to 12 reps, 2 sets
    13) crunches - 60
    14) Crunch hold, legs up too - hold 30 seconds
    15) Yoga Bridge - 10 reps with 30 second hold last 3 rep
    16) lay on stomach - reverse crunch - 30
    17) locust pose hold 30 seconds
    18) Hang

Following could be same day with the next day off, or could be split to the next day

1) Leg extensions - 10 reps 2 sets
    2) Leg Curls - 10 reps 2 sets
    3) Leg lifts on back - 10 reps 2 sets
    4) Leg lifts on side - 10 reps 2 sets
    5) Leg lifts face down - 10 reps 2 sets
    6) leg stretches

I don't actually have kettlebells, I was using this
    But I recently got this, this can hold more weight and frees up my dumbbells
    Both have worked well for me

axelb likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

November 28, 2022

Taijiquan application and sword (jian) class was exceptionally good.

Makes me begin to seriously think, that after 30 years of Yang Style in the Tung Ying Chieh lineage....that I might call that quits and go with the Cheng Manching via William CC Chen route. May also go back and revisit the Cheng Manching form via another of Cheng Manching's students, Robert Chuckrow. By the way, in all seriousness, my Yang shifu would probably disown me if I told him I was thinking about this, little alone seriously considering it

As far as other exercise, just getting back to that this week. I don't know how, but on Thanksgiving day I did something to my back and I was taking it easy.

axelb likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

December 6, 2022

Classes went great last night, got into a bit of Qinna in the applications class. Sword (jian) class was also pretty good, I really like the explanation of application that is being taught with the form.

axelb likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

December 12, 2022

Missed the applications class due to an ankle issue, but did get to the Jian class. I really like the applications he talks about and the detail he goes into in the form.

axelb likes this.
  17. Xue Sheng

December 18, 2022

Been too busy to get to Wing Chun since the school year started, trying to set up 2 private lessons with my sifu while the kids are on a Christmas break.

Nachi likes this.
  18. Xue Sheng

December 20, 2022

Have 2 private lessons in wing chun scheduled, one this week and one after the first of the year.

Last nights taijiquan application class was once again great and I am really liking this Jian form that comes from Cheng Manching via William CC Chen. I have never been a fan of the Jian before, always preferred the Dao. But I do really like this Jian form.

Next 2 weeks off from Taijiquan school, school closed or the holidays.

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I didn't mean anything like "turning into a (western) boxer"-but William does do some things from there.

Operating off the front foot is quite useful-and is known to puzzle some who haven't come up against it afore.

I've practiced Professor's form in William's manner just to do it but didn't care for the flavor/feel.Very,very,very relaxed but as I told my teacher it felt too "dead" to me.But that's personal taste.I do like that he put the extracted moves back in.
    That's GREAT! Hardly anyone does much sword basics/apps. The fencing tho' somewhat limited in scope is quite fun. If it's "sticking" sword fencing it may seem strange at first if you haven't done any but it's quite applicable when fencing against other systems who use jian/gim.
    Well,one has only so much time to practice,but ya might occasionally wanna keep your hand in Tung's method.
    If you like the C.C.Chen class you're in I wouldn't bother w/the time to practice Professor's sequence.

My Tung teacher was my 5th and last instructor. When I told him my 2nd teacher was a student of Cheng he exclaimed "Cheng,Man-ch'ing? He was GOOD!" I was quite surprised.

Take care w/that back.Mine's been acting up.
    Sorry been so long,been occupied.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  20. Xue Sheng

December 23, 2022

Yesterday's Wing Chun class was great, go back for another after the first of the year. Not sure when I will be able to get back. I know I will be able to go back to regular classes in June, but between January and June, not so sure.

However Sifu is giving me stuff, other than the first form, to work on. And I do really need to work on these, mostly the Wing Chun low kicks with power and speed.