Xue's recovery and return log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow, that sounds awful :O Let us know how it went! And good luck with the procedure. I hope it helps. :(

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

October 09, 2021

Procedure done and I am now under doctors orders to be very aggressive with the PT exercises . PT had me dong them 3 times a day and now it is a minimum of 6 times a day. Started this morning with round one of the stretches and strengthening. Round 2 is going ot be in about 5 minutes. I also return to PT Monday.

As for the knee, it hurts today, but that i to be expected. But it only hurst about 1/3 of what it did after the replacement surgery. Hopefully, this is the beginning to a return to more serious Martial arts training.

3. Xue Sheng

November 09, 2021
    Seeing a light, off in the distance, at the end of the tunnel
    I have been on crutches since October 8th manipulation, much of that was to retrain myself to walk properly again. THe Physical Therapist told me yesterday to start working with a cane. More retraining myself how to walk, but at least i'm now 3 legged instead of 4. Also I am suppose to be wrapping the knee when I am up and about for long periods fo time. Hopefully this will cut down on the swelling.

I also have greater range of motion in the knee. So it appears the manipulation did what it was supposed to do, and as long as I do what I'm supposed to do, it is heading in the right direction.

Also on a happy note, Mrs Xue wanted me to get out the 12 foot ladder and clean the leaves off the gutter covers. Told that to the PT who said he absolutely didn't want me to be on a ladder at this point. So..the gutters will have to wait :D

Grond and axelb like this.
  4. Xue Sheng

November 24, 2021
    Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Happy thanks giving to you!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

December 13, 2021

Well, after not feeling great for a couple days, acid reflux issues returning, checking my BP today, which is usually 110/70, and it was 134/87. My weight is up, my knee still is not recovered........so I decided it is time to seriously head back to vegetarianism..... so I will go back to pollotarianism...started today.

pollotarian - mostly vegetarian but also eats chicken.

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

do you have fish also on that diet? I don't think I heard of that before, but I know a lot of pescatarian (vegetarian and fish)

8. Xue Sheng

I am not a fan of fish or seafood so possibly but not likely... pollotarianism is also referred to a semi-vegetarian

Pollotarianism is the practice of adhering to a diet that incorporates poultry as the only source of meat in an otherwise vegetarian diet.

While "pollo" specifically means chicken in both Spanish and in Italian (with “pollame” meaning poultry in general in Italian), pollotarians are known to incorporate different forms of poultry, like duck and turkey in their diet. Pollotarians may also eat dairy products The term "pollo-vegetarian" was first used in nutritional textbooks in the 1980s to describe a semi-vegetarian diet that incorporates poultry.

axelb likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

December 18, 2021

Interesting difference between what the Physician's Assistant (PA) said, and what the Doctor/Surgeon (MD) said about my knee, at my 6 months post surgery appointment last week

Per PA, my knee is 6 months after surgery and the flexibility is not what it should be, it is at 110 degrees flexion and I should have full range by now. He feels I need another manipulation. I could schedule it that day if I wanted or I could wait till January, but he said I should not wait until any later than January, if I do it might be to late to get any real gains from the manipulation. Of course this conversation was rather depressing for me.

As I was leaving office. literally 5 seconds after walking out of the PA's exam room, I ran into my MD in the hall of his office.

MD asked me how was doing and I told him the same as I told the PA (who was standing right next to him at that moment) MD then asked what's your range of motion, I told him 110 degrees, to which I expected the "you may need a 2nd manipulation" response. He said that's good, many are at only 100 or less at 6 months, your doing fine. Then he told me, "Here's what you do. 5 minutes on reclining bike at the seats furthest extension, then move it in one step, 5 minutes more then move in one more step, 5 minutes more. But don't get upset if 10 minutes it rough, or you can't finish it the first time....you'll get your range back....other than that you're good." Needless to say this made me feel much better.

I have gotten from the furthest setting of 15 to 9 already. Although it takes me almost the full 5 minutes at 9 to get to a full, forward revolution without forcing it, Per the PT (Physical Therapist) I had, forcing it was bad if I was still dealing with inflammation, and I am.

I have a follow up scheduled with the PA in June, I think I will see if I can change that to the MD

10. Xue Sheng

December 23, 2021

Got to 115 degrees flexion at PT today and they are switching me over to a lot of strengthening.

Merry Christmas

11. Xue Sheng

December 23, 2021

You know, I never timed how long it was taking todo my ever expanding list of knee stretches and exercises I have been given by the Physical Therapist and the Doctor until today..

1 hour 30 minutes.....that's just for the knee and the legs.... no wonder I never get them finished on the days I go into the office

axelb likes this.
  12. axelb

That's a long time! I can see how that's hard to fit into the day

13. Xue Sheng

Next PT appointment they are supposed to give me an exercise routine that takes away some of the things they currently have me doing. They want to focus more on strength now. I have 2 more PT appointments left and then my insurance may not pay for anymore, so they are trying to get a routine for me to do on my own

Nachi likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

January 10, 2022

PT appointment today, got a few new strengthening exercises and apparently, there is scar tissue building around my knee cap they are working to break up.

Also, we had a freezing rain and sleet storm here yesterday, coated everything with a 1/4 inch of ice. Then we had a surprise snow last night, no weather station reported we were going to have. Got to PT and the parking lot was just ice. I got out of my car, almost got to the sidewalk that was actually clear of ice, when both feet went out from under me and I hit the pavement. Much to my surprise, when I had stopped and was on the ground, I was in a perfect position for having done a break fall. Was happy about that for a moment, then got rather angry, uttered a few expletives about the parking lot being covered with ice, then tried to get up. However I couldn't get up, not because there was any injury, but because the whole place was slippery and covered with ice. Had to push myself, while siting on the ice, about 3 feet to get to a clear pavement spot so I could stand.

Interesting bit, at least to me, is I have not done any serious work on falls in over 40 years, not since I left Japanese Jujutsu.

Nachi likes this.
  15. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am sorry to hear you fell like that. I hope you're not hurt. But it's awesome you managed to break fall! I heard this from a few people before that despite not practicing breakfalls all that much, when they were falling or in an accident like flying over the from of their bike, the body remembered! :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

April 19, 2022

Been awhile, just a quick post. Things, as far as I'm concerned, are not going well as I expected for the knee after the total replacement. Gong to see MD Friday and discuss with him so see where I stand and if anything else ha to be done.

17. Xue Sheng

April 25, 2022

OK, went to the MD/Surgeon last Friday. Every new (mechanical) part of my new knee is fine. Could be scar tissue, but he does not think it is all that major. However there is swelling, and since I'm old, and do have some varicose veins it may take much longer for the swelling to go down, or it could become chronic. It is an appliance which has been installed in my leg that my body is not happy about, hopefully things will calm down.

He did ask me if I was doing any stationary bike, I told him yes, twice a day. He said "Stop" do it only once a day, you are likely causing inflammation doing bike twice a day. Also my instructions to set the seat as far back as I can, peddle 5 minutes, move it closer, peddle 5 minutes, repeat but only do this for 15 to 20 minutes.

Also he checked my range of motion, I was able to bend to 105 degrees, without warm up after sitting for almost 2 hours. When I forced it a bit I got to 110. He said most don't get that far, but 115 is the goal.

I told him I was doing strengthening exercises form physical therapy as well, he did not care about those. ALso was told that the hardest things to get back were walking down stairs and kneeling, and that I may never get kneeling back.

So, this may improve, or this may be the way it is for the rest of my life. So, with that in mind, I better get moving and get use to it. So last night I spent some time working on JKD footwork, nothing strenuous, the step slide forward and backward thing. ANd then Xingyiquan foot work, aka the chicken step.

Then did what I could of the short Sun taijiquan form I know, 24 form and the Traditional Yang long form. I did not complete any of them, but I worked on them

To come today
    20 minutes on recumbent bike
    some total gym
    wide leg deadlift (light weight, 30 lbs kettlebell)
    Strength band twists
    and then taijiquan, what I can do.

So now it is time to work on getting back and recovery. since all my new parts appear to be in the proper place.

axelb likes this.
  18. Xue Sheng

April 28, 2022

Starting to think about the possibility of dabbling in JKD again during the summer...... working on easy step slide footwork, seems to be going ok, just as long as I brace the left knee (the one that is still mine)

axelb likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

May 17, 2022

Discovered something yesterday while watching my youngest play tennis. This has been an issue ever since I had the knee replaced when walking. I walk there is something that I can only describe as a hard joint click. Yesterday at tennis while I was walking upstairs to watch her play, I swear it was audible.

As I stood there I felt it again, just standing. Then I took a look. My knee is moving laterally 45 degrees to the front, that was the noise and the feeling I get. If I tighten the muscles on the inside of my knee, it goes away or it is much less noticeable.

So, it appears I have to start regularly exercising the Vastus Medialis and Gastrocnemius muscles. Found a few exercises and now I just have to do them and see what happens

20. Xue Sheng

May 18, 2022

For once not about me, even though its my log

A friend of mine, who has been teaching Modern Wushu, Sanshou and Taijiquan for years. Who also trained JKD, and trains Kyokushin Karate. and BJJ, told me yesterday that after 12 years he is going to receive his Black belt in BJJ, in a Gracie lineage. :)

Also talking to him last night may have inspired me to train things differently... more later...maybe

Nachi and axelb like this.