Xue Sheng's - Old beat up guy returns to training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

That is nice Xue. Seems like you are making some big strides if your knees are allowing you to do that!

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Lol, how long did they (are they) stay?

Visits from Ngoihfú and Daaihbaak being much more pleasant affairs than from Ma and Yima as they were generally less meddlesome and they had reasonably lengthed stays whereas mother-in-law, eldest auntie and so forth would always stay the maximum time allowed - six months - and there was no amount of compromising on it. :rolleyes:

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

They leave Tuesday.... and so far the peace has held...but then I will not be seeing them today

4. Xue Sheng

Well I am back here again, generally pops up when my knees are working, but I didn't think it would this time for some reason

It seems that I always end up back at, "why am I doing taijiquan?" "Why not just focus on Xingyiquan, fitness and Qigong?"

I should probably seriously contemplate this for a change and not just dismiss it or jump ship immediately, only to return to Taiji later, as I have done in the past

5. Xue Sheng

-short bike ride
    -Cardio work
    -Shadow boxing
    -Core
    -Chuck Norris, 3 favorite Total Gym exercises
    -Fajin form
    -Xingyiquan forms: Paoquan, Piquan, Bengquan (3 different), Zuanquan, Hengquan (3 different)
    -Bag work, both light and heavy using; Piquan, Zuanquan, Bengquan, Paoquan and Hengquan

-Piquan alternate leg, forms work and on bag

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. Xue Sheng

A peace agreement has been reached...ok...it is not so much that there is a peace agreement as much as it is they got on a jet today and flew home

7. Xue Sheng

Cardio
    Taiji Long form
    Taiji Fajin form
    Xingyiquan Wuxing; Pi, Zuan, Beng, Pao, Heng.

Figured out something last night about Piquan. Read a few books on Xingyiquan and in at least one of the old translations and one form Di Guoyong, they talk about the striking force of Piquan and how it can move the person being hit quite a long way backwards. This is not magic of Qi it is how the body reacts to being hit and physics. The force is said to go downward, forward and then upward (This all happens pretty fast by the way). And it is that upward force and forward that breaks the root and causes the other person to fall down. The initial downward/forward causes the person being hit to resist and push back, this to helps with the breaking of the root using the forward and upward force.

The downward and forward are pretty obvious but I could not figure out where the heck the upward came in or how you got any force in it and still maintain structure. I think last night I figured it out and it all has to do with the trailing foot and the hitting of the ground with no backward movement that does that.

Now as I said, I think I figured it out, but I am in no way able to apply it yet with speed and power...only took me about 20 years (of non-contiguous training) to get here, so I have no idea how long it will be till I can make it work like the old translation and Di Guoyong say it is supposed to work

8. Xue Sheng

Not much last night, had to be at a piano recital.

Did go for a rather long walk yesterday, but beyond that the only thing I had time for was Chuck Norris, 3 favorite Total Gym exercises.

Did the Engine 2 warm-up this morning

9. Xue Sheng

Holy Core Batman, did some new core work, only 3 exercises on the total gym yesterday and they are still effecting me, in a positive way today. Also did CN's 3 favorite total gym exercises again and he engine 2 stuff. As well as some xingyi and taiji

Not sure if it is ok to post links to the videos or that page these exercises are on here on MAP, so I have not provided them

Today, I technically did not work out, but I did dig a 4 foot long trench in #2 river stone to sink a drain pipe and mow the lawn.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sounds like a workout to me, not a MA workout, but still a workout!:weightlifter:

11. Xue Sheng

How can it not be a Martial Arts Workout.....I mean I'm using "Chuck Norris'" 3 favorite Total gym exercises......snd if it has any association with Chuck Norris it MUST be martial arts :D

12. Xue Sheng

Engine2 exerciase

All the rest Yang style

Long form X1
    Fast form x 2
    Fajin set X 6
    Short Dao form X 3
    Long Dao form X 1.5

13. Xue Sheng

Just total gym last night.

My legs were still beat from the night before and all that taiji.

14. Xue Sheng

Yang Long Form
    Fast Form
    Fajin form

1 time each

15. Xue Sheng

Nothing last night, not feeling well

16. Xue Sheng

Bike ride yesterday, mediation and qigong

Thinking about returning to my vegetarian ways... I felt better then......possibly even giving vegan a go

Also thinking about adding more weight work to my workout

17. Xue Sheng

This morning, I am changing things a bit, lifting more, but at this point the heavy is not all that heavy, at least compared to what it use to be

Engine2 workout

Total gym
    1) Pull overs - 15 at level 3
    2) cross cable rows - 15 at level 3
    3) standard row - 15 at level 3
    4) press - 15 at level 3

Dumbbell work
    1) Triceps curls - 10 light at 10 pounds, 2 sets of 5 at 20 pounds
    2) Pulls - 10 light at 10 pounds, 2 sets of 5 at 25 pounds
    3) Biceps curls - 10 light at 10 pounds, 2 sets of 5 at 25 pounds

Started back at serious mediation today, but only short period of time eight now, I will advance as time goes on
    10 minutes

Tonight Taijiquan and hopefully Zhan Zhuang

18. Xue Sheng

Getting over food poisoning so nothing to report

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ahh, I thought you were talking about the trench digging and lawn mowing. That is what I was referring to.:p

Edit- sorry to hear about the food poisoning. That is not fun to go through.

20. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

What's Taijiquan? I assume it related to TaiJi...