Xue Sheng's - Old beat up guy returns to training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Did a little breakfast experiment

Yesterday morning I had a carb free dairy free breakfast (at 6:30am)

Romaine Lettuce with cashew butter and thinly sliced bananas and I made a smoothie (blueberries, strawberries a banana a peach pomegranate juice almond milk and crushed flax seed. (I did not drink all of it, only 1 glass) and I was full until 1:00.

Today (at 6:30)I went back to the old breakfast 2 pieces of wheat toast, peanut butter, yogurt and an avocado and I was staving by 10:45

Exercise/Training

On the evening of the 19th I did Taiji (Yang, Chen) and Yoga and I felt great.

Last night I did Xingyiquan...... and today.... my knees are killing me. ..... I am not happy about this......I am going to class tonight and I am not sure how my knee will take it, I guess I need to talk to my teacher.

2. Xue Sheng

A lot of Yang style tonight and the knees did pretty good with taiji... no xingyi

3. Xue Sheng

Horrible weekend..... full of stuff I did not want to do with associated (and unassociated)arguing.

As for any training, all I got was swimming, and not much of that, yesterday.

Can't wait till this weeks over, eye surgery this week.

Actually, as much as I really hate wishing time away, I can't wait until Septembers over (if all goes as scheduled) Then both eyes will be done and I can get back to training like I want to.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hope everything goes well with the eye surgery buddy.

5. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Good luck with the eye surgery Xue. Get it done, rest up and then the training can resume!

6. Xue Sheng

Thanks LemonSloth, Thanks Brian.

Friday I will probably be looking like Pirate though....all I need is a parrot for my shoulder and a cutlass for my belt and I will be good to go. :D

7. Xue Sheng

Was reading a post from someone new to taiji earlier today on another forum and they were talking about how much better it made them feel and that got me thinking of what taiji did for me when I first started training it and for some reason that lit a bit of a taiji torch under me so tonight I went to my basement and did; The Yang Long form, the first part of the Chen 18 form the first single and double hand sets of Chen style Chan su jinm some Zhan Zhuang and I ended with mediation... Felt pretty darn good....

Good Night MAP where ever you are

8. Xue Sheng

Well, surgery over for eye number 1... Home now and time for a nap

9. Xue Sheng

Can't do much for a week except go for walks, have to let the eye recover. Then I get a week I can train and then the 2nd week of September I do the other eye so it is a week of not doing much again

10. LemonSloth

Worst comes to worst, have you considered maybe adding light weighted walks instead of regular ones? They work wonders for your general fitness and if you go light it shouldn't cause any problems with your knees.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and all that.

11. Xue Sheng

Thanks

Can't lift anything over 20 lbs for a week and I can't bend over for a week either. Nothing that might increase the pressure to my eye. My hiatus is due to cataract surgery and hopefully by the end of September all will be back to normal.

Surprisingly the knees have been doing pretty good lately

12. Xue Sheng

Left I is far sited and the right eye is near sited.... and it is messing with my head.

That and I have a cold...

No training to report, just trying to stick to the eating plan

13. Xue Sheng

Figured out some things I can do.

Zhan Zhuang and some exercises I picked up from a Huanyin Taijiquan guy...

Good stuff that is important to train and that will not put pressure on the eyes

Now I feel better

14. Xue Sheng

I am going to have to take a short break, or seriously cut back on web forums until after the surgery. It is real hard to read the screen at the moment, even with one lens popped out of my glasses. By the end of the day my bad eye actually was sore and the good eye was really tired.

Other than that I did get a long walk in yesterday and some Zhan Zhuang

15. Xue Sheng

just a quick note

Going to talk with my last Wing Chun teacher this week and go to my taiji sifu's class this week too

16. Xue Sheng

Just ate an entire Dove dark chocolate candy bar...haven't done that in years...likely I will not do it again for years either...and I will regret eating it later...but it was mighty good. ....but I am getting the other eye done tomorrow and I figured I deserve it today.

2 weeks form tomorrow I should be back training regularly... there is much work to do

Did go meet my Wing Chun sifu and got an impromptu, and incredibly fun, lesson. Saw my Taiji sifu and I will be back at that in 2 weeks

17. Xue Sheng

Surgery done.
    So far
    Left eye is now 20/20
    Right eye has a patch over it.

Cardio and strength work should be able to start again around the 25th of this month and I am hoping to get back to the MA training the first of October.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  18. LemonSloth

Glad to hear it.

Not long now!

19. Xue Sheng

Getting closer.... end of this week is the MD appointment and I will see what he has to say....

20. Xue Sheng

It is almost Friday and I am hoping the MD says I'm good to go. Had an issue yesterday that is causing me some eye pain today and I called the MD but no call back so far so I am thinking I am still good until Friday.

:thinking: weeeeeell

Now it is time to admit I did something, I took a dare, and I never take dares, didn't even take them waaaaaaaaaay back in elementary school (yes I rode a brontosaurus to school back then)

I am in horrible shape due to all my time off due to injury but apparently I am not any smarter. A family member was talking about the exercise programs they used to get in shape and stay in shape and I was not exactly receptive to it...you know...because I am a "manly" :fight1: martial artist and all around tough guy :rolleyes: :D

Weeeeeell they dared me to follow the program they started...."if my knees, back and eyes were not to old to handle it".... So I said I would.

So (now the big reveal, please be gentle with me and don't point and laugh to much) they gave me their copy of.... well.....Gilad’s Quick Fit System to follow.

And "if I could handle that" they had more for me to try

I took the dare, likely the first one in my life...and I will start on Monday

Just the same, I am in horrible shape and the moment so maybe it will help.

:thinking: or I could just tell them the doctor said it was a bad idea at the moment and then move to Alaska until they forgot about it :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014