xma does ksw (badly)

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by psbn matt, Oct 20, 2009.

1. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9IJxgK_PY"]YouTube - sword pattern[/ame]

2. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

That was not an improvement, SLOPY COPY !

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

XMA is just made up as it goes along anyway does anyone realy take it seriously?????

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I'm so confused. :confused: So very, very confused. :confused: :confused: :thinking:

What's the point of this thread, exactly, Matt? (seriously, mate, as I really can't figure it out :thinking: ).

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Is this what the fallout of KSW is going to look like?

I think I'm looking into a crystal ball!

6. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

the point unknowing is to entertain.
    maybe you should ask him if he wants to join the ksga and share his knowledge of kma?:evil:

7. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

YUP that was entertaining!
    Not got much to do with KS though.LOL

8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

According to his profile on YouTube he's aged 15 and it "only took him 8 years" to get to 3rd Degree Black Belt in? Taekwondo perhaps.

This is one of the problems with giving children black belts - regardless of the system they're in. They want everything yesterday, get bored, look at someone in another system, copy what they see them doing (without instruction) to the best of their ability, video it, and then put it on YouTube.

Yes, it was pretty crap... But at least he didn't shout every five seconds!

9. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

If you want 'entertaining' KiWest, try this one: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC9N17w3jlM&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube - Haedong Kumdo Korean Sword Martial Art Preview[/ame]

10. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

The hopping around was cute... I liked it. ;)

11. unknown-KJN

Please don't go there, Pugil, as I'm sure you actually know the benefits of what a good KIHAP can do, right?

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Of course... And you hear top-class Boxers doing it all the time! ;)

Look at what Norton did to Ali when he opened his mouth one time too often in their fight. :jawdrop:

13. unknown-KJN

As I understand it, using the voice along with the exhale is more beneficial to the implementation of the Ki energy, and only prescribed when executing hyung. Obviously, actual fighting/sparring dictates keeping your mouth closed when using this type of vociferous/vehement exhale to add power. And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't boxers exhale in a fashion similar to this when wanting to execute punches with power? I know for a fact that american football linebackers & hockey players usually do it when body-checking their opponents. And I'm pretty sure I've heard boxers do it too, although admittedly it has more of a sibilant/hissing sound as they usually tend to do it with clenched teeth in order to prevent what you mentioned happened to Muhammad Ali at the hands of Ken Norton. ;) :fight1:

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

It's not uncommon for anyone who, for example, when lifting something heavy will tighten their abdomen and grunt audibly with the exertion of their efforts. It seems to be quite natural. Shot-putters do the same, and quite a few women Tennis players (and some men) will grunt, or yell, as they hit the ball too.

Some years ago, a British Boxer named Alan Minter gained the nickname 'Boom Boom' on account of the noise he made every time he threw one of his big punches. Thai Boxers, and people who work the Thai Pads often hiss, as you mention, as they hit the pads. To be honest, in those cases I think that it's more about affectation and habit, rather than adding anything useful and/or beneficial to the exercise.

I do believe, however, that yelling can have a definite psychological effect on both the executer of the strike, and the recipient. Beneficial and positive in the first case, but not so in the latter. Sometimes when I'm teaching women's self-defence sessions I'll unexpectedly yell at someone mid-normal speech, just to show how the yell can produce an adrenalin dump, and cause the person to be momentarily 'disorganised' in their mind [sorry, it's late, and I couldn't think of another way to put it]. When someone is in that state, any strike delivered at that instant is very likely to have a much greater effect too.

Whether there is any need or benefit at all in yelling several times whilst performing a sword form, I am not so convinced. Although I can quite understand that, in the heat of a real battle, yelling loudly, whilst attacking the enemy, can indeed help to focus your mind, and keep your attack strong. That's one reason why Soldiers are always taught to yell when doing bayonet practice on the straw dummy targets.

Having said all that, I prefer the story of Gurkha's on exercise going round in the dark and tying sentry / lookouts boot laces together whilst they are wearing them and without them knowing about it. Beats the hell out of all that sharting abart!