Wu style videos

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Daniel-san, May 22, 2006.

1. Daniel-san

Daniel-san New Member

Can anyone reccomend some good videos on Wu style Tai Chi? My father in-law has recently started showing me the long form but we only get together every two weeks or so. Sometimes I forget what he showed me and would like to have a video for reference when I practice.

2. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

I'm sure someone will be able to help you out, but first a question from me.

How much do you get taught at each session? one posture, two, or half a dozen?

Secondly how much do/can you practice between sessions.

Maybe the simpler and cheaper solution would be to get your father in law to teach you fewer postures per session so that you can really get to grips with them. Providing you are not overdosed with new stuff and you have time to practice what is taught correctly, then you don't necessarily need a video.

Though having just looked at your bio, you might have difficulty getting enough time to practice if you still seriously practice your other styles.

Best of luck with your taiji.

P.S. which Wu do you do?

3. Daniel-san

Daniel-san New Member

Thanks for the advice/reply Vampire. I'm not sure exactly what Wu it is. He has started to teach me the "108 movement form".

I have done some research on the internet and every demonstration of Wu style forms that I see, looks vastly different from the last. Is this normal with Tai Chi? Each individual may do the same form very differently from the other?

I was thinking about a video more for reference when the old man is not around. I also thought that maybe I shouldn't confuse what he's showing me with something else, out of respect.

Should I be concerned with wether or not what he's showing me is correct?

(Father-in-law's instructor is an old chinese man in San Fransisco) He says he'll introduce me to him eventually....

As far as my Bio goes, I'm only training in JKD in addition to Tai Chi now. Tang Soo Do and Kenpo were in the past.

This past weekend, my father in-law slowed it down a bit and only showed me a few new postures, I think he sensed the pace that was more appropriate for me to retain what he's showed me. We are presently at a movement in the form that looks like a "punch" with a closed fist...if that makes any sense or sounds familiar.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  4. daftyman

I've only heard of the 108 form being associated with the Yang style, but it may be that what you are doing is the Wu Yu Xiang style which came from the Yang style (with a bit of chen thrown in later)

As for forms looking different? Well that's just the way it is I'm afraid. Different peoples understanding of what is going on changes how their form looks as a result. How about asking you father-in-law? Has his teacher got a video/DVD? If not could he suggest one?

I wouldn't worry too much about how correct things are, as no two taiji players will ever totally agree, e.g. how many taiji instructors does it take to change a light bulb? 108. One to change the bulb and the other 107 to complain that his alignment was incorrect etc.

How long has your father in law been practicing?

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If he is practising the Wu Chian Chuan 'Wu style', then the slow form is 108 steps.

If we are talking about the same Wu style (!) then there are variations in the way that the style is taught. For example, in Hong Kong it has tended to be taught rather differently than in Shanghai. As I understand it, some branches of the family have deviated somewhat from the original forms created by Wu Chian Chuan.

However, the Wu Chian Chuan Institute in Shanghai has attempted to standardise the teaching of the form. I suggest that you try to obtain one of their publications as a reference work if you want to ensure that you are studying the correct form.

6. daftyman

Is this one sometimes called Hao style, or is that the other Wu? hang on just googled the answer. Wu Yu Xiang is the founder of what is commonly termed Hao style.

As for the standardised version, would he not be better to find out what his father in law's version is? Otherwise he may get pulled in different directions. Same basic coremovements I guess, but different emphasis. Seems like a good place to start off though.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes, absolutely. It depends what style his father-in-law is teaching, which wasn't clear.

I was just trying to fill in one or two details about Wu Chian Chuan style, from what I know. I'm afraid I know nothing at all about the other Wu style, so I can't help there.

8. Daniel-san

Daniel-san New Member

All that the old man told me is that it is "Wu" style. He has been practising for 15 years now. He is from China and sometimes we have "east-meets-west" communication break downs. When I brought up the subject of styles he seemed to be a bit put off, and told me "style" does not matter. End of discussion.

The form starts off with the hands making a circular/sperical motion infront of the body and then weight tranfers to right leg, knees bend, arms move outward to sides, left arm sweeps around in front palm facing you, rear arm moves to rear, and then comes up to meet front hand as weight is then transferred into kind of a "front stance"..........
    I've see a couple of demos of the form online but it was vastly different from what I'm being shown to the point of me only recognising a few movements.

9. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Valued Member

Then it is Wu Chian Chuan style you are learning. There is book available in English by Ma Yueh Liang and Wu Ying Hua (son-in-law and daughter of Wu Chian Chuan) which might be of benefit to you. I don't know about videos but they are sure to be available.

10. Daniel-san

Daniel-san New Member

Thanks for the reply Uncle Bill.

Who doesn't have an Uncle named Bill somewhere....?

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The book is a good point of reference, but it wouldn't be possible to learn the form from it without a teacher. (Although I used it to relearn the form after a long break!)