Wu Shu Kwan

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Kikaku, Aug 5, 2005.

1. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

I thought it was common knowledge that the founders of Wu Shu Kwan were ITF Taekwondo exponents... that's why it looks like Shotokan. It is a modern hybrid style.

2. yann

yann Valued Member

wushukwan

Ahhhh wushukwan, many years ago, late eighties, early nineties? i watched them compete at crystal palace at the bkk open tournament.
    Mr chan did an excellent demo with his 'assistant' a sort of kata (forgive my chinese martial art ignorance) ;) with swords, there was a lot of sword contact (if my memory serves me rightly) & there was much applause from the (mainly kyokushinkai) audience.
    His fighters fared well-they were (to my eyes) executing knockdown karate techniques but with some expressive hand movements preceding their engagements-but!! they were as hard as nails!!! they wore gi's as was the rule, but they were allowed white tops & black trousers.
    They gave a great account of themselves and were only beaten by the top echelon of knockdown fighters (in my opinion) i think glen sharps protege' won??
    anyway, that's my wushukwan knowledge, i stand to be corrected :)
    oh, and mr chan's demo was followed by shihan arneil's demo which was a kata- i think it was tensho???
    this brought the house down'
    regards, yann.

3. Achillis

Achillis Valued Member

OMFG :bang:
    Is this guy for real :confused:

I wonder how many more years he needs to study MA to realise what a BS he wrote. :bang: :bang:

4. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

Perhaps you can answer this question
    When you do your forms, why you cant use the techniques in fighting ie having 16oz gloves on would make it very hard for you to apply a wrist strike or a chop, scratch or even a knife hand. Yes we all know it in the set but can you fight with it if you never use it in sparring as with the locks and other strikes what I have seen it is just kickboxing and the traditional side taking away a part from the form which you cant use in sparring or perhaps you could explain I am intrested :D :D

And I would be carefull in saying things like
    QUOTE However it differs to shotokan in several ways which make it a much more serious and effective style. UnQUOTE

This does show a lack of understanding in martial arts in general I am all for being dedicated to ones art but to say is is better than shotokan or any other style is just being childish

And to quote Wu Shu Kwan focus mainly on technique and speed, Kyokushinkai focuses on power and stamina (I once had to stand there and do 300 kicks to the face).Un quote mmmmmm!!!!!!!(poor you)

I think you have missed the plot to produce the power you need TECHNIQUE and if you can do 300 kicks and the last kick was as good as the first you should go and do 600 cause you havent been training hard enough.

There is a old saying fear a man that practice a thousand kicks apposed to a man that knows a thousand kicks

And I hardly think four kicks up and down is going to make you the next Bill super foot wallace. Do you

I am glad you like what you do and good for you honest!!

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ok I'll bite. Let's take a look at this stuff.

Ok, so basically what you are saying is, reasons 1-3 are what seperate shotokan karate from wushukwan. Those three points do not illustrate differences in the style, merely differences in the way that the practitioners conduct classes, gradings, and release of videos and books. So, basically what you are saying is that wushukwan and shotokan karate are identical, except for their gradings, and video and books?

Release of videos and books does not make the style less effective. Just because some fool records the first form from jook lum and sells to to some meatheads for $20 a pop doesn't devalue the system for me.

That is tosh. Don't generalize about "where chinese martial arts block from." There are so many different chinese arts that you can't say "where they block from." Some block from the ear, some from the shoulder, some from the center, and some from, well, wherever the heck you have your hand at the moment. I practiced wuzuquan for 2 years, and we punched with the fist in both the vertical and horizontal position. Actually, trouser color is not indicative of style at all. Ninjitsu practitioners (A JAPANESE STYLE) wear black uniforms. Tae kwon do practitioners (A KOREAN STYLE) wear white uniforms. I practice a chinese style, and I wear jeans!

I'm sure wushukwan is an excellent style, and that you are enjoying it.

6. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

I'm starting ITF TKD, and I must say that a large majority of the foundation OF WSK obviously stems from TKD. It's interesting since all 3 styles Shotokan/TKD/WSK are interlinked.

7. buhdahto

buhdahto New Member

In 1978, when I lived in England, I mentioned wu shu kwan to Paul H. Crompton, who at the time published a magazine called Karate & Oriental Arts. He said the founder of that style was a Singaporean Chinese with expertise in tae kwon do. According to Mr. Crompton, the man could not get along with the Koreans, so he gave his style a new name and said it was Chinese. I cannot confirm the accuracy of what I was told, but if you look at wu shu kwan on Youtube, it resembles tae kwon do. If Mr. Crompton was correct, wu shu kwan is simply tae kwon do with a different name.

8. seven_trees

seven_trees New Member

Wu Shu Kwan always confused me until I realisd it was Shotokan with some pretty hard kick boxing added onto it.

It could be a really good style if they dropped the Shotokan kata and the pretense that it is a Chinese Martial Art, I visited two seperate Wu Shu classes and those guys spar pretty hard and know their striking.

The unncessary add-ons lets it down though and probably prevent it from growing that much as it is still as unknown as it was 20 years ago.

9. laz001

laz001 Valued Member

I just went to a Wu Shu Kwan class - and it's almost identical to ITF tae-kwon do.

The warm up, consisting of line work and exercise, the blocks, inner, outer, upper, lower, knifehand, the pattern (the first pattern is a direct copy of Dan Gun!)

I've not done TKD in ten years, but i managed to get the pattern down first time - thats how similar it is.

The finally, (and i'd forgotten about this from TKD), we then did 3-step sparring! Unbeliveable! Attacker does 3 walking step punches, defender goes backwards and does 3 inner blocks. This is donee varying with outer blocks upper blocks and so on!

Now, the class was good, but I can't belive it's called 'Chinese' kickboxing, when it's not - it's slightly altered ITF taekwondo.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

They do longfist forms as well, but yeah, there's a large TKD element.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I practiced Wu Shu Kwan about 30 years ago – I think my instructors name was peter brigs. I went to quite a few of eddy chi’s classes. CK Chan was the top man. I did it for around 4 years, I was training for my brown belt grading when I left for university.

When I joined 30 years ago I was told that it was traditional Chinese boxing. There was no internet then and I had not seen anything to indicate any different. Since then I have seen and practiced a range of traditional Chinese arts.

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have studied wu shu kwan.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Why not? That implies that it's not worth studying in and of itself. You did it for 4 years, so you obviously enjoyed it, and it triggered a lifelong interest in Chinese martial arts. Yes, it's not what you want if you're looking for highly authentic TCMA, but it has some value as a system if it's what you ARE looking for.

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have studied wu shu kwan.

14. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

I'm interested to know what it is you know now that would have stopped you from doing it.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,he knows it's not a CMA.

He knows the org or representatives thereof perpetrated fraudulent marketing in presenting it as such.

That's two things he knows now he didn't know then.

16. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you say that this particular martial arts school has been marketed fraudulently? Where's your factual evidence to back up that statement?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  17. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I trained in Wu Shu Kwan in the mid 70s at the community centre on the Stockwell Park estate the instructor was Pat (his last name I cannot recall). I agree with what Paul Compton told TJ in that Wu shu Kwan (then and I cant talk about it now) was TKD with a different name. However why CK Chang fell out with TKD I think from memory it was Pat who told me was that he didt get on with the founder also from memory I think I was also told that CK Chang was graded by the founder of TKD.
    Training at that time was a Kim Han (who I had no contact with) and a guy called Joe Holmes who had a Bruce Lee type physique and a tremendous side kick and a nice bloke to boot. CK Chang ran a club at Tooting Bec. The kata’s didt seem really Chinese(Not in them days I really knew any different). I know at one point their was a big falling out and I think (from memory Kim Han and Joe left but I cant remember if they teamed up as it were or went their own separate ways ). What I will say Joe certainly produced some good fighters who excelled in kick boxing. I agree with Tom Bayley I was told it was Chinese Boxing but with no internet etc how was I to know any different.

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Example-

From reading here and on other sites including WSK's own site over the years two things are apparent.

1-it has been marketed as a CMA.

2-it's not.

19. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

EFA ;)

Sorry, but having had a good read of the "About Us" section on their website, I don't see anything about them marketing it exclusively as a Chinese Martial Art.

It's marketed as "Chinese Kickboxing", a generic name applied by Westerners to describe the martial arts before much was known about them.

It states clearly on there that the style was developed by Mr Chang by collecting techniques he had learned over the years.

So I hope you can see why I am confused by your claims that it is being marketed fraudulently when it quite clearly isn't.

:cool:

20. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

Hi, I did make a response to this thread but am still waiting for mod approval. Could I ask what the delay is in approving it?