Wrongly

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by righty, Sep 4, 2011.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Yes I have realised it's been a while since my last strength training session, which so far is all I've really included in here. But I am currently having a hard time fitting it in.

With 4 nights MA training per week and at least one late long day working it's difficult to fit it in, especially without sacrificing sleep. With weight (fat) loss really more of a priority priority having the weight training in there is important to make it less likely I'll lose what muscle I have, but it also means I'm not expecting large gains in this area.

So I'm thinking that two resistance sessions a week (what I originally intended) might be a bit ambitious but instead aim for one with at least one cardio.

I've also started staying later after MA to do some extra sparring among like minded people which is helping out in all the areas of strength, cardio and of course MA in general. With some larger comps and gradings coming up for me in the next 6 months or so it's all important to me.

On a plus so far this week the scales tell me I'm down 3 lbs. Woot. And feeling really good and healthy in general.

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Squat up to 57.5. I may have to start videoing or using some other method to watch for form and to make sure I am going as deep as I should be. Knee and shoulder are playing up again but this isn't effecting the squat, but instead most other parts of daily life.

But let's talk about sparring. It's seems so easy to get into a groove or pattern when sparring, especially when grappling. You find a pace that is comfortable and stick with it. Often the partner will stick to a pace as well. It can be good as it conserves energy and means I can have a long sparring session, but it also makes it harder to include explosiveness in the movements or add in an increase in intensity. Although it can be a fitness thing if you are just unable to find an extra gear but personally I find it's more of a mental thing.

It also means that if your partner or opponent ramps it up a gear, it can be hard to increase your intensity to match it. Sometimes I can ride it out because I am generally much more of a defensive or counter attacking fighter but also but also sometimes the intensity difference is so large you don't realise you are in danger until your hand is moving on it's own to tap. In short because caught off guard.

So I've made a goal to try and turn the tables and be more attacking. It worked out yesterday quite nicely. Simply getting into a position to turn up the pace and managed to get a tap again someone generally struggle with. I also realised that it was an all or nothing shot as I was completely gassed afterwards. In the same way people say 'punching themselves out'. So fitness is lacking to, but I already knew that. But this is something I must do more of in general and train more.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Some not so positive developments now. When I was struggling to get a solid program going week to week as well as ramping up the MA training intensity and making some solid progress I may have to give most of it up for a while. Yes, yet another injury for me. I’m still waiting on some scans etc but initial indications are being out for at least a few months.

So at the moment I am feeling out what I can and can’t do. First off, I think I will be able to swim, so I’m off to the pool tomorrow. Then I’ll work from there. I think next cycling, first stationary, then try the road. Then some resistance training, but this will have to be done exercise by exercise, movement by movement. Or if anyone has other ideas for zero impact activities I would really welcome them.

To be honest I’m in a bit of a funk because of this. It’s not just the MA training but it throws my schedule out all together. So instead of getting home from work and being keen to get my gear ready and go out again I just get home and wonder what to do and that quickly turns to boredom. So to pull myself out I need to get another schedule going, but it is more tricky as I have to set the schedule all on my own and there is no one but me to make myself keep it. Whereas with classes they start at a certain time and it’s not good to be late.

It’s just rather frustrating because I know from past injuries how hard it can be to get back into the groove once I have healed up enough. So while I am down about this, I still want to maintain as much as possible to first help the healing, and to get back into things faster if possible.

4. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Sorry to hear this. Take it easy and listen to the doc. You can always come back to training hard when your body is up to it.

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Well after a bit of a hiatus I've managed to do some actual training.

To be brief - minor knee sugery, much bed rest and inability to do pretty much any activity for 5 weeks I think it is now. I'm still not up for anything too rough but managed to do 30 mins of biking on the stationary trainer while watching Boston Legal.

Also done some reading on The Primal Blueprint. A lot of it makes sense and I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. At least it gave me an excuse to grab some dark chocolate coated macadamias.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hey, you're back in the saddle about the same time as me and looking at a similar eating plan! Hope it goes well :)

Mitch

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Rawr! Some progress in a painful sort of way.

Did some upper body work a few days ago which went OK.

But also tried some simple bodyweight squats which I discovered I could do again without pain when done properly. Yay! The only trouble is I couldn't do that many and now a few days later only one leg hurts. It's pretty bad DOMS but at least it confirms my knowledge of just how much muscle wastage occured in the injured leg.

Have not had any injury-type pain so now I need to focus on getting that strength back. Classes are back in a few weeks so I'll see how far I can get.

Started eating Primal too. Not perfect of course but I feel pretty good. Went through that carb flu thingo for a few days but after that much better. Going to my niece's 2nd birthday party today though so I think it might be time for some cheat-cake.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hit Cron o meter and post up your foods righty, it might help some others here who are trying the primal thing :)

Mitch

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

RAAAAAWWWWWWWWWR!!! CHEAT CAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!

also, what happened to your leg?

10. righty

righty Valued Member

What?!

I come back here and find my last post which I swear I submitted successfully is gone. Just gone. It's probably my fault some way or another.

So first to respond to the above. Mitch, I'm already using another program to track food that's working well. If you would like ideas we can put some together. It's mostly lots of meats and veges.

I had minor surgery to fix up some long term issues that were making themselves known again. Hopefully short term pain (and lying on the couch) long term gain.

Did some morning weights. Feeling better in the mornings in general now too. Maybe it's the food. Did some squats and not mcuh else. Cooked myself the most splendid looking eggs that refused to come out of the pan. Tasted good though.

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Well a number of things. I figure I tend to be using this as more of a diary than a real training log but now I am using fitocracy anyway for that other stuff so I may as well continue as I am going.

So this week was the first alowed back to MA training. Took it easy but in general felt OK. I feel I can do pretty much eeverything although not all at full capacity but I think I can work on improving that. What people don't tend to realise as well is it can take a bit to get confidence back as well. Cardio has also been completely shot. Things that normally wouldn't have me breaking a sweat are having me gasping for breath. I know this will all improve in time but of course I am so damn impatient. :p

In other news I have to start making some plans and goals. I have been told in approximately 6 months I will have a significant MA related event - I also would like to compete more, something that I couldn't do last year due to injury. And no, it's not a wedding (the poor groom). This brings to head a number of things for me.

First MA training will likely have to stay relatively high so I have to be careful with other activities to avoid burnout. Second is my weight. I've lost some but I know I can do better. I think I can make a lot of improvements in agility which I have never been great at by improving strength to body weight ratio. I've always been relatively strong but I think for this case I can make more overall improvement by focusing more on decreasing weight rather than increasing strength. I would also like to drop a weight class for competition purposes which I think is certainly doable within 6 months. Thirdly is weight training - I have always enjoyed it but now due to the second point I have to be smart about it. I'm planning two strength workouts a week but with the goal of working hard in a percieved effort sort of way as opposed to focusing on numbers. And fourth is cardio - I'm not going to think about that at the moment as the MA classes are likely going to be as much as I can handle at the moment. Will reassess in a month or so.

Now all that sounds like a new years resolution and I guess that's the way it is.

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I wish you luck in your future endeavors!

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Well it was a sweaty night rolling around with sweaty people and getting all sweated up.

Got home had a nice meal and realised I'm still short of my protein and overall energy target for the day. Made some curry the other night so used a cup of leftover coconut cream to blend with protein powder. Didn't taste too bad.

I think I need to figure out way to increase protein intake in general without going to supplements. More meat for me.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I add some quark cheese to my breakfast for an added protein hit.

15. righty

righty Valued Member

I've had that suggestion to me. But I've never been able to find it around these parts.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

Yikes what a week.

It's my second week back at MA after injury layoff and managed 4 MA classes, 1 strength training session and a semi-decent bike ride (new bike whee).

And the best part is I feel fantastic! I was dreading starting back after such a long layoff but although I was sore it was nothing in comparison to what I expected and have experienced before after being away from things. Even I'm noticing cardio is far improved over last weeks efforts.

I'm going to try to add more strength sessions in there - one of the reasons I have always been reluctant to do so is fear of DOMS overload affecting training.

In other news, checked resting heart rate this morning and it was mid-50s which as a surprise as for the last year or so it's been in the 60s. I've come a long way since before MA training when I remember it being almost 90.

17. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Nice! That's absolutely excellent to hear Righty! I'm envious of you lol. Congratulations on getting back into training and what not :)

Wish you luck in your future endeavors :D

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Arrrggghhhhh is pretty much it. Have been going really well the last few weeks and in general feeling great and training well.

But tonight well...tonight. What can I say?

Tonight was horrible. Felt fine going to class. Felt good in the warmup. Then I get thrown a few times. Landed fine, not winded, not hurt, good breakfalls, didn't hit anything. But after that everything went downhill. Started feeling a bit nausous and just off in general. Got worse and feeling a bit faint with a headache coming on. Had to keep sitting out and techniques just didn't feel right.

The only thing I can think I could put it down to was not eating so well in the last couple of days. Had more junk that I should have and after eating really well for over a month before that it's had a bigger impact on me.

What's more is that I'm starting to feel more and more that I should be putting more effort into training as a higher grade and to improve. And what stuff like this comes up that I can't really identify a cause of (so I can't fix it) it gets quite frustrating which doesn't help at all.

Oh well, another day tomorrow.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

20. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hmm, then you should sort out your diet. Why are you eating junk food anyway? Is it because thats all you have or can afford? or you just been very pressed for time?

Could be an illness coming, like a fever, or cold or something.

sleep could also have been a factor.

Get better soon ;)