Wrong Reasons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DaiHomme52, Apr 11, 2005.

1. DaiHomme52

DaiHomme52 New Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but don't you just hate when ppl study the MA for the wrong reasons. A prime example is when I was studying Karate in high school we'd get a lot of local kids coming in for a free intro lesson. One of these kids was in my gym class. The next day he was in the gym trying to pick fights, telling everyone how he knew karate. I assume after 1 class he absorbed in all Karate has to offer pretty well lol. I went over to him and told him this isn't what MA are about. And secondly, you don't really know karate so watch yourself before you get beat up. Ofcourse you always have the bullies who want to learn MA just so they can beat up ppl. Pretty sad indeed. How do you guys feel about that?

2. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Everyone has there own reasons to do a MA, and will often be different from yours, but that doesnt make them wrong.

Theres only numbers that are fact in this world that i can think of, everything else is opinion.

3. DaiHomme52

DaiHomme52 New Member

Just b/c everyone has reasons doesn't mean they're good reasons. I understand ppl have different reasons but to learn MA b/c you want to run around and beat ppl up is simply a stupid reason, no matter how you put it! MA weren't started for that, and shouldn't be used for that.

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

who are you to say why MA was started and why someone should take up ma

5. DaiHomme52

DaiHomme52 New Member

awwww, I'm so sorry I've offended you. I didn't realize that you are probably of this type. Forgive me before you bully me! :cry:

6. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

ill forgive you for being so stupid if you like

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Play nicely children
    I remember a similar problem when I was at school. The great thing was, eventually these bullies that supposedly trained just dojo-hopped and eventually found their way to the one I trained at. Sparring would be fun that night ;)
    Eventually, they'll grow out of it, don't let it bother you

8. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I see Kinjiro Tsukasa lurking:D

That guy is a sick piece of crap who wants putting down. I hope he attacks someone much bigger and gets annihilated.

Where does he live, is he anywhere near me? I could take care of him for you:D

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I think the original post shows why many schools start off showing new students very little that they can use until we instructors have a chance to evaluate them. Also, at a school we get lots of people who stop in for a class or two (maybe seeing if we "fit" what they are looking for) and then move on. Martial arts really isn't for everyone.

With the exception of a few idiots (like the example you mentioned - who will most likely outgrow the fun of "playing" karate shortly), the experimentation and exploration is a good thing.

11. DaiHomme52

DaiHomme52 New Member

I also agree with exploration and experimentation. The kid is probably a crackhead somewhere today, not trying to be mean but it's probably true.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i love kids like that, gives me a reason to beat the hell out of someone and then not feel guilty :D j/k

those are the ones who make us look bad, go out there parading without really knowing anything at all.

13. sky

sky Valued Member

i think people trainin for the reason to pick fights is wrong, martial arts should be used for self defence and to make character, not a bully or someone who thinks they can whats they learn to harm anyone else... you get loads of that type were i come from and they types of MA they go for is kick/thai boxing.. or mma... i think these people shouldnt be taught, and whoever teaches these people is in the wrong awell... as a martial arts teacher your responsible for passing on ancient arts of fighting, wich can be deadly in the wrong hands... and to teach people who want to use it for the wrong purpose .. in my eyes is wrong

14. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

hahahahahaha :D

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I think there are also instructors, like mine, who hope they can make a difference on the students who come to be a "show off". We'd get rid of a bully pretty quick, especially since we are a small school and the students police themselves, someone who came in for the sole purpose of learning to beat people up would probably get beaten down rather quickly.

One thing I would like to add, nForce, if someone comes to my kwoon just to learn to be a bully, they're gone. Quickly. I think Thomas would back me up on this one, no sane, serious, reputable martial arts instructor is gonna teach someone to brawl if they see that person has violent tendencies. Perhaps that is an opinion, but I suspect it is one many instructors share...

16. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

True, there are plenty of people who take up martial arts for the wrong reason. However, these people usually won't amount to much in the Dojang, so if you know what you're doing you can feel confident that these bullies can't really harm you. They're just trying to feel big and bad when deep down they know they're not.

17. lowkickr

lowkickr New Member

Its the mentality and insecurity of the bully that will hinder his/her development, regardless of their personal efforts to train in Martial Arts. If you bring underlying issues with you into the Dojo, and do not wish to deal with them realistically, you will likely leave the Dojo with them.

18. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

If people have their own reasons, then that is their concern. I don't care for ethics...just MA.

But if you don't appreciate the ignorance portrayed by some would be students, then that is genuine and I agree.

There are still some people who believe Eastern Martial Arts are supreme combat systems created by people with a supernatural understanding of the human form, and any practitioner of these systems can beat up anybody. This perception was created by mainstream media and entertainment like anime, movies, etc.

There are some people who engross themselves into watching the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and believe that Eastern systems are undisputedly crapolicious, and have no value whatsoever...mostly because at one time or another, they witnessed cultural perversion in the oh so common McDojo's dotting the globe.

Both sides often mistaken the sport mentality for life and death mentality.

People sure love to spark conflicts and live in needless drama don't they?

The purpose of these combat systems is to learn how to get closer to destroying or harming another human being. Simple. If that is your goal, then learn whatever you can from your resources (schools, teachers, peers, books, etc.), and pay attention to learning how to fight. Your reasons are your own.

I hope you didn't think this reply was too long. ;) I tried my best to condense my thoughts.

19. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

The way i was seeing it and describing it as was just let them get on with it, just concentrate on your own training, who cares why they are doing MA

Only get annoyed when it affects your own training, either tell them to there face or tell your teacher

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

is that a bad thing?