Writing down kata post-class

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Big Will, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Hey guys! I'm trying to write down notes for each kata and technique when I get home after each class, but sometimes I feel like they just dissappear from my mind. Sometimes I can't for the love of God remember one kata that we did after "that one" and before "that one". Do any of you recognize this? Do you have any tips that have helped you remember what you did?

Myself, I try to visualize the whole lesson from beginning to end, and that helps me some.

Of course, sometimes when I lay awake at night I suddenly remember that technique before "that one", and then I quickly jot it down :D

I would basically just like to hear some of your opinions and thoughts on this matter. Thanks!

2. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

okay, I'm lucky in a way that my sensei puts all his classes on dvd every month, including the katas, but what I used to do is write down one or two a class and move on. what katas are you interested in any way, which of the 9 schools are you looking for ?

3. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Well, mostly gyokko ryu and shinden fudo ryu. We've been repeating all the katas of gyokko ryu these past few weeks, and since I've only been training since August I figured it would be good if I started writing everything down.

I don't suppose kata descriptions can be found anywhere online? It would be pretty bad if they could, actually :p

4. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

I sent you a PM Big Will.

5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Heck I can watch something being done and forget it by the time I get back to my Uke :D no really I can. Yes I find it happens but I've stopped worrying about it as I've found they come to you when you least expect it.

6. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Yep, been there, done that, Spooky. lol Sometimes Shiraishi-sensei does so many tiny movement, either of the feet or spine, I forget what the first move was before he's completely done the kata. :bang:

7. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

its more important to remember how your body moves during the kata than writing loads down or worse still using someone else's notes on their taijutsu movement, remember its your taijutsu your developing.

Learn the kata, learn the 'lesson' 'principle' within the series of kata then move on, be careful not to rely on a fasle semse of security through Kata collection.

just my opinion from experience.

:)

8. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Funny thing is I end up doing something months latter and can't figure out where it's come from :D then I remember, it's usually something I picked up at a seminar a couple of months before.

I found watching how Tori moves round uke and how Uke is affected by that movement helps, not necessarily watching the technical aspects as I miss them instead I try and look at Uke and Tori as a whole as a single entity :eek: hope I'm making sense here?

Then if I'm told that I'm getting somewhere I latch on to the feeling at that moment. Remembering a feeling is I've found easier.

9. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

In the beginning I tried writing down during class. But that takes away from the pain time, so I decided to wait until after class. Which was okay, back in my time we didn't have as many katas :D , but when the teacher had to lock up the building after class I had to leave. So, I waited until I got home. No good, I'd forget the fine points, or a kata completely.
    Finally said the heck with it, now if I write something down, I try to remember the general idea or feeling behind the movement. That usually helps me remember the kata better.

10. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

Sorry to sound like Soke, but in my view, you have to "feel" the technique, and then once you do it correctly in class, you should get excited and happy about it (That you've completed the technique, and you can do it correctly).

This way your brain will be more stimulated and inclined to remember it :)
    Another tip which I find works well for me, is when I concentrate on my breathing during class (In through the nose, and out through the mouth) as it helps me to focus and concentrate, which in turn helps me take in everything Sensei is doing.

This is what works for me...Give it a try.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Will

i have got loads of kata notes, great to look at and revise every now and then for idea's but working on the principles and feelings of movement are more important at the moment, last night we played with a few things and let them flow, lots of ideas from most student coming out, they started to look at not only the movement in the technique but with slight variations, what happens to the uke!!

If you learn 10 kata in one night and can only remember one kata well then thats ok, you have a lifetime of training, there's no rush, if you are good at that one kata then its a good start as you can learn its dynamics and how, by moving differently the outcome changes.

I would'nt worry though, we have all been there! if you want to PM me i might be able to help you out further with notes.

12. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Thanks for the tips, guys! :)

Yeah, I try to write down the feeling of the kata as well, not just step-by-step techniques.

And thanks Keikai, I will definitely take you up on that offer next time I need help :D

Again, thanks guys for all the replies - I have taken something to heart from each and everyone of them!

13. fire&steel

fire&steel Valued Member

picture of a ghost

I have never bothered to write notes of any kind, and like others have said, I can forget what was show seconds before, don't sweat it is normal.Soke often tells people not to write stuff down as you need to find the feeling within the kata. It is true as I said, I have never written a word and yet one day some months, years later this thing will just come out without you knowing where how or why and it scares you not to mention your Uke need to change his/her Gi pants. Then you go looking for it the next time and it is no longer there.I have said to some people it is like trying to photograph a ghost. if you try to capture its image or go looking for it, it just seems to disappear. I don't know but I can tell you if you think it has happened to you it has not. You will know when it does just by the look on the Uke's face and you will feel like you have done nothing.

14. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I am actually in a pretty good situation when it comes to writing down kata. I take the train to and from Noda every week and as soon as I get back on the train I am writing down notes. Of course, written words are somewhat lacking, so I kill time by drawing diagrams to help myself remember. I consider it my own private densho. But I am an Otaku so what can I say?

15. comw

comw Valued cynic

I've just counted including chi no kata et al and kihon happo I can think of (*wait for it*) 13 kata of the top off my head -. is that normal????

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

As I have the memory of a retarded gold fish, I can never remember much of what we learn in class by the time I get home! I try to write down at least 1 technique a week (if I can recall it!). I do find that writing things down when I get home helps me recall and remember what was taught.

17. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

What do you mean? I think it is pretty normal to be able to count those in your head, yes...

18. comw

comw Valued cynic

no I mean i can't think of anyothers

19. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

hey Rich i hope them is some gold stars i spot as this post is outstanding!

20. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Oh, wow, there are LOTS more katas. Basically every ryu-ha has a bunch of them. The Kihon Happo are just a small part of all the katas of the Gyokko Ryu.

How long have you been training? :)