Wrist

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Grifter, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

What are some good exercise to get my wrist/lower fore arm area stronger and bigger?? The only weight exercise I know is this Wrist Curl thing. Dont know what its called so I call it a wrist curl. And I also use these Hand Grips like those. Are there other, better things I can be doing instead or along with those?? thanks.

2. redi knight

redi knight New Member

wrist rollers
    a stick/pole/rod with a rope(about 5 feet long) attached to it, with a weight attached to the other end of the rope, grab it with both hands, overhand grip, hold it infront of you at shoulder height..and wind it all the way up and down.

plate wirst curls: grab a 10lb-25lb barbell plate , sit down and curl it like you would a barbell...the leverage makes it harder, you can do both hands one at a time.

best of luck, i need bigger wrists too, they only 6 and 1/2 inches right now..

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

How do, Grifter?

Here are some the exercises we do in my kwoon:

windlass: 3 foot dowel rod with weight attached via cord in the middle. We wind it up with hands out front while in a horse stance. You can change your hands around (up, down, one up, etc.).

sword stick: 3 foot dowel with weight attached via cord near the end. The rod can be moved side to side with weight still and weight can be moved directly away from you as you keep your arm straight.

Fingertip push ups

Telephone book toss

reverse curls with weights, super set them with fingertip push ups

work out with iron staff: an idea I stole from a Choy Li Fut guy. Instead of wood staff use iron/steel staff same dimensions but much heavier. I painted my "mantis green.":D I do my forms and exercise with it. You can roll it in your hands straight out while sitting in horse. You can grab toward the end and slowly let it drop and raise it back up.

Tennis ball. At work, squeeze a tennis ball.

Remember, start slow. You'll do great.:)

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

AHAH. Takea visit to the gripboard forum and Cyberpump. Do a search on yahoo. My name on it is kINGPIN. Allthough it has been a few years since i posted- not sure how far back the posts go.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good grip exercises....

Dedlifts
    Chins
    ..... throw in some squats for good measure :D

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I used to have a problem of weak wrists, then when i got my wooden dummy, i started streghtening my wrists and forearms by doing the following excersize.

Read about the excersize in a bruce lee book of mine and ive been doing wrist curls with the weight of 1and half kg at the end of a 1 foot barbell. Very simple; i do 3 sets of 20 most nights.

It's just a basic low weight on one end of the bar... and you hold it and twist your wrist like in the image below...

[​IMG]

Works extremely well for me, and ya can't half feel the burn in your forearms afterwards lol! But you want to make sure you go very slow otherwise you might end up straining your wrist

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  7. redi knight

redi knight New Member

ay, a leverage bar, or some people call them a "tomahawk".

you can accomplish the same thing with a heavy hammer, sledge hammer, or frying pan.

but yoda brought a good point though, chins and deadlifts are very good grip exercizes, and will improve wrist size as a result..and you cant just leave out squats because...they rock

8. Grifter

Alright everbody thanks for the advice. Im not sure how to do deadlift so Ill going to check them out and ask me teacher when school starts again. As for squats..I LOVE THEM. Do the twice a twice a week (along with other leg exercise of course).
    THANKS AGAIN

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Train with weights, especially free weights. Every exercise involves taxing the wrists because you have to control the weights.
    For a more direct exercise do a variation of the bicep curl by using a reverse grip (palms down). Other variations are the hammer curl, and the Zottman curl.

10. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I got my husband a Powerball for Christmas.

They're a bit pricey (£25 a throw) compared with hand grips, but the fact that it's so addictive means that you use it loads. We've been having competitions every day since we got it.

It really works your hands, wrists and forearms. When you get going on it you can really feel the burn- it's fantastic.

Sorry if this looks like spam, I don't work for them or anything. :D

11. Grifter

LOL yea Ive used a somethimg similar to the powerball. It was the same basic thing just different name and different look. For some reason I couldnt manage to get it down. Well couldnt keep it going anyway.

12. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Yeah I 've tried the powerball too and it's just hard to get started. Anyway, Wrist workout that I find effective are:
    Knuckle push-ups, eagle claw catcher, normal squeeze grips and one handed knuckle push-ups. I have really small wrists even though they're really strong they don't look it. You shouldn't worry as much on size as strength.