Wrist strengthening and flexibility exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Infesticon #1, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

One more thing. Look up Doc Zac or Handmaster Plus on Facebook. He's a nice guy and will answer all of your questions. He created this device because he wasn't satisfied with the limited range of motion that the old style hand grippers offer. I love that the COC are made in the USA but they just don't exercise your entire hand.

2. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Also, a lot of the old school martial artists will have big trashcans or barrels filled with rice or beans. They reach deep down, grab, pull up and release then repeat. This is how the old martial artists developed hand strength.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

True, but the fact the bands can wear out so fast is (for me) a concern. If I spend out on a new piece of training kit, I'd rather know it's going to last for a decent period of time. Since the bands seem to be one of the bigger selling points for this over a regular stress ball or things like the CoC models, I'd need to know they're going to last the time.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't used one so I can't comment from experience and I imagine they do work very well. Just not sure it's something I could invest in personally.

Mostly, though that kind of exercise also conditions the fingers better for finger striking and is usually started with more of a spear handed motion.

Wet towels with buckets of water, wrist rollers, weighted clubs, stone mallets and rope I've seen too in old school training videos. They all work very well.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Perhaps just "another new gizmo" doing basically the same as "old school", but people are willing to fork out $$$$$

5. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

It's all a personal choice. I do, however, feel that captains of crush has it's limitations. It's not exercising all of the muscles in the hand. Just the ones that open and close. This means those muscles will over develop and the others will atrophy. This is why I have a problem with those old school hand grippers. They're not effective. No matter how much harder their grip they still do the same motion and work the same muscles and ignore the rest. So, my recommendation is handmaster plus first. However, if you feel it's a waste then go out and buy two forty pound bags of rice from your neighborhood asian market, fill up a round trash can and watch the videos on youtube of how the masters use these tubs of rice or beans to exercise their hands.

Also, just so you know. I don't work for Doc Zac and I don't get any compensation from him. Just happen to like his device and have yet to find another tool that works all of the muscles of the hand like his device.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMsxGfACAfo"]Hand & Finger Exercise & Grip Strength with Handmaster Plus - YouTube[/ame]

6. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Here's a bag of sand.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26rnqGvtMk"]Shaolin finger hand functional grip strength - YouTube[/ame]

This works great at home but you can't exactly transport 50 lbs of rice or sand and a bucket on a plane, right?

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

how is that different to a stress ball and some elastic bands?

8. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

And here is the training with beans.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m83yJCgwM0Q"]Build Powerful Forearms, Grip Strength with the Zenkahuna - YouTube[/ame]

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Per my post #18

I wonder if we on MAP should have a "Product Rating" Thread

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

True enough. No tool is perfect, but at least the CoC models have a longer life durability than the elastic bands on that gripper model do (hazarding a guess here).

Again, nothing wrong with it but if I was to fork out for training kit I'd rather it be kit that lasted.

Depends how you package it. But since I don't fly it's not really a problem for me :p

Point taken though, that little gizmo is portable at least.

That would be pretty good actually.