Wrist Strenghting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by London, Apr 14, 2006.

1. London

London New Member

Hi,

How does one strengthen their wrist? e.g. weights etc

Regards

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What is it for?

Wrist curls
    Pushup position then onto fingers no thumbs
    One arm handstands
    Planches

3. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I use natural training methods, but don't think a Martial Arts forum is a place to discuss it :p

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I clicked on the H&F forum to briefly scan the new threads and clicked the little red X when I saw there wasn't anything interesting but "wrist strengthening" caught my eye . . .

You should have called it something different . . . like . . . arm hand joint strengthening, or sliding joint injury prevention.

5. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

keep this one going guys :)

I've had buggered wrists for almost a year :cry:

I've been using a Chinese tendon lotion that has worked wonders but...

I'd love to know any ways of building tendon strength. Muscles aint a problem as i've natural 'popeye' forearms, but any tips on tendon strength will be greatly appreciated.

Wrist tendinitis :rolleyes:

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

tendons can be strengthened as they connect bone to muscle.. low rep high weight movements will thicken supporting tissue with time.. (think heavy negatives)... ligaments do not thicken or strengthen and repair very slowly if at all...

many MAs develop wrist problems because the teachers are following a stretching program from 100 years ago and wrist flexibility was prized to get out of locks and holds.. in fact many of us have hyper mobile joints as a result... and tightening back up is in fact what we need.. (usually in the wrists and neck most of all)...

here is a link to a BB forum that shows 4 good wrist exercises....
    do these and stop stretching your wrists out.. let the muscles tighten and increase pull on the tendon... this is the best you can do for damaged wrists short of getting injections from your doctor...

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Cheers Mate.

My wrists were screwed up because of my job :eek: 20years of squeezing big syringes.

I sort of view them as frayed cables now :cry: . It's so frustrating though, having the muscle strength but tendons that arent up to the jod.

Oh and those steroid injections kill in the front of the wrists...ouch!

8. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Do sledge-hammer levers.

Failing that, wrist curls. Not with a bar though - just with a plate.

9. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Go very easy if you're using a plate for wrist curls as you have not only the weight of the plate to take into consideration, but the greatest part of the plate reaches well beyond your fingertips and its centre of gravity will almost certainly be, too (unless you're using tiddly plates). This means that the plate is going to seem much heavier than it really is, and it'll put more strain on your wrist and fingers.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Low weight high rep for tendons. Doing high weight might damage them even more. Eventually you'll be able to get to high weight, but start slow. I damaged my knees a few months back and have been rehabing them through low weight high rep stuff. Doctor told me to do it, boss (who has had his share of damage, including torn ACL) told me to do it, so I'm not pulling this out of no where.