Wrist pushups?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I know a few people who do them all the time and have no problems, but most people I know think I'm crazy for even considering doing them. So, what does everyone think about wrist pushups? Are they safe? And if they are, what good do they do you?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

what are we discussing here? pushups done on the backs of the wrists?

3. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

at my hkd club we do all sorts of push ups, but wrist push ups (on the back of your wrists) we do most of the time with the fingers of both hands pointing towards eachother... it's only purpose is to harden the wrist + make it easier to undergo (get used to) wrist locks...
    for muscle benefits, i would suggest knuckle pushups (but do them right - i.e. on the first two knuckles)
    and for pure KI (or chi): push ups on the fingers... very hard - i really struggle with these still (but working on it! ;) )

grtz

4. MatsuRyu

MatsuRyu New Member

seems like doing pushups on your wrists would only serve to hurt your joints and bring you arthritis. :eek:

i suggest knuckle pushups instead, or finger ones.

5. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Wrist push ups are really good for strengthening your wrists as well as knuckle push ups, which also will help your wrist get stronger. I don't see how this will cause any health problems.

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

We do them. Press ups on the backs of your hands.

No problems so far. Keep spilling my pint though........

:D

7. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Sorry, by wrist pushups I meant doing pushups on the back of your hands, with your fingers either facing each other or pointing toward your feet. I can see how they might improve flexibility somewhat, but how exactly does it strengthen your wrists?

8. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

your weight puts pressure on your wrist, after a while you get used to it, this helps to get used to undergoing wristlocks... or something like that :)

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

They can cause problems with the joints in the hands. I don't do them- I have a limited amount of time to train, and I prefer to do other exercises that provide more in the way of strength gains.
    ha ha ha chi ha ha ha

10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

We do wrist/fist/fingertip pushups alot and I've never had any problems. We do wrist with fingers pointed up though.

One instructor tries to get us to mix them i.e. do palm push-up, then jump onto fist, then wrist...... without stops between.

I don't do it 'cos i reckon it can only do damage.