Wrist pain after heavy bag session

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Niklaus, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

I was doing some boxing on the heavy bag and now the back of my wrist hurts when i bend it and put pressure on it, for example in the push up position. Or when i do push ups. It's been like this for a few days. Help?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It sounds like your iniuring yourself by doing "bag work" are you wearing wraps and gloves? Are you hitting it too hard?

Are you new to using a heavy bag?

Grond and Niklaus like this.
  3. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

I am new to using bags yes. I am wearing gloves but no wraps... Currently i stopped my training to prevent further injuries.. But it doesnt seem to be healing.

4. Dead_pool

1) wear wraps it will help prevent you iniuring yourself

2) soft tissue injuries take 4-8 weeks to heal, if you've fractured something it's 6 to 12 weeks.

So rest up, and do some stretching whilst your not doing anything else.

Monkey_Magic, Grond and axelb like this.
  5. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

Thanks! Oh and can i keep lifting in the gym while it heals?

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

First your foot, now your wrist...that heavy bag is nasty

And I am always going to say consult a medical professional

Grond, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  7. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

It happend the same day actually
    My foot is now better. I didn't think the wrists were that serious but yeah i messed up real bad....

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

If you lift as well, be cautious as to what lifts are bearing weight onto you wrists.
    Bench, dips and similar are advisable to go light on or find alternatives.

If you barbell squat, make sure you hand position doesn't take the load on your wrists (a common form mistake)

9. Dead_pool

It depends on how bad they are, if they're actually bad, I'd stick to cardio, after going to a medical professional.

Monkey_Magic and Grond like this.
  10. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

Thanks i'll go with light weight for a while

Grond likes this.
  11. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

Okay, Thanks a lot!

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Looks like youre 0-2 with a bag....

Grond, Dead_pool, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  13. Niklaus

Niklaus New Member

I know hahahah. Its embarrassing!

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

6-12 weeks to heal. Probably another 6 weeks on top of super light contact for the micro fractures to seal up

Monkey_Magic, Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Dead_pool

Doh, my bad, your right!

I've fractured a metatarsal before, and it was probably a year before I felt safe to go back to full force training.

Mushroom and Grond like this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Quick question and you don't have to answer, but are you under 20?

If so you might have sustained a growth plate injury. If so, you really should go see a doctor because an unchecked plate injury can affect your long term bone growth. If you're over 20, it's more likely tendonitis or something relatively healable on its own.

Since you are new to bagwork this is your big chance to become one of those guys who teaches all the other guys pounding on the bag to wrap. Go watch a simple video to learn. I see guys at my workout gym all the time pounding the bag with bare hands to impress others. Then I see them walk away wringing their hands because I know what happens with somebody does that. Especially with the heaviest bags...gosh I've seen some real lunks. And nobody in the actual boxing gym ever does that, because of the looks they'd get.

You can hit the bag with just wraps, or wraps and gloves. Any time you just use gloves with no support of the whole forearm/wrist/hand, you're asking for trouble, multiplied by the number of punches you throw.

Dead_pool and Mushroom like this.
  17. dbl0

dbl0 Member

Always go light if you are new to hitting the bag and as others have said wear straps and gloves to help relive the pressure on the wrists.

If they are still painful in the coming days or week then I would suggest getting them checked out, I actually tore the scapholunate ligaments on both of my wrists during some pad work and there is a few easy tests the doctor of hospital can do to check this out, one of them is the Watson test if my memory serves me right. This is a worst case but a very common injury for people hitting a bag I am told by my surgeon.

This is a worst case scenario but getting checked over is the best thing. Until then I would avoid any impact to the wrist and weight lifting as if you have an injury you are just potentially making it worse.

Monkey_Magic and Grond like this.
  18. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Just like to reinforce what people have already said. Likely culprit is lack if hand wraps, more specifically lack of wrist support. If wrapping with long wraps is a chore, invest in some gel hand wraps. (Making sure they have adequate wrist support) They are fine for heavy bag work, you put them on/take them off easily and are ok for light sparring, though for heavier sparring the traditional wraps are much better.

One final tip. Avoid overhands or bolos on straight heavy bags or until you are comfortable with your wrist and forearm alignment. Most of my early wrist injuries were with poorly executed punches of those two variations.

Grond likes this.
  19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

It happened again, I was at the gym on a machine and I watched this lunk smack the bag for about 15 minutes, in some sort of attempt to tire himself. He was well-muscled, but tired in between the time it took me to switch from one machine to another. No wraps, just gloves with wrist straps. He had a lot of heart, but his strikes were errant and lazy. I thought to myself how often I've wrapped up and gone 30+ minutes with a bag, without those big cannons as arms. To each his own I guess.

He didn't even move around the bag. One directional, and then he'd do this sort of victory dance in a circle around the bag after a couple dozen hits. Lord, what a Prima Donna!