wrist locks

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by emerica27, Jul 30, 2007.

1. emerica27

emerica27 New Member

have guys read the book ?wrist locks?? i was reading online about the book and how it talks about making wrist locks at the right moment. do you guys know when to do a wrist or joint lock? if so please give examples

2. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

I do alot of wrist locks in my krav maga classes... Im not too keen on them in a lot of situations, as you wouldnt have time to put them on ( in my experience) . But i do think they are well worth learning how to do properly, as they CAN be useful.

I would use a lock if, lets say someone attacked me with a knife, they can be a good disarming technique. Obivioulsy thats worse case scenario... Id try to run first... Or maybe from a choke or other grab. BUt they can be easily resisted when trying to get the lock on if the person hasnt allready been softened up a bit.... As for how to get into a postion where you can use a lock, thats not easy...

Wrist locks can also be effective for subduing someone, once again in the right application...

i may look some videos when i get back from kickboxing which show my favourite techniques. But i'll just say quickly, most of the situations where you would apply a wrist lock, are from you being in a disadvantaged position. So obviously, its best not to get in those positions in the 1st place, but if you do, its useful to know...

3. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

andy... where do you train KM?
    first, no and I mena NO KM instructor will advocate wrist locks (unless your blue or above)
    they are taught mostly as breaks to remove a weapon (not to control) in KM... a shock and lock approach is used once you've got it down.. and I mean are quite good at the basic gun defense and knife defense options

in self defense for a civilian (importnat point there) there is almost no need for a wrist lock tjhat is not better suited with a punch, headbut, or kick...... period

ifr they grab you .. hit them hard..... repeat till they fall..... run away
    don't bother trying to manipulate small joints unless (as andy mentions) they are already staggering.. and even then a finishing blow or running away is far better advice

edit - while most KM books and vidoes show how to remove a knife or gun after a redirection control and assualt..... any responsable teacher will have students practice kicking a dropped weapon clear rather then struggling over it........ in addition, the material on how to take a weapon away can be added to the teaching later easily.... teaching to early gets the idiotic advice andy gave before.... try a felt tipped pen.. and try to remove it with your wristlocks full speed andy... your arm and body will be all sharpied up..... i assure you....... make that a knife and your badly sliced

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

yeah, ive dont that before with the felt tip... Not a preety site. What i was saying with that, is if you have for instance blocked, and cupped the wrist, whilst hitting them numerous times, you can then take into a wrist lock, which as you said, can then break the wrist, and theyll drop the knive.

The place i train at does not do grading as far as i know...

5. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

well in my school we have them but almost all our joint locks are actually breaks if we were to do them outside but of course in class we dont wanna break everyones arms or anything, but i would recomend not using some joint manipulation outside u best best if u do get the position for the lock is to break it and go, u dont wanna be wrestling around with someone cause u never know if he has friends or what so u shouldnt spend more time on one person then u have to

6. andysparx

andysparx Valued Member

yeah, im not that keen on them, in general, to be honest. But i do still think theyre worth knowing...

7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Haven't read the book myself, but you've got me currious.

As for when to apply them, it's best done in my experience after the hand is immobilized. I think opportunities present themselves best if the opponent has tied him- or herself up by grabbing you. I would recomend preceeding the lock itself with a strike to draw the opponent's attention away from the wrist. I rarely see these things work unless the person executing them either has a strength advantage or a high degree of understanding of biomechanics. I use what might be described as "incomplete" wristlocks when I'm grappling for a tie-up: I'm grabbed, so I start a wristlock-style motion to get the opponent to let go, which usually gives me an opportunity to achieve a more dominant tie-up.

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

This book?
    Wrist Locks: From Protecting Yourself to Becoming an Expert
    [​IMG]

Joint locks are some of the most advanced techniques you can apply. They take a LOT of practice, and a decent ability to read and anticipate. You were reading about the book? Not even actually reading the book?

OK, let me make 2 points:
    (1) You cannot learn how to do wrist locks from reading books
    (2) You cannot learn wrist locks from reading reviews of books about wrist-locks!