Wrist Injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tkdally, Apr 4, 2006.

1. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

OK, here's the story.

Last March I was sparring and my opponent walked into my kick, causing me to lose my balance and fall backwards. I was a not so bright green belt at the time and stupidly put my hand out behind me to break my fall. Of course, you guessed it, all I managed to do was break my wrist. A Coley (spelling?) fracture of my left radius to be specific.

Four weeks of plaster later I was advised to rest for a further two months before returning to sparring. I duely obeyed these instructions and on the whole my wrist isn't so bad. Day to day it doesn't cause me problems but that changes if I try to lift anything heavy (about 15kg or more) or bear weight on it for an extended period of time (for example when doing a set of press ups). The feeling I experience in my hand is very much PAIN, not an ache. I get sharp stabbing pains in my wrist which don't completely disappear when I cease whatever activity caused the pain. The pain eventually subsides to an ache but then even ANY light weight bearing will induce sharp pain e.g. when pushing up out of a chair. Actually, I think it might be a little more accurate to say that the stabbing pains are on the back of my hand at the top of the thumb joint where it meets the wrist.

I have seen my doctor about this several times but I just get dismissed and told that it will take time for the soft tissues to heal and that I should be patient. However it has now been a year since the injury and I am not sure what to do. My doctor doesn't understand the problems that this injury still causes me and doesn't realise how important my training is to me. HELP!!!!!!!

I didn't get any physio after the cast came off as it was deemed that I was healing well but do you think it would help for me to see a sports physio now? Should I insist that my doctor sends me for investiagations despite having been dismissed already on several occasions?

Over the past year I have tried to rest my wrist by keeping my attendance at sparring/workout sessions to a minimum because it makes my hand hurt. In my school the sparring practice is preceeded by a workout at which I really struggle because of my wrist.

I am now only 1 year away from grading for my 1st Dan and unless I can attend these workout and sparring sessions and improve my general fitness, as well as practical fighting techniques, I won't make it through the black belt training sessions, let alone the grading. Skipping the workout isn't really an option because without improving my fitness I will literally die on the way to 1st Dan. I don't generally have an issue with my wrist whilst I'm sparring.

I am a very conciencious student and will do whatever it takes for me to be successful in my training. I thought a period of rest from the workouts would do the trick but over the past year it hasn't improved much.

Ideas anyone?????

2. tkdally

By the workouts consist of the following (with a shuttle run before and after each set of exercises):

35 leg swaps
    40 leg swaps
    35 jumping jacks
    40 jumping jacks
    35 press ups
    40 press ups
    35 sit ups
    40 sit ups
    35 squat thrusts
    40 squat thrust
    17 leg extensions
    20 leg extensions
    35 reverse dips
    40 reverse dips
    70 leg splits
    80 leg splits
    35 knee bends
    40 knee bends

3. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

I would definatly see a sports physio even if you have to pay for it yourself the doctor my say other wise but to be honest some doctors are just stupid cluless and dont care. If its worth anything I got a tendon/ligament injury in my thumb and I have had to pull out of a big competition coming up thats on once a year. And Iam out of training for at least 5 weeks :eek: or thats what they recomended. Good luck with the injury tell us how it goes.

4. tkdally

Went to my doc this morning and was quite determined not to be fobbed off. End result - got to back to fracture clinic. Query fractured scaphoid not detected at time of inital break. If it turns out that it has healed incorrectly then I'm possibly looking an operation & cast. AAAARGHHHH! Bang goes my black belt in April '07. Can't believe that I might have been training for the last year on a broken wrist though. How tough am I!!!! (joke). This is very very very bad news