Wrist/Forearm Strength

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El Barto, May 28, 2006.

1. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

Has anyone used the "Bruce Lee iron grip trainer" if so can you tell me what you think? I would also like to ask how important is wrist/forearm strength in martial arts? And if anyone uses specific exercises for these muscles? Please bear in mind I'm a beginner in martial arts :)

2. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

for grappling having a powerful grip is extremly important. training grappling with a gi will give you a strong grip.

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

forearm and grip strength are important, as is all strength. i have never used the bruce lee trainer, but have also never heard of it which makes me automatically suspicious!

buy a chin-up bar and start doing chin-ups and pull-ups. once you can do a decent amount start adding 2 second 'dead-hangs' at the bottom of the repetition before pulling back up. once you can do a decent amount of these make the bar thicker by wrapping a towel round it. all of these will work your grip and forearms.

do a google search for Captains of Crush. they are the best grip trainers i have ever encountered.

hope that helps

4. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Do heavy deadlifts and you will develop a killer grip.

5. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

The "Bruce Lee iron grip trainer" is something that i seen reading "Bruce Lee the art of expressing the human body" if anyone out there has read it they will know what i'm talking about. I am lifting heavy in deadlifts and it's not as though I feel I'm weak in this area, it's just the book was suggesting that this a important area to concentrate on perhaps this was because was because of his background in wing chun?

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

bruces training methods arent exactly standing the test of time (thats as nice as i could put it). do a search on this site for a wrist roller, follow chinning advice, google farmers walks, google captains of crush. if you do these you will have a formidable grip.

7. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

I know that training methods have evolved a great deal since his time but i find it hard to understand how you can criticize something you haven't tried?

8. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

new learners deadlift comment is spot on
    reverse curls and as mentioned chins or hanging for time can be great too
    GI practice however is indisencable

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'd never heard of it before either. A quick Google turned this up:

http://www.gwangung.co.uk/products/products_offers_details.asp?prod_id=506

One glaring problem with it is it says it can hold up to five 5Kg weights. You'll almost certainly find that's far too little. For a comparison, that's 55lb, whereas the trainer Captain of Crush (CoC) requires 100lb of force to close. And that's just the trainer! I'd skip it if I were you.

What I'm about to say may not make my popular with the CoC fans on here, but, I recently got myself an Ivanko Supergripper:

[​IMG]

This is purely my personal opinion, but I find it far better than the CoCs. Depending on where you are, you can usually pick one up for ~£30.

10. lukaz_

lukaz_ Valued Member

I would just get Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield, it covers basically everything you need, and there are tons of home made grip tools for all grip aspects.

As for bruce lee's grip trainer, its good, but not that one which only lets you put 25kg, I would say something like this:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1247

But in my opinion that's a bit too expensive.

Good luck on you training :D

11. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

Cosmic Fish do you know that the resistance you're claiming on the Ivanko Super Gripper is based on a calculation that hasn't been proved? (This is from the website that sells them)

12. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

13. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm not sure I understand you. In what way is it not proved? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious to learn more about it. Do you have the link?

I'll agree there's a poor correlation between the poundages claimed for the CoCs and those claimed for the ISG. For example, my ISG set to 100lb is noticably harder to close than my CoC #T.

However, from a training perspective I don't think it's hugely important what figures you ascribe to the various settings. I believe one of it's most important features is the ability to make regular small increases in resistance.

14. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

Thanks for the link Kmguy8 I think you've found what I've been looking for

15. lukaz_

lukaz_ Valued Member

Yeah, forget what I said.

Very good article kmguy :D

16. El Barto

El Barto Valued Member

The link is www.ivanko.com in relation to the poundages you were claiming it says "This calculation ASSUMES the springs are identical" I'm not trying to say you're wrong I'm just saying it's not proven

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

*sigh*
    Why dosn't any body ever use a metal weight on the end of a long piece of bamboo and bang it against a massibe bell anymore?

Oh woops...too much Shaolin Master Killer for me. HEHE.

Nah seriously though, there are a matrillion ways to do your wrists and forearms, so just google it and go for it.

18. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

hmmm..

I dunno so far as grip machines go.. but the eagle catcher looks pretty sweet. i usually just try to do 1 arm hang drills on my pull up bar.. but if you dont have access to a pull up bar then just use a tree. and lol who cares what the cars driving by your fronr yard think about the hanging monkey man.. at least your grip will be stronger than theirs.. lol i thought that one out a little too thoroughly.. anyway here's a link to the eagle catcher.. http://www.selfdefence.com/ninja/sparring/mec.jpg

19. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Another thing to do is to pick up the heaviest dumbbells you can carry and move with, and hold them at your sides until failure.

20. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

If you want to improve forearm strength (which helps grip) do forearm curls.

It worked for me :D .