Wrestling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

What's a good way to start wrestling as an adult? Does it benefit martial arts or self-defence as an adjunct or does it require as much time as martial arts to learn?

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Wrestling is physically demanding and technical discipline. Wrestling is a martial art. It's going to take time and dedication to succeed in and to gain proficiency.

As for how to get involved, that depends on where you are. Try MMA gyms for freestyle and sub wrestling classes? Search your local area ?

3. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Funny this thread comes up just now.......

I just got back from a trip to Gettysburg, Pa., where I watched my grandson compete in an open Wrestling tournament. I can't say that everything came out exactly how he had hoped, but the experience was an eye-opener for me, having been to MA tournaments many years back. Of special interest to you is the fact that there was what may have been a 40-something competing in the "open" division.

Looking around at the t-shirts and uniforms that people were wearing it seems that most of the players were members of teams sponsored by towns and cities with a few private clubs and some schools thrown in for good measure. I don't think you would have a very hard time finding a good club to work-out in.

As far as relating to MA training I think training in Wrestling would be excellent conditioning. As far as relating to a particular MA practice I think you would run into the same sorts of conflicts that any other person might have in cross-training between two separate but similar activities. Personally I think the biggest problems that I would have, were I to do it, would be having to refrain from striking or kicking when the opportunity presented itself, not working against the joints and safely returning a partner to the mat. Is there a reason that you would rather do Wrestling than, say, Judo?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

it is a martial art so it would wouldnt it, like any martial art look for clubs in your area (I take it your american as you said the adult thing) that isn't just for high school kids.

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Wrestling is a crucial skill. In the art I study, wrestling (by which is meant grappling whether clinch, or ground) is the foundational skill for all the armed components. It's great to be able to control an opponent's body and put it where you want it.

Our oldest manuscript in the Liechtenauer tradition (ca. 1389) states:

"Alles fechten kommt von ringen" (All fencing/fighting comes from wrestling)

Go wrestle, it's good for you.

Best regards,

-Mark

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I started wrestling when I was 28-29. Its hard work but its great.
    It generally boosted my strength across the board of other MA I train in. As I trained MMA in the past quite a lot and muay thai/kf being my main arts, my clinching was considering quite good.
    Adding in the wrestling just made it all the more better.

I still suck at wrestling though. Need a bit more on the power side.

7. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I do jujitsu but I wondered whether say freestyle wrestling would complement it at some point.

8. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

No, British. What kind of clubs? Associated with the BWA or some other body?

9. bajie

bajie Valued Member

Up till recently wrestling in the UK seemed to be really only prominent in a few localised areas like Bolton, which has a long wrestling history and according to the BWA website has 5 clubs in the town area and another 6 or so close by in Wigan and Manchester. This kind of density always pushes up quality of clubs and teaching, as other clubs listed by the BWA seems pretty much spread out for the most part.

IMO defintntley worth doing, but depending on what is in your local area you may be better off joining a good quality Judo club instead.

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Thats really hard to say. I used to think that I had the rules for Wrestling competition down pretty well but apparently times (and rules) have changed. For instance, I remember that it used to be illegal to clasp hands around the opponent's body, but apparently its very much situation-specific.

There's no doubt that Wrestling would be sound conditioning. And its always a benefit to compete against strangers instead of always working with partners you know. I just wonder if there would be problems with what is allowed in which practice.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

birmingham also has a few clubs....but honestly submission wrestling is bigger and probable easier to find

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

most wrestling clubs will be BWA associated yes

13. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

In that case sticking with jujitsu would seem better. Yes clubs do seem to be pretty sparse outside of the north.

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

16. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Wrestling or grappling is an integral part of Martial Arts. If you can't grapple, you are no more a Martial Artist then a guy who can't throw a punch.

17. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I thought it was judo that involved grappling. Does jujitsu or karate?

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

A lot of different MA contain grappling within their cirriculums. Some are very much grappling arts first and foremost (wrestling, BJJ, Le Gouren, etc) and some are arts with varying degrees of grappling included in addition to other skillsets (striking, weapons, etc).

Best regards,

-Mark

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Join an MMA gym in the UK.
    Most run wrestling.
    Which part of the UK are you in?

20. selenagemez

selenagemez New Member

same question...need more advice about martial arts