wrestling vs point sparring

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by raaeoh, Oct 25, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I see how you might make the comparison between point sparring and flow wrestling.

The most obvious thing that I see is that this truncates wrestling and limits it quite severly with respect to how one would normally wrestle. Normally wrestling is continuous with points being scored for different things along the way. This competiton is not about wresting as much as looking at one of the skills of wrestling. I think it is much more limited/restrictive than karate point fighting whatever you thinkof it.

Another thing that is quite different is that in karate point fighting you have judges who decide what scores. In the flow wrestling system there is no judge error as the band it tore off or not. This seems more straightforward than a karate competition.

Now while I see that you can make a comparison I am not quite sure why you would want to. Is there something that comparing how grapplers and strikers score a match tells you about either? Just interested.

LFD

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I do wrestle from time to time. I am not comparing the two styles as much as I am the point system. Yes it is an obvious point if the band is removed. A judge does get final say on the point though. If one beats an opponent by taking the the band, and one beats an oponet by the first hit is it not the same? I lost a a point sparring tournament to a fast but inferior hit.

Don't get me wrong i.like the battle band concept. It can only make you better at wrestling. Just like I believe point sparring makes you better in a fight. (If you can get over the light contact thing)

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Point sparring lends itself to show boating, doing things that have no realistic ability to hurt someone etc... (backfists witha foam glove that hit with part of the glove with no hand inside it etc)

Hopefully this band method leaves less discussion about who gets a point.

Personally I find all the rule changes in wrestling frustrating. I don't know if this sort of competion will help anything from practical standpoint as a wrestler but it looks like a bit of fun and might get more kids out.

I started out in the days of ''super Dan Anderson" and others on the point fighting circuit (late 1970's) and I thought far too much had nothing to do with any form of fighting. This became clearer when some point fighters entered full contact tournaments and usually got dropped. I'm not convinced that point fighting makes you any better in a real fight.

So although I find point fighting bad for karate I might see the band thing having lmited usefulness in wrestling... bet it will never catch on in greco ;' )

LFD