Wrestling in Iowa

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 2, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting... It got me to thinking how to employ this in my rolling these days... and so tonight I was flipping through an old issue of Jiu-Jitsu magazine (June/July 2011) and there is a great little article with Kenny Johnson and Clay Guida with 3 variations of the Fireman's carry - one of them using the Gi collar! Sweet bit of info to have kicking around. I think I know what's coming up this week at rolling. Though I'm sure I'll find out the issues with counters to it as well! :D

The version you posted is interesting. I'd be curious to see someone with more BJJ experience take a look at that. Obviously different sport, different rule sets - but jeez he makes that look as smooth as butter. Great execution. The version I use 'shoots the Christmas goose'... in that you go right into the crotch for the carry instead of with both legs. :p That saying stuck in my head over many years... I finally realized - 'goosing' doesn't have anything to birds and everything to do with shooting your arm through someones crotch. :p

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

We were taught, as wrestlers, to use the far leg fireman's as a secondary option for when your opponent steps back during your shot for the default fireman's. We were also taught to bait our opponents and have them thinking normal fireman's so when they stepped back they would give you the far leg.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

we used to do it in judo, don't remember the name for it though, there might be something in that which would help you transition it for jiu jitsu and the gi.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yeah i know the one your talking about!
    there's the standard kata guruma.
    theres the modified where instead of high crotching you; grab the sleeve and grab both lapels of there gi with one hand just under their navel and bend the elbow making an upper cutting motion to simulate the high crotch while dropping on to your knees for the throw.

theres another one too.
    my sensei called it the elbow-kata-guruma.
    its immensely hard - you grab both lapels of the gi with one hand, just under the solar plexus and grab both lapels with the other just above the solar plexus (thumb pointing down), as you drop onto your knees for the throw, you create a platform with you forearms, while circling them overhead.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

on a side note if you every get to train with a coach produced out of the hawkeyes do it, the stories they tell are worth the price of the seminar alone lol

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, our Wrestling we learn is alright. We learn the techniques more than the actualy styles though xD

As Zaad seen with "The Japanese Double". :p

7. Mangosteen

my only problem with the japanese double is the distance you have to reach with the arms to get them down.
    the freestyle double puts the head to the side so there no distance to reach with the arms.
    but the japanese double is probably some dirty japanese pro-wrestling stuff :p

8. Pretty In Pink

Apparently it's Sumo, and it's done that way because they face each other head on, rather than pn lead foot and one rear foot. :)

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I thought Josh trained with eric Paulson mainly and still trains with him, and also spent a lot of time with billy robinson?

10. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Id just like to point out from reading some of the post in this thread, BJJ is NOT the be all end all of subs and that their are many other different styles with shipfuls of subs as well.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

really ? we had no idea....

12. Pompeythegreat

Im am just pointing out that you are making out that BJJ is the most important thing to happen to submissions.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I am ??? how is this, how much time have you spent on this website as a hole ? one of its strongest points is the vast knowledge and experience of its grappler's which transcends many styles, is this thread alone not an example where someone has posted a cool wrestling video and the discussion has gone on too catch wrestling (a submission style with no connection to bjj ?). I find your comments outlandish bjj has barley been mentioned on this thread, and as I have said we have grappler's of all walks from sambo, judo and catch as catch can posting here. I have never seen a single example of the "BJJ is grappling" attitude on this forum (from anyone let alone myself), even most of the younger grappler's that regularly post here have experience which both includes and transcends BJJ including myself so in short what on earth are you talking about ?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ill take a stab at this......BJJ is the most important thing to happen to submission grappling in the last 50 years at least :) flame away at me if you like

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Besides, with grappling, everyone is pretty much willing to learn from everyone else. You don't have all the lineage nonsense you have in so many TMAs. I have a background in folkstyle wrestling, submission grappling and BJJ with my heart still belonging to folkstyle wrestling.

If someone pulls off a cool move or take down I don't go, blah! that's from Sambo I won't use it. My reaction is cool, can you teach me that.

Big difference in mindset.

16. Pretty In Pink

This thread is generally about wrestling, I don't see anything about BJJ being the best here. In fact if I'm honest, the CACC subs are my favourite, because they're so nasty :D

17. Pompeythegreat

Actually i agree with you on that statement

18. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Have to admit, I didn't see any mention of BJJ at all through the thread. Granted, I skimmed over it. Perhaps a specific quote of where BJJ was mentioned would help?

Anyways, to stay on topic, wrestling vids looks pretty neat! I'm quite disappointed that my high school doesn't have a wrestling team haha.

19. Mangosteen

speaking of wrestling - aikido has some sumo foundations if im not mistaken?
    Sumo looks awesome! its so similar to greco-roman and would be great in the clinch or against the cage.

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I have no idea. I never really did anything remotely similar to wrestling in my brief time in Aikido, at least with techniques. They may share similar concepts here and there, but my knowledge is limited.

Sumo does look pretty awesome!