wrestling dropped from the Olympics ?!?!

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by axelb, Feb 12, 2013.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

A lot of us are already aware of the contenders to make place, but let's list them again:

baseball/softball,
    squash,
    karate,
    sport climbing,
    wakeboarding,
    wushu,
    roller sports,

A big part of getting a new sport is dropping a sport.

I don't like that they have dropped Wrestling which has it's roots way back in the original Olympic games.

I imagine it comes down to country participation and funding (plus the all important IOC board member preferences).

What would everyone's order of preference be for the next sport?

Let's see your order of preference, and your order of how you expect it to be judged.

I expect the highest contenders a WuShu, Baseball, and Squash.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wushu is gymnastics and tilted for the Chinese, Baseball will be played by pros and is tilted for the Americans and squash...well squash is squash really.

I hate the Olympics more each time - this has put the nail in the coffin for me

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

judo has such complex rules now.
    theres so many styles of karate. wushu is a dance. sport climbing was dropped by the x-games for the varying rules and difficulty judging. baseball is dominant in only a few countries.
    wrestling has lots of competitors from lots of countries. FILA is pushing for other grappling sport comps etc. and it's really well established.
    roller sports and squash sound good although roller sports will be better for spectators.

4. Mangosteen

The influx of top level MMA competitors from wrestling backgrounds will change
    there's nothing to aspire to in the olympics so MMA is the way to go

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I watched several hours of wrestling during the Olympics and Tbh it was dull as dishwater.
    It depends if San Shou is included under Wushu really.

6. Mangosteen

the greco roman is boring. freestyle is great

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It isn't. It's just the silky dancing bit.

This decision is a travesty on every available level.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Do you have a source for that?

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

apparently, the summer games are capped at a certain number. so to make room for one sport, another has to be dropped. it's pretty sad if wrestling is dropped.

i just don't see how wrestling, which has a tradition in many countries, can be dropped in favor of anything off the list. how is trampoline an olympic sport anyway?

10. Ben Gash CLF

It's a sport that has far higher participation levels than basketball.

11. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

So would you now say that Karate has a good chance of making it into the 2020 Olympics, looking at that list?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. Ben Gash CLF

It's hard to say. It's superficially similar to TKD, which may count against it.

14. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Im not sure if I want to see karate in the Olympics, I've heard convincing arguments for and against.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Of the list I'd say climbing and wakeboarding are probably the front runners, unless some sketchy financial/political deal is done with baseball.

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20757712

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

trampoline has higher participation rates worldwide than basketball? really?

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They picked wrestling?! Over TKD?! WTF?!

19. Ben Gash CLF

They should probably communicate that better to the member groups then, as we were even having technical meetings and discussions about preparing for Olympic inclusion last year.

20. Ben Gash CLF

You're taking an American-centric view.