Wow this looks awesome/looking for ju jutsu in melbourne

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by NinjaSkillz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Maybe a change in format for Monday? :evil:

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

"Lots of high kicking" I don't see that as an issue, they seem to be able to pull those kicks off rather well. Getting kicked in the head is rather unpleasant so if you can deliver such a kick, why not?

"Lots of grabbing on and failing to use kuzushi" When opponents resist throws generally don't look textbook perfect. I saw many examples of people being unbalanced and throws, and some of people effectively resisting the throw causing it to end up looking imperfect.

"Without punches to the head" I don't know about you, but I really don't like getting bare knuckle punched in the face. My guess is neither do they.

"I'm really not sure what I'm seeing" you're seeing well trained people demonstrate their abilities on heavily resisting opponents. The results often look imperfect.

I do agree about the safety issues, unless this is a competition and they all went in knowing full well to expect to be roughed up.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Do you mean the bit after it says full contact and we see the kid (looks like a typical Finnish guy between 19-21) get kicked and the ref stop the fight?

As for your other comments...Would you like to share a video of your sparring sessions and we can see how you stack up? Oooh...yeah, we've been down that road.

4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Not sure about what art you study, but the kicking seemed a bit flashy to me. To each his own I guess. Getting kicked to the head is very unpleasant, people will disagree on it's practicality in real life, and nobody can argue that it will leave you in trouble if you mess up.

Getting hit with bare knuckles isn't an issue. A knee or elbow can cut you just as easily(didn't recall seeing many elbows except in demonstration btw). The gloves are to protect the hand and if you allow kicks to the head, why not punches?

I'm quite aware of what techniques look like when resistance is involved, what sparring and competing look and feel like, and the fighting level seemed amateurish. Again, your mileage may vary so we can agree to disagree.

"I don't know what I'm seeing," was referring to the format of the encounters and what the strategy of the art was. I saw more kicking and no hands in one part, some rolling around trying to punch the other guy in another, and some mixed into one stuff.

5. Grass hopper

[​IMG]

6. Please reality

I mean, the kid didn't look like he should've been in there in the first place. It is hard to know without seeing more of what was going on before he got kicked, but the way the video was edited, it seems to appeal to an audience looking for blood so they deliver.

Posting a video of myself would not change what that looked like. Nor would you posting one of yourself. We don't have to agree but your point is a bit irrelevant. It seems the majority level of this thread is waning fast...

7. Grass hopper

For your first question, I have a black belt in shorin ryu shidokan. High kicks where never emphasized (okinawan karate, not a tournament school or anything) but I've been on the receiving end and one one or two occasions successfully used them.

Getting hit with bare knuckles isn't an issue? My face is too pretty to cut up like that.

Amateurish, well seeing as they weren't samurai I would say they probably where amateur. I didn't see amateurish fighting, I saw people performing imperfectly because (I've covered this before) it wasn't a demo.

8. Please reality

So you are worried about looking pretty?:evil:

So safety issues would make kicks to the head preferable to punches to the face? If that is an issue, headgear or other restrictions make sense. It still doesn't address the fact that on the streets, punches to the face are common, probably more so than kicks to the head(unless you live in some martial arts movie). You can get cut from any strike to the face, be it a kick, elbow, knee, or punch.

Again, I pointed out what I thought looked amateurish, I don't recall mentioning anywhere that it not looking textbook perfect was one of them.:rolleyes:

I'll add that upon further viewing of the kick to the head, it does appear that the guy has a black belt on but he looked young to me. You can try to use logical arguments or you can continue with the insinuations and immature swipes.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The format reminded me of the old KSBO ruleset (which is basically MMA without head punches)

For a Gendai club that is how you should train if you ask me, but not all the time and certainly not for the beginners

10. Grass hopper

Of course I want to look pretty, you'd be suprised how often a little charm and a good smile come in handy :)

Kyokushin uses he same rules regarding punching and kicking to the head. If they allowed punches to the head there would be a ton of them, leaving a lot of blood on the mat. Kicks to the head are less common, take more skill, and due to the shape of the foot (no sharp knuckles, sharpest thing is the heel or toenails) leads to less cuts and such.

It didn't look to me like practice for street fights, looked to me like people pitting their jujitsu against each other. That said I think they could hold their own.

11. Please reality

I know Kyokushin does, and always wondered if that was the biggest reason they had so much trouble in K1(well that and speed). I think of it as more of a toe to toe knock em sock em kind of strategy.

I've been kicked in the head and kicked others before and have seen cuts from toenails and toenails ripped out from the impact of the kick so I understand your point.

On the mat, sure they could hold their own in that kind of format. I was just pointing out the things I saw that I didn't like as I wasn't only thinking about that sparring format in my criticism. I know that there sparring wasn't self defense, but in looking at the disarms and weapons work, it seems to me an overall philosophy.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

I like this style. It's the only one where you get to see how far a few months of training will take you and how you will go fighting against some of the best practitioners of other martial arts around the world.

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Almost identical to the Gendai style I trained in except for the high kicks. We didn't kick higher than the knee to avoid compromising balance and didn't kick up intensity this high except in randori which was not often enough to my liking tbh. Other than that seems to be the same. Some of the footage seems to be sparring, some more demo-y. There's a gun defense technique in the vid where tori brings the gun-holding hand back toward his head. Didn't like that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  14. Grass hopper

I wish they had a dojo at BSU!

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

If they had a dojo near me I'd go. They're passionate at least.

16. Kave

Kave Lunatic

A noticeable lack of tree-climbing and smoke bombs.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

High kicks work alright. I kick poeple in the head all the time :)

18. Kave

Kave Lunatic

There is a thread on Bullshido where there an interesting overview of Hokutoryu is given by a student of the style:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48237
    and here is a video of a Hokutoryu competition:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up2RWAbxlS4"]Hokutoryu Ju-Jutsu SM 2010 Final -86 kg - YouTube[/ame]
    It looks like an art that would do quite well under the SJJ ruleset.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The reason we didn't do them is not because they don't work per se but because of the emphasis put on being grounded at all times in that particular style and the philosophy that they can compromise your balance if you get countered, slip, whiff etc, meaning you can quickly end up with a guy on top of you. The kicks are kept low (foot/head stomps, thrusting/round house to the knees...) or thrusting to the mid section to create space to stay as grounded as possible. That said I like them and am lucky to be flexible enough for a bigger guy to be able to pull them off though I would most likely never use a high kick in a SD scenario.

20. NinjaSkillz

NinjaSkillz New Member

The move from 0.42-44...is that a ju jitsu move? or is it learnable in BJJ and Judo?