Wouldn't this be cool for Sport Arnis?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by littlebadboy, May 24, 2005.

1. Ferdie

Ferdie New Member

I'm not too familiar w/ the rules of saber fencing. I guess it would be w/o the limitation of just linear movement (do I make sense?). Of course if the technology is advance enough, you would have stick rules competition & blade rules competition. That would be really nice...

2. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

There must be a corresponding revision of rules and regulations if we adopt a technology that is advanced enough to measure power and speed that is relevant to true combat. Are we talking about stickfighting or a simulated fight with blades? A stick can deliver blows powerful enough to cripple or kill but in real fights, people can still survive powerful blows. I have personally witnessed these. A blade, on the other hand, will cut through skin, muscle and tissue, no matter how tough a guy is.
    If we want to see simulated blade-fights, then the game must change. Instead of scoring the highest points within a set time, the winner should be the one who can first score five (an arbitrary number; it could be six) 'debilitating' blows. After all, in a real sword fight, the first guy who scores wins. In this type of game, the older, more experienced fighter will win over the younger but more athletic opponent. Power in Arnis is not just about PSI. It is about stopping power. A round-nose bullet may register higher measurement in an equipment than a hollow-point because of its penetration, but in the real world, the HP is a better man-stopper (assuming that the target is not armored). How is stopping power measured? Unfortunately, I think the only accurate equipment that can do this is the human body. In the case of bullets, some guys in Strsborg tested various calibers and types on live goats. In ancient Japan, they tested blades on condemned criminals.
    Toughness must also enter into the equation. In computer games, it takes a lot more blows to down a 'giant' than a 'dwarf'. There should be something like that in Arnis. Winners should not be the only ones with the most number of strikes.
    As of now, there will always be some bias in sports Arnis towards some kind of players.

3. Tank Gurl

Tank Gurl A Thorny Rose

Very neat!