Would your style be able to compete with Ju Jitsu?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shuto uchi, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

The UFC is NOT BOXING!

No, but in the first few UFCs it would be perfectly legal. So, how many noses have you bitten off?

Andy, please rectify this very personal attack.

How many times do I have to tell you, THERE WERE NO RULES?! The ref couldn't even stop the fight until the guy surrendered!

There was an incident where one fighter wanted to surrender but couldn't remember to tap and the referee was helpless to do anything as he was severely drubbed about the head and kneck area.

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Nope I dont mean any of those this is a fairly recent match- it was not an eye gouge or anything like that it was a punch that apparently scratched the surface of the guys eye and the match was stopped... I will go look for the details but it was a pretty highly anticipated match so I thought you would have heard of it.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Easy John!

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Those things were allowed, they just weren't done. If I recall correctly, you got docked a bit of your fight money for using dirty techniques in fighting, greed making a pretty good motivator not to do those things.

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Here you go hedgehogey the main event in UFC 46 Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort is stopped in less than a minute from an inadvertant "corneal abrasian" to Couture's eye. Vitor Belfort gains the championship (from Sherdog) Ive seen the video and it was caused by a seemingly harmless exchange of punches. And Im not trying to say this happens very often by the way...

6. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Gordeau. Gordeagordeaugordeau.

7. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Hmm...well, point taken. Refs have stopped fights for truly retarded things, especially with the smear campaigns against MMA that go on.

8. Shuto uchi

Shuto uchi New Member

Looking back on it

I really wish I hadn't posted this thread. Of course Karate people are going to defend their art and of course grapplers will defend grappling, I liked the posts, but now it seems like the topic is just going south.

I think all styles are interesting and have their upsides. I also wasn't trying to take a cheap shot at Ju Jitsu, or any other type of grappling. I wrestled from pee wee league in 2nd grade, all the way through 12th grade in high school and I know there is a definate science to it.

The friend who badgers me at work is really just trying to get me to drop my ****o-Ryu class and go to Roanoke College and take Ju Jitsu with him (both classes are on the same 2 nights each week) , but I really like the Karate forms I am learning and intend to stick with it, although the wrestler inside of me is very intrigued by alot of the moves my buddy shows me.

Once again I want to reitterate that I wasn't trying to start a topic to downgrade the grappling style, I guess the way I worded the original thread it seemed as if I were. Sorry

9. ranger

ranger New Member

then you have not seen all evidence.

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Ranger: Show me counterevidence then.

Shuto uchi: Why not take both classes?

11. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all wish that things like these won't happen, but against all hope, they always do.

12. Andy Murray

Thread back on target or locked, which will it be?

Hedgehogey, it would save everyone a lot of time if you'd just simply post a thread of your own instead of hijacking other peoples.

How about;

"What's wrong with everybody else, by me?"

13. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Umm...this thread is about wether various styles could compete against jiujitsu. That appears to be what we were arguing about.

14. Andy Murray

We have discussions here, not arguements!

Thread locked.

If the thread originator wishes it to be re-opened, then please contact a Mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.