Would your style be able to compete with Ju Jitsu?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shuto uchi, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You were talking about standup?

You mentioned Pure grappler, vs Pure striker?

Yeah, the Grappler will shoot or whatever.

Yeah the Pure Striker won't handle that.

I just wondered what the pure Striker was doing all the time they were both stood up?

Knitting?

Origami?

:D

2. Andy Murray

Ease up on the slightly personal posts my friend.

The sarcasm pass is mine for the weekend! ;)

3. The Wastrel

The Wastrel New Member

Andy,
    Grappling is not synonymous with groundfighting. The question isn't what either of them are doing. I'm simply pointing out that the "pure" grappler is not completely out of his element when standing, while the striker basically is once the fight has gone to the ground.

I don't think I know a grappler who doesn't want to learn strikes. On the other hand...

Nrv4evr,
    Was that a personal attack? I, sir, am shocked. I hope to speak with you again after your sin-binning.

4. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i'm sorry, was that a personal attack? i was too damn busy firing a glock. (read the text under my name. that's why i do this. it's a birth defect.)

5. The Wastrel

The Wastrel New Member

:cry:

Please sir, you must desist! I cannot handle your biting wit! I am at the limit of my tolerance for personal insults to my dignity. Any more...and I will surely die.

6. Andy Murray

Thought we'd moved on Christian?

Didn't say he was. I was just picking up on your earlier comment, and wondering if the odd fight finishing hook or whatever might land on the "pure" Grappler before his corner explained what was happening? *shrug*

"The times they are a changing", mentioning a tired old record, for a tired old record. ;)

7. Andy Murray

Take it the exams are finished?

Check your Yahoo!

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

good acting...lol k i'll shut up....jeez it takes 5 posts to get my ass kicked...

9. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Of course the reverse is applicable.... so you see if the striker is better at avoidance than the grappler is moving in........... were back to square one.... fact is... its the fighter not the style that is better.

Mike O'Leary....

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Noone has succesfully used avoidance/body position/range control/whatever in vale tudo.

Primarily strikers use defensive grappling moves like sprawling to avoid being taken down or tied up.

You can talk theory, but the evidence shows that even the best pure strikers WILL get taken down.

And bruce lee did not write "its the fighter not the style that is better" to justify training like a wuss.

11. Mike O'Leary

No one where? In the set up, commercial, pay per view challenges you talk of...hmmmmmmmm lets see... in your 20 years of life... i guess you must have a pretty good handle on all this. Once again... got any statistics?

Mike O'Leary

12. Mike O'Leary

Karate VS Pay per view..

I find it interesting that people who support the ultimate fighting challenge and pay per view fights would choose the karate forum to come in and challenge the traditional arts.

At least if you do provide some documentation when you make statements. But my suggestion is that if all you are lookin for is an argument why not switch forum's.......... ?????????????????

I have been training in traditional Okinawan karate and kobudo since 1981 so if you wernt born then perhaps you should move on or at least back up your statements.........

It seems popular lately to study a few years and switch styles under the guise of "gaining" a well rounded experience. All the founders of every style be it mixed martial arts or grappling or striking.. have studied more than one style for many years before they branched off with their own versions......

Recognize each path on the mountain as one leading to the top, and that there is more than one path, not just the one that you are travelling today.

Mike O'Leary

13. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Anyone can throw a punch, even though they just study pure ground they can throw a fist. And anyone can take on natural instinct to wrap your arm around someones head and try to cause pain to them. So to say a "pure grappler" vs "pure striker" is pointless.

14. Mike O'Leary

Hey Ronin... I'll back you up in a bar fight any day..hahahhahaha well said.

Mike O'Leary

15. Adam

Adam New Member

I really enjoy huge, sweeping generalizations that aren't backed up by facts. Please hedgehogey, find some facts to back your claims up. And "It happened in the UFC" isn't much of an argument, especially if you can't quote where and when. But if we DO need to quote UFC as the ultimate proof of fighting skills, Mirko Filipovic vs Waterman must have been that 1 in 1000 fights where the striker won then eh?

I sure am glad I train in grappling! I'm now guaranteed to totally destroy any boxer or kickboxer I'd care to name!

16. Andy Murray

Ah but the pure grappler has to watch out for the purer grappler, and he has to look out for the purerer grappler and he........:D

17. 2ral

2ral New Member

in our wing chun classes we do grappling occasionally...since our master is proficent at bjj as well as wing chun. So some grappling techniques are taught and also defences and countermeasures against them. From what Ive seen and it looks like most of the people here agree on this one...if you let a grappler bring you to the ground its over unless you're lucky. kinda depends on the fighters also though, but if they're evenly matched the grappler would win if the fight was taken to the floor.

18. Adam

Adam New Member

Knowing "some" grappling techniques is hardly enough to counter a guy that trains grappling all the time. It might be enough to stop the occasional drunken tackle in real fights though.

19. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Because, my friend, some MMA people are so obsessed with proving that TMAs are completely useless that they'll take every opportunity to say so. Don't ask me why. Inferiority complex perhaps?

Change the bleedin' record mate. By now there are tribes of Inuits, thousands of miles away from civilisation, that know where you stand on this issue.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  20. Andy Murray

*Andy mentally tags Hugh for the 2004 Map Awards. ;)

Bwahahahaaaaaaaa :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.