Would you spar a woman?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Jamo2, Aug 19, 2005.

1. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

I have and probably will continue. She bruises easily so we agree not to go for head shots with each other. She kicks my butt every time. But she is good at sparring and the black belts tell me to face her and learn from her. I have no more qualms about guys than hitting girls. I cant make myself go at full potential in sparring, I feel like I hold back because I am afraid of hurting someone in general.

2. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I can think of a few ex girlfriends i would love to spar with...............

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I have a fairly massive weight advantage over any woman I spar so I tend to hold back massively while fighting them because it's just to easy to hurt them. Of course there will be some women out there close to my size but I haven't met any in MA trainning.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

And one evil ex wife.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've boxed with women in the past and will do so in the future. I do tend to go lighter but only because of the size difference (I'd go lighter on a small bloke too). Generally I'd encourage a smaller or less experienced partner to pound the crap out of me so I can work my defensive skills (remember sparring is learning, not fighting ;) ).

The reason that lots of guys are scared to spar with women is because if they "win" then they beat up a girl, if they "lose" then they got beat up by a girl. It's a no win situation for people who view sparring as a contest ;)

IT'S A TRAINING AID!!!

6. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

I live with my mom and sister.. No dad no brother. So I just couldn't bring myself to hit let alone spar with a girl or woman. Hell I get beat up enough by girls at my highschool lol. Basically I can't because whatever the reason if someone hit my sis or mom... Pray for them. So I can't help but feel I should be getting my @$$ kicked for this.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sure must suck to have to justify your sexist attitude in such a way. thankfully i was born into an irish family- brother, sister, dad, all fair game. My mum is snobby and english and doesnt lower herself to the physical violence that we do.

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I do get uneasy about hitting women in sparring, but the thing to remember is that you're not doing them any favours by going easy on them. How are they going to protect themselves against a would-be rapist or mugger if they're used to blokes covering them in cotton wool?

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'll gladly spar with women, men, old people, young people, I'll even spar a midget :D (in fact, I might even have a chance of winning that one). Seriously though, we have a few ladies at my ju jitsu dojo and a couple at my kickboxing class. I tend to go lighter on them because I'm a fair bit bigger than them, but I'd go lighter on the smaller/ newer guys too
    When it comes to grappling, I tend to prefer rolling with the girls because most of the guys tend to have a fair bit of a weight advantage over me and rolling with the girls, I get to work on my technique more without having to move a tub of lard around

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

edited for the truth :D

11. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

So true so true

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Goddamnit! Caught me out :D

13. hux

hux ya, whatever.

we spar women all the time. I usually say something along the lines of "you set the power, ok?" and then I try not to hit them harder than they hit me :)

I guess the only thing I do different, and this is of my own accord, is that I won't hit a woman in the boob if I can help it. Shrug.

you should definitely not assume that a girl won't hit as hard as a man. Some of the toughest fighters I know are women, they hit like trucks. And they're mean!

14. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well, I have to.. at my club there's this girl who's a real bad-ass puncher... So I have to hit her back real hard, or else MY ass is getting whooped..

She looks great as well :D

Who doesn't love a girl who can kick their ass?? :)

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

wow, she sounds like the perfect women!

I've sparred with a few girls but the problem is they are usually much smaller than me (I'm 6' 4''). There are only a few of girls at my school who spar and they are all 5' 5' ish. I find it tricky with blokes who are smaller than me as well, I'm happiest sparring guys who are bigger and stronger, I tend to perfrom better.

16. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

i would be concerned about kicks to the stomache, they could be pregnant

17. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Probably the most random post ive read in a while.

What woman would willingly go into a sparring match knowing she is pregnant.

18. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

She might not know if she is pregnant, just something that crossed my mind the other day.

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Actually one of our female members just recently posted a thread about this very issue!

And to answer the question... I knoew one when I did TKD. She refused to follow doc's order's, refused to tell the instructor, and although I can't confirm it since I haven't seen her in almost a decade, I think she lost the child due to the jumping around and sparring.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Only if they promise not to hit you in the chest. I mean thats a prime target for me.