Would you say

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by nForce, Apr 3, 2005.

1. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I'm 17 year old, and been going gym for some time

Weight: 234lbs (quite a bit of fat)

Benchpress: 70kg x4
    DB curl: 22.5kg x4
    Leg press: 220kg x4
    Seated Shoulder DB press: 25kg each arm x4

Just wonering if my strength for a 17yr old is good or bad, and how strong should i aim to get?

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

70kgx4 is a pretty poor bench for someone 234lbs, but I don't know how much fat you're carrying. If you're 230 odd pounds at 17 then no doubt there's a lot of muscle lying dormant in you, unless you're like...morbidly obese.

I'm guessing that if you benched more often and knew what you were doing then it would be far better.

3. b33p

b33p New Member

70kg is fine for a 17 year old.. atleast you know he has some muscle strength buried in there.

4. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

How much do you squat and deadlift? 70 Kg is better than nothing in a bench.

5. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

i could tell you... if i was an idiodic American who still cant grasp the metric system..... lol

6. GhostOfYourMind

metric to US: multiply by 2.2

US to metric: divide by 2.2

7. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

lol 2.2lbs == 1kg.

If i was 200lbs i'd be pretty cut i think, so about 34lbs of excess fat.

It is wierd with my bench, becuase i can dumbell press 30kg each arm, but only 70kg on bench press, where i should be benching about 80kg at least

8. Maverick

Maverick New Member

How do you bench? In terms of sets/reps, and frequency of benching.

9. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I go gym 5 times a week, do a different body part each night, and each week mix up my work out, but generaly every other chest workout will have bench press. So once every 2 weeks

I dont consider myself strong for a 17 year old by any imagination, but without anyone i know using steroids, i dont know of anyone who can bench that much my age

10. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Or try this easier method:

Take the kilograms and double it (i'll use 50kg as an example):
    50 x 2 = 100
    Take the last digit off that answer
    100 = 10
    Add that new number to the doubled number
    10 + 100 = 110
    50kg = 110lb

:D

11. Hidden_Dragon

Hidden_Dragon New Member

DITO , I am 16 and at my peak quite a while ago i could just about bench that weight 1 -4 times at the end of my chest workout. I don't know anyone about our age that can bench that. Don't worry your doing good. Try cutting.

12. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

You need squats and deadlifts. You are at a great age to gain muscle and strength so add the big compound lifts (these will give you the greatest return). Dont even bother with bodypart training if you want to be strong.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You're 17 and you think you are 200lbs lean? I HIGHLY doubt that, especially at those weights unless you are 6 foot 10! Try doubling that figure, more like 60-70lbs spare weight.

I second the suggestion of deadlifts, squats etc., all the big compounds. Eating clean and proper training should see you drop some of the weight and get stronger.

14. GhostOfYourMind

First off, you DEFINITELY need to do squats and deadlifts. Secondly, don't mix up your schedule too much or your body won't adapt and grow! For 4 weeks do the same thing, then change something like sets, reps, etc. Then go for another 4 weeks maybe, and this time change the exercises or something. But you HAVE to give your body a chance to start adapting to your workout or else you'll just be shocking it so much that it won't even try anymore. Now be careful as if you stay on the same program for too long you'll stagnate and won't make any gains. And finally, squat and deadlift LOTS!:D

15. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Lol thats only 14.2 stone (200lbs), believe me mate i will probably be heavier once pretty cut, and i'm not talking vascularity, i'm just talking lean.

16. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

And to the guy about mixing the workout up, i've been training for 3 years, so sticking to the same workout for 4 weeks isn;t as effective on me no more

17. b33p

b33p New Member

At 15 years of age I was lifting 50-60kg for my bench press.

I also doubt that that is all lean.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

What, do you stay on a certain program for longer or shorter than 4 weeks? Also, how tall are you? I highly doubt that you are about 17-18% bodyfat at 234lbs with the kind of numbers you posted up before, unless you are juicing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  19. b33p

b33p New Member

Be honest with Adam..the fitness guru knows all!

20. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I swap my program about once every week, i.e.

Monday week 1:

Flat bench press
    Incline db press
    DB flies
    Pec deck

Monday week 2:

Flat DB press
    Incline bench press
    Stood up cable flies
    pullovers

Thats how i swap my workout up.

And i am 6ft 2"/3" , so being 200lbs (14stone 4lbs) and pretty cut, i'm not talking like a bodybuilder, but no belly etc, i think is realistic, as does many bodybuilding forums im a member on, and as does my owner of my gym who won mr universe a number of times