Would you say this is a good club

Discussion in 'Judo' started by sn11, Sep 7, 2006.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hey i'm thinking about doing Judo to aid with my training in MA. i think that because of the main grappling nature it will fill in the blanks of what i dont already do in TKD. heres the site to the place i'm thinking of joining. Thanks.

http://www.portlandjudo.co.uk/

If you could tell me what you think of it or suggest other places that'd be great :D

2. CraigUsher

CraigUsher Valued Member

Good price, instructors seem cool - but as everyone will say. Dont judge it by the site. Go along and check it out!

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

cheers, yeah i'll give it a try soon :D

Also do you know if judo usually encorperates unarming people?

Its just i was reading that Judo was made from jujitsu and also read it shares a lot of similarities, and as jujitsu teaches you how to defend yourself agaisnt an attacker with say a bottle/knife etc i was wondering if judo does the same...thanks much.

4. CraigUsher

CraigUsher Valued Member

Nah I wouldnt think that most Judo clubs do this. We definetly do it in Jiu-Jitsu...but im afraid I'd say no for Judo.

Judos described as the sport equivelent of Jiu-Jitsu sometimes. Lots of throws and you start most of them from the grappling position etc. Jiu-Jitsus much more dynamic and street defence oreintated in my opinion.

5. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Judo is done on a resisting partner though which should make it more effective. Won't be any weapons though, but as your doing TKD as well - best not to try and learn everything at once.

6. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

thanks for the replies, yeah thats what i was thinking. I really didnt want to train too much all in one go but hopefully the two won't be too much :D

7. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

2 will be fine, both sports that require skill over aggression/brawn, you'll get a good kicking/groundwork base in the M/A that you have chosen. TAGB has one of the best competition circuits there is, and you fight to grade in Judo. If you want to complete the picture you can always add Muay Thai/Boxing/Kickboxing later on. Good luck you're going to have a great time.