Would you get involved or sit still in your seat ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Alansmurf, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Simples :hat::hat:

Attached Files:

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That guy is a straight up HERO! I'd like to think that I'd do exactly the same. For him to overcome that initial adrenaline rush and not freeze too much in itself fantastic.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Takes serious balls to intervene when a knife is being waved around.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Did I see a fish hook from the driver?

Well done to the gent for stepping in.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, I noticed the fishhook too. Bold move from the bystander, fortunately position and tunnel vision aided him. Great example of the importance of decisiveness and commitment. Once he'd made the decision to intervene he really went for it.

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Brave man, my natural response would be too help and would hope others would do the same, but heres the question what if you are travelling with your family say wife and young child?...That would make it considerably more complicated, getting involved might put them in danger.

Hope he at least got a few free bus journeys? :)

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Damn, someone needs to buy that man a pint.

Honestly I don't know what I would have done. I would like to have thought I'd step in and help but without actually being put in that situation...I just don't know.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think the proximity of the knife would probably have made my decision for me.

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Question I have is did they just throw him off the bus and leave? I would hope that anyone would have done the same thing. I sadly know that this is not the case. I would like to think that I would've. I will probably never really know for sure though.

11. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I think in that position most people would. The driver was already resisting him and his back was turned, in hindsight wouldn't a RNC work better? Also they didn't wait for the police? Just threw him out of the bus with a knife?

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm not sure on that one actually. You'd be relying on the other guy to control the knife for you, which is not something I could see a lot of people willingly do under pressure.

Also I think the fear factor of the knife itself would have made a big difference to how it would be viewed in the heat of the moment.

It looks like it. To be fair though, it wouldn't be safe to keep him on the bus and no doubt he could have legged it before the police turned up as it was. In some ways it could be seen as better to get the bus driver (the original target), the bystander who helped and the rest of the passengers away from the guy with the knife as fast as possible.

13. CrowZer0

After taking that beating and being overpowered by two men. It wouldn't have been too difficult to restrain his arms have him flat on the ground and just sit. On him until the police get there. I think the fact that he had his back to the passenger and was already struggling with the driver were huge factors. If he didn't have his back to anyone and freely waving the knife around it could be a completely different scenario. But in that position as the passenger I would like to think most people would intervene.

14. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

Not really, putting a RNC on an armed guy is just giving him a constant stimuli that he can adapt to. Better a variable stimuli (what they did in the video) to overwhelm the OODA loop.

Social justice, my good sir, social justice. Seen it a couple of times too, with a more brutal ending.

15. CrowZer0

I'm not sure about how many RNCs you have been under. But I haven't had trouble putting anyone to sleep in 20 to 30 seconds. Most times a lot quicker. An instant reaction to it when unexpected would be perhaps to focus on the arms around the throat no? Kicking out the legs and dragging him backwards would keep him occupied?

My issue with not calling the police and throwing him out with the knife is him taking out his anger on a bystander or someone else.

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I once used the RNC in a bar fight. The guys first reactuon was to flail his hads at my head. A knife in hand may have left me scarred for life at best. His second reaction was to grab my arms in panic. It could go either way I suppose.

17. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Saw a guy RNC another guy in a pub scuffle last year, soon as he set it in, another guy got on the seat behind and proceeded to punch him in the back of the head till he let the other guy go. though fair dues even though he let the other guy go, he didnt seem phased. He was a HUGE guy though.

18. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

Well the driver's not as good as you. And death throes of any being can be a female canine to handle especially with a edged too close by. How much damage can one do in 10 seconds?

Looking at it, I think there was an edit in the video (not shown when they got in back the bus and started driving). We can only guess what happened at that interval...