Would you cross train with other school members on a personal basis?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Terry Matthes, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

If you were curious about Karate and you were a Kung Fu practitioner, would you ever consider finding a school and training say once a month with senior students in a home or local gym? I just thought about it and was curious to see what you all though.
    I took lessons for about half a year when I was 12 (Shotokan Karate) now 8 years later I joined a Issin-Ryu school which developed into a MMA school and have been there for almost 7 months. I find it interesting and by no means boring. I would just like to see how other arts train everyonce and while.

I talked with Andrew Green about this he is my teacher. He said it's hard to get other students to do that because it's kind of like trying to get wallmart shoppers to come visit Zellers, Wallmart's owner might not like it. I'm going to still give it a try, we'll see how it goes.

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I think it would be good to cross train with other arts however mr Green has a point (i did just say that didn't i :D) it can be difficult to get people in different orginisations to come together stupid ass polotics however i think it would be good you could test your skills against different approaches there is a problem if it is the same person as you could become familiar with the way they work.

in and ideal world you could have a link up with a few people or maybe in some crazy utopia schools could work in partnership and have cross training with all the different members keeping everything varied

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

We are encouraged to do this in my dojo. I won't be cross training in the near future, because I am still too new at MA, and I think I would find it confusing (I study two styles at my dojo, as it is).

4. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Just recently I started visiting a good friend of mine at the TKD/hapkido dojo he works at after normal buisness hours. We would exchange TKD, Hpakido, aiki, and taijutsu techniques for a few hours. After a few hours we would spar for an hour or so. Its good fun.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

seems like a good idea. You could potentially make much more rapid progress if you were getting a load more practice done outside of class.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes

In my book, cross training is good. Also my master endorses it. I would let my master know that I am doing it and get his advice, mainly because in my own personal opinion, that's good maners and something that I would ask my master for his blessing in.

Great teachers and schools can be hard to find... if you've found two (your base school and this other)... I would not waste the opportunity.

7. akirabob

akirabob New Member

why, wouldn't you

8. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I haven't actually found another school yet. I have a week long break from school starting on the 20th of October and I think I am gonna go on the hunt then I know of one. I met the instructor doing some movie work. She is a black belt in some sort of Chinese Kung Fu I think its called Ching Na, I could be wrong, but I have her # so I will probably call her up

9. akirabob

akirabob New Member

definately go for it

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I am at that "point" in my training... however to crosstrain (starting a whole new style and taking on the requirments of advancement) would be impossible for me personally.

I love the idea of the possibility of going to another school say once or twice a month to get a "feel" and gain some rather minimal experience from it.... but to formally begin another art would have me kicked out of my house with not even my bags packed!
    (Translation: I spend 4 days a week at my school as it is ...eeK and sometimes Saturday mornings if I don't party Friday night. My husband, kids and employers wouldn't appreciate it much.

I do wish there were more days in the week!!!!

Do it Terry Matthes!! .... while you have the time and desire to do so... that is, if you can find a school, private instruction or club that is willing to take you on in that way.

11. munchkin

munchkin Guest

I am lucky. In my dojo we have a green belt, who is actually a black belt in aikido and kung fu, teach parts of the class in his style. It is very different from what the school's style is so we get the best of both worlds. We get good solid basics and a nice background in a new style. The green belt actually joined the school because he was invited in to give a seminar on Aikido and decided he wanted to cross train in a striking art. Seems he has found two homes - so it is possible. Good luck.

12. shortstick

shortstick New Member

yes go for it! The more people you can get across from and train with ,the better. It lets you find out what works, and what needs work.

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I think it's a fine idea. I have done this in the past & it helps you better understand your first choice training as well as broadening your knowledge. To cross train with others from your class helps again as it makes new avenues of discussion.

My thought is can you claim to know martial arts if you've only ever studied solely one art?;)

14. DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J Banned Banned

I will cross train with anyone.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes its a good idea, and yes I have/do.

But I wouldn't go that far! ;)

Col

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehehehe, Delamar - would you cross train with a Tae Bo class? ;)

|Cain|