would like to know

Discussion in 'Judo' started by MusashiUeshiba, Jul 29, 2006.

1. MusashiUeshiba

MusashiUeshiba Valued Member

hi i was just wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about judo an what the style focuses on (like grabs, throws,kick,punch etc.)i am very interested in this...:)

2. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Judo is a grappeling art that is very rich in throws, and does have some groundwork. The amount of groundwork will vary differently from each club, and no leglocks, spinal locks, neckcranks and closed guards are allowed in competition. Armbars, chokes and pins are allowed, however. More than anything, Judo is very renown for it's throws. A gi is worn to aid in gripping for throws and hte principles of unbalancing(kuzushi) allow judo to work perfectly on anyone of anysize.(Tho, some throws are definintly suited to certain body types.)

In competition the focus is on getting a good, clean throw that lands the person on their back, which is considered an ippon.(full point) there are partial points for throws that don't land someone on their back, and if the fight goes to the ground then you can also win by pin, or submission.

There are strikes, but they are not done in sparring, if at all.(randori)

http://www.judoinfo.com/

Great site for more infomation

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

This seems a bit misleading. I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I believe what it's prohibiting is locking your legs around an opponent's body and applying pressure, like a body scissors. I've seen closed guards used at almost all of the competitions I've been to.

4. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

If the school is competition based, workouts can be pretty intense to build the athleticism needed to win. Also, while the name translates to "the gentle way", the randori and training in general can be pretty rough as compared to say, aikido.