World's strongest Man admits to taking steroids

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icefield, Apr 15, 2019.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Game of Thrones' 'The Mountain' Hafthor Julius Bjornsson Says He's Used Steroids

And in other news waters wet and the sky turns out to be blue.

Good for him for admitting what I think everyone knows, I'd say the vast majority of elite strength athletes and other athletes are in a similar position. And that includes combat sports....

To quote the Diaz brothers " they are all on...... steroids"

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It's not surprising when you read about news like this.
    I'm sure they were within the boundaries of testing protocol. When you're that strong it's hard to imagine how anyone gets near to that strong without them!

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'd be more surprised if professional athletes (in any sport) didn't take something. Just look at the Tour de France.

And I wouldn't condemn them for doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Just look at the (BALCO) scandal, the tour de France as you said, the 1984 100 meter final had what 6 people in it who have all had steroid testing issues ( that was 30 years ago)

And those are one discipline events, combat sports are multi skill events where you have to keep training to improve and injuries always happen. If anything MMA guys have a greater need for Peds than other sports

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If someone takes a substance banned by the authorities in the sport, they are cheaters. Cheaters damage and hurt the integrity of their sport. They deserve scorn and ridicule and any damage to their legacy caused by being caught cheating.

It is downright dangerous in a sport like MMA. Just look at Bisping's permanently damaged eye. Permanently damaged by a PED cheater.

People failing drug tests should be disqualified from any talks of GOAT in their field.

This is my opinion on the matter.

Question: are steroids banned in strongman completions? Or are they allowed? I am guessing they are allowed, since he admitted this while still competing?

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not surprised and I could not believe that any strong man athlete would not be taking PED's.

When it comes to MMA though, I sort of assume everyone is clean until told otherwise. Although apparently it's rampant even at the amateur level in England. I know loads of Scottish guy's and I would assume they're all clean except for this one guy that took steroids before an amateur fight but that was before I even started training.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If steroids were banned in strongman competitions it'd end up being a bloke called Dave and a bloke called Steve seeing who could carry the most shopping back to their car.

axelb likes this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I believe there is testing but probably only at the big events or world's because its on espn.
    it's not heavy testing so easy to get round. Plus it's entertainment not a sport and has no governing body so....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you think about it logically there is more call for it in MMA than strongman, and more call for it in strongman than say powerlifting.

Peds allow you to recovery quicker and work harder powerlifting has only three events so easy to recovery from so less need.
    Strongman has those events plus moving and special events so you need to train more so need help with recovery and growth.

MMA you need strength, conditioning, plus multiple skill sessions in a week, there is no way you can become stronger faster and more technical really without outside help not at the pace needed to be at the top level

tj dilashaw for example we now know how he managed to become such a technically good striker on top of his grappling with a great gas tank,

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

How were PEDs responsible for that?

I think there probably is a good lesson in here somewhere... winners do drugs? It's not how you play the game, it's how you cheat without getting caught?

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

axelb likes this.
  12. David Harrison

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Sorry click the Google link below it or this one vitor before and after steroids - بحث Google:

Victor was a wrecking machine on drugs big strong quick, so many of the pride guys were and so were so many of the UFC guys on trt when they came off they were by and large different fighters

14. David Harrison

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It's a question hard to say yes or no to, it is true when on vitor was much bigger, much more explosive a

after trt was banned he lost the majority of his fights (7 fights 4 loses only one win by KO)

whilst on TRT 10 wins by KO and only two losses

Soo

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Post-TRT Vitor was a different, chubby puss cat as compared to the lion he was when he was roided out his nut. He very well might not have damaged Bisping at all.

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I almost feel like applauding some of them for getting away with it for so long.
    Like part of the skill is to see what/how much PEDS they can take and get away with it.

But it is cheating and when you have athletes who try so hard and are "apparently" clean it must really hurt.

It's like some karate competitions I used to do which was light contact and no direct strike to the face, I heard some training saying you essentially would attack the face and your get 2 warnings (in case it was an unintentional)
    So essentially they go for it until told not to even though the rule set is to not.

Cheaters do prosper, but they shouldn't they taint the reputation for those that don't.

They also discredit all the other sports training associated with that athlete.
    I recall TJ taking about the training he did when HR monitoring etc and it makes you feel that it may not be any better to other training programs.

In strongman it seems so common place that the training programs they do are probably as valuable as the peds as it's relatively level ground.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Im shocked.

SHOCKED I tell you.

What did he take? Asking for a tren...i mean..friend... who will be equally shocked.

This news is dianabolical, I wonder what his stanz is on the news reporting this?

Frodocious and Bozza Bostik like this.
  19. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I know! I thought he just had good genes.