World class and good fighters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by the artist, Feb 2, 2015.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Hi guys
    I was watching the ufc 183 and a thought crossed my head. What is the difference between world class fighters who fights in ufc or other huge mma shows and fighters at my gym who fight in small mma shows.

Like what makes someone a world class mma fighter ? Cause there are many "good" fighters in my gym not world class though but they have been training as much as some people who are already fighting in ufc. Example, Some people take 3 years of training to be in ufc and others 10 years. I just want to know why?

i know people progress at different levels but if there are 2 people who train 24/7 so they are dedicated, want it so bad and progress at same level. Then Person A reaches huge success while person B is still struggling. Why is that?

I believe that a major factors are luck or destiny or talent (if you believe in it) and coaches like if person A is training in jackson"s mma or alpha male or any major gym they will definitely progress faster than person B who trained at an unknown basic gym.

What do you guys think?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I think part of it is who you know, though obviously talent and commitment also has a lot to do with it.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The latter two lead to superior attributes and these are tempered by experience

When you train 6-7 days a week for hours a day you get good...it's no secret formula

Quality of coaching is a huge factor between gyms - and sometimes even personality of coach/fighter

How bad you want it is a factor, but we do not get the reward simply by the strength of our emotions

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

As well as the usual training & commitment I'd say it's the ability to take a real beating and still come back. Think Rocky film :)

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Particularly with the ufc there's a number of fighters at the low end who are hired because they can provide local fighters. Its one of the reasons you'll see US fighters with 6 fights in the ufc while you can turn on Cagewarriors and see better fighters with 20. Add in that for foreign fighters you have to pay them more to make it worth their while, or you have to pay for their flights instead.

There's also the fact that some weight classes are stacked and so they can be more picky. I think I heard Rogan say at the weekend the ufc isn't taking any 170 fighters at the moment. Being picky also leads into business strategy. You'll see guys get into the ufc with less fights and less skills because they're scrappy and thus "better viewing" than the actually very good guy who is a grappler. Its why someone like Jon Fitch would lose his contract while someone like Garcia kept his.

Talent, commitment, luck, training quality, match quality (in the UK at least record padding isn't exactly rare) all play their parts as well. If your bar to measure guys is whether they're in the ufc there's a lot of factors that play into whether you get in or not.

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Usually if you have less than 6 fights and you end up in the UFC, particularly if you are an american, you usually have to have at least a div 1 NCAA wrestling background, if not all american status, though.