Workout spacing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freyr, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

Hi all -

I have recently started working out on a regular basis and have been wondering on what daily intervals I should do so.

Should I wait until my muscles are completely free from soreness before starting my next workout or should I perform them at regular intervals - (i.e: everyday, everyother day etc) - or perhaps should I perform a heavy workout one day and a light the next etc etc.

All input would be much appreciated :)

P.S. My routine is all bodyweight followed by some cycling and/or jumprope for cardio

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

If it's all body weight excercises, then it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe do less reps until the soreness goes away.

PL

3. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Here's my routine, hope it can be of some help.

Monday- 30min cardio 30 mintues before 2 hour Tkd class then whatever when training. Balance exercises. Flexibility training.

Tuesday- The Bear. Go under search and find this to see the how-to. Then ab/oblique workout and grip/forearm training. Flexibility training.

Wednesday- Same as monday

Thursday- Same as tuesday.

Friday- 20 min cardio before Tkd b/c of sparring (don't want to get worn out). 2 hours of sparring class. flexibility training and balance exercises.

Saturday- Same as Tuesday and Thursday.

Sunday- A day of rest.

So, I alter strength training every other day and do cardiovascular/ endurance training on the off days. This is so my muscles have a chance to repair themselves and I can still train pretty much everyday.

If you're sore, put some tiger balm on or stech or something, if you don't workout because you're sore than you'll start not to work out just cause you're feeling somewhat tired and you just don't feel like it and so on. Pretty soon you're not working out at all.

4. Starboy

Starboy New Member

I took me a while to figure this one out as well. I especially didn't want to worry about muscle aching for MA. I wanted to make sure that I could have a day of rest between weight training sessions, and also a day between weights and MA. This is what I came up with.

Sunday: Cardio
    Monday: Weights
    Tuesday:Cardio
    Wednesday:MA
    Thursday:Weights
    Friday:Cardio
    Saturday: MA (early afternoon) then Weights (evening).

I'm not going to bother posting my routine because I don't have it handy and don't have it memorized. I also do a bit of cardio before weights to warm up, but the cardio doesn't really affect me (soreness-wise). Anyways, this schedule has worked pretty good so far. On weeks where I make significant weight additions, I'm usually only sore for a half a day to a day after and I'm back up to snuff the day after that.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

5. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

doing my excel gym class which is weight lifting i have become very very sore. which is common. even though we students in my excel class are sore we still lift weights and still do our regular workout routine. i do excel 5 days a week.... in consists of cardio and weight training. first 30 mins we run. after that we weight train. then after that we stretch and do cardio work. after that we do sprints the rest of the hour... total class time= 90 minutes. and i have tkd i 3 days a week.

6. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

If you have a sore muscle, and train it anyway, odds are you'll overtrain, and reap no benefits. This can be avoided if you modify the workout to be less intense, and use it as an active recovery. Basically, alternating easy workouts in between more difficult ones. That would probably be your best bet. Especially since you're doing calisthenics only, I'd vary the rep ranges every 2 or 3 workouts, dropping them by half or so, as well as cutting total cardio time.

7. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

Thanks!

Thanks alot for all the great suggestions! :)

I think I'll mix them up, try them all out eventually depending on how I feel on the day. :D

I have recently begun using one of the supplied workouts on trainforstrength.com (Workout 1) and have found it to be just about on my level. The pyramiding method of performing pushups has proven to be very effective with me. By the time I've completed it I can barely complete one rep even on my knees! :eek: I have experimented with this, using this workout as a heavy day, and then on light days I've tried performing one set of every exercise to my max number (replacing all the ab exercises with just a set of full range situps) - it seems to be working quite well, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Also, concerning my bodyweight only routine, are there any concrete advantages/disadvantages to such a routine, or to weightlifting? Would it perhaps be beneficial for me to mix in some weights?

Additionally, are their any negative effects to performing both cardio and strength training on the same day everyday (provided I alter the intensity to allow for recovery) other than being extra tired? I notice if I abstain from a type of exercise for even as long as a day it falls out of habit and I get lazy and stop performing it for awhile. :( This has led to many a termination of extended periods of working out, as Sun Hwang noted can happen...or maybe I am just extra lazy :D

Once again thanks alot guys! :) All input is greatly appreciated. :D