Workout for Judo?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pkhamidar2com, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

I think I might start working out again.... Its been a really long time though….

I’m going to be moving from Tangsoodo to Judo in about a month or so. I want to prepare for that.

I know I need good lower-back strength and leg strength, grip strength and lat strength, not sure what else though.

Lowerback and legs for actually holding a person on your back when throwing. So like squats and deadlifts, but i don’t have money for a gym, so its back to bodyweight training :/ with added weights when needed of course.

Grip strength for the Gi, like when throwing you need to hold the Gi (martial arts suit) quite tightly, so for that im going to be doing Towel chinups.

And the Latisamus strength for when you pull the person across over you and then throw them.... For that again Towel chin-ups/ pull-ups whatever you call em.

That’s what I learned from my experience at the Judo free trial.

But need a good workout : /.

I’ll be able to work out quite often during Christmas, but what should I do after I join judo? Because then I’ll probably be going to Judo 3x a week, maybe 2x, and with that A-Levels. So then I’ll only have time for once a week.

At the moment im thinking Pistol squats are a good idea, I was able to do 4 – 5 reps of these before until I stopped when I didn’t have time, and when I stopped progressing too :p

So Pistol squats, but I still need something for lowerback, so im thinking adding some gymnastics although I doubt it will help a lot. Something like back levers maybe, front levers and that stuff.

And then the chin-ups for the lats, do I need weighted pushups? I guess I should to prevent muscle imbalances.

Any ideas? Something simple. Oh and should I go straight into a 5x5, or a 3x5, or go into it slowly?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Im of the opinion, that if you want to get good at Judo...practice Judo..
    If you are training for the tour de france, get on your bike!

3. Pkhamidar2com

yeah true.... i know its just something to supplement my training.

I cant join right now, i need to get my TSD certificate, and also i have another 1 more month of TSD, then Exams, then i will go Judo.

4. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I understand the want/need for supplemental training. If your coach/sensei thinks you need it, they should be able to tell you what to do to supplement the training. Im heading to my first BJJ class tonight in 10 years or so, im hoping my yoga/weights/running ive been doing doing will help me out..But I think that only BJJ training will help lol.

-good luck to you on your upcoming grade, and Judo journey! Judo is awesome stuff! Have fun.

5. Pkhamidar2com

wow thats pretty amazing. It might help you out.

Yeah i guess i cant really do much with weights.

I guess ill ask him when i join.

Ive already graded, i passed obviously its not hard to get a yellow. Not even worth mentioning TBH. But yeah i just want a certificate.

And the certificate comes next lesson or the lesson after, hopefully.

Man im really excited about joining judo. It was really fun!

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Why wouldn't you supplement MA training with weight lifting? It would be stupid not to. Search the forums for the numerous threads about starting strength for beginners.

Edit: just skimmed the OP I missed the part about body weight training, it's still not something you should pass on.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You can get a barbell and 300 pounds of plates for around $100.

Once you get that, power cleans and front squats are your friends.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Not in the UK you can't :(

9. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Squats, Deadlifts, bench press, Pressups, Pullups,

All big compound exercises that will develop full body strength, it's what I do for Ju Jitsu anyway, can't say if It has helped me with throws or not but being physically strong will help with everything tbh

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

There's a few I would add to that list, cleans, bent over rows, military press, reverse crunches.

11. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Of course? I was just listing some of them briefly :)

12. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I am in the same boat as you are since I am returning to Judo after a lengthy leave.

I started High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to get that explosiveness for throws. I don't know how familiar you are with Judo, but picture a moment where you and your opponent are concentrating on an opening for that perfect throw. Both of you have strong grips on each other's labels, arms, or perhaps shoulders. In his concentration to find your openings, he doesn't paying attention to his right arm as it rises higher than his shoulder, providing you with a opening for a Ippon Seoinage (one-arm throw). As you prepare to yank him towards you in an upward motion to unbalance him for the throw, he lowers his arm and you lose your chance. He goes for a sweeping hip throw, but you just managed to stop it. Immediately again his right arm rises as he is reeling back from his failed attempt and you explode into a Ippon Seoinage, slamming him down in a perfectly executed fluid motion.

In Judo you need explosiveness, and as a beginner I learned that the hard way after being slammed into the mat numerous times for not being fast enough to perform my throw. I am trying out HIIT, and it's definitively explosive.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  13. Bartlomiej

Bartlomiej New Member

this workout is for the chest, triceps and even involve your back and shoulder muscles,
    Dips are alternative to developing chest and triceps muscles....

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

choose a program an do it.

SS
    SL
    mass made simple

all good programs, there are so many more.