workout advice?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zuiquan21, Sep 7, 2009.

1. zuiquan21

zuiquan21 Valued Member

hi, im turning 21 soon and i wanted to start serious gym workouts. i went this morning for the first time in years and i had to admit i had no idea what to do. im 173 cm and about 86 kilos and im really aiming to tone up and build some extra muscle around the chest, back and legs area, as these are the places i really neglect. but saying that i also don't want to let the rest of my body go. so i was hoping if anyone could give a beginners workout routine that could help me. i plan on going on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and possibly sundays due to time constraints. as well as that im not really confident with gym machines and im only really familiar with the basic exercises. i also run about 4 times a week for 30 minutes each time. i just need help with a routine to start off with and from there i hope to work out my own through trial and error i guess.
    thanks

2. ShadowReaper

ShadowReaper Valued Member

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'd start off doing a full body routine with relatively high reps 3 times a week. Say:

Squat 3x10
    Deadlift 3x10
    Bench press 3x10
    Row 3x10
    shoulder press 3x10

Vary the movements. You might want, for example, to do pullups instead of rows for a while. Don't include too many movements- about 5 is ideal. Your rest pattern is largely a matter of personal preference, but don't allow the second set to be a repeat of the first. I used to like 3 minutes between exercises, a minute between sets.

Unless, that is I can tempt you into starting crossfit :) http://www.crossfit.com

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

5. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Here is a routine that I feel is excellant for a beginner. Gets you the feel of what you are doing and I believe starts you on the right track to move onto bigger and better things.

(this is a re-post for anyone paying attention)

Some questions: 1) do you have access to a gym with a decent array of DB's? 2) Have you planned out a diet for your goals? 3) Do you intend to supplement and if so with what? 4) Do you have decent running shoes? (more on that later)

OK..I am an advocate of DB's. BB's work well and machines can do what you need to do, it is just my opinion that DB's are better. So, assuming that you have a gym with a decent set of DB's:

This is a total body program hitting the basics.

Upper: all dumbbell

Dumbbell bench press: 4 sets 4-6 reps
    Pullups: 4 sets to failure. Change grip and width of grip each set
    Incline Bench (30-45 degree angle) alternating Dumbbell curls: 3 sets 4-6 repsSqueeze at the top, keep head on the pad
    Hammer Curls: 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Rope Pulldowns: 3 sets 4-6 reps when you get to the bottom pull the rope to the outside of your thieghs and SQUEEZE the triceps
    Dumbbell Shoulder press: 3 sets 4-6 reps don't start heavy, go slow on this one, it's easy to hurt your shoulder
    Core Exercises: abs and lower back. Open to translation

Lower: this includes one barbell exercise, but can be done with DB's until you are strong enough to go to BB

Squats: 4 sets 4-6 reps FULL SQUATS!!!! be careful and push through your heels. DON"T DO THIS WITHOUT LEARNING THE FORM FIRST!!!!!! There are tons of videos available about this. Start light to get the form.
    Donkey Calf Press: 4 sets 4-6 reps might be called something else at your gym. It's a sit down calf exercise where a pad goes across your knees and you push that up with your calfs
    Leg extensions: 3 sets 4-6 reps
    Leg curls: 3 sets 4-6 reps

Between sets rest for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. No longer.
    Do a light cardio warm-up prior to so that you can get your heart rate up.
    STRETCH WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a water bottle with you and STAY HYDRATED!! If you are thirsty you are ALREADY dehydrated.
    Ensure that you allow 48-72 hours rest between each workout of the same muscle group.
    THIS WILL HURT THE NEXT DAY THE FIRST TIME YOU DO IT!!! So you might only get one in that week. The best plan would be for the first couple of weeks split the workout by upper and lower into two different days. Then when you are more used to it, combine them back.
    Do a bit of research for ALL the exercises and ensure that you know forms BEFORE you start. Start LIGHT so that you can nail the form before going heavy.
    Play with it and make it work for you. Recommend that you leave the chest and back exercises at the very beginning though. It has been shown that if you do arms first you reduce how much you can lift with your chest and back by up to 75%

Like I said, this is a very basic program for someone just starting out. It WILL build strength provided you fuel your body the correct way.

It is not set in stone. There are plenty of other options out there and you could easily replace exercises in this list with others and still get the same affect.

This routine is doable in one day, though I prefer to do split with it. So you could go two ways with it:

Monday: Total body
    Wednesday: Total body
    etc..,

Or

Monday: Upper
    Wednesday: Lower
    Friday: Upper

and then rotate it the following week to be

Monday: Lower
    Wednesday: Upper
    Friday: Lower

So, cardio. If you intend to be running whether it is on a treadmill or outside. I highly recommend you go to a runners store and buy a GOOD set of running shoes. A decent store will have you run and watch how you foot falls prior to trying to sell you a shoe. This can make or break you on the long run when it comes to your cardio (at least as far as running).

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is an excellant way to start a cardio program. This would entail approx a 1 min run, 30 second jog, 1 min run, etc.., for a set period of time. You might only be able to do this for 6-8 minutes at first and that is fine. I also like long distance running, though this is personall preferance. I feel that it helps with my wind more then HIIT which TO ME helps with burning fat more. There are a couple different ways you could add this too your workout. Since the upper/lower split has you in the gym for only about 45 minutes you could add HIIT to the end of it. A long distance run would put you in too long and you wouldn't be seeing as good of results at that point, so if you were to do that I would say on the days you aren't lifting to do the long distance running.

So it could look like this:

Monday: Upper
    Tuesday: Cardio
    Wednesday: Lower
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Upper
    Saturday: Cardio
    Sunday: Off

Rotate next week

Monday: Lower
    Tuesday: Cardio
    Etc..,

Or:

Monday: Upper(HIIT)
    Wednesday: Lower(HIIT)
    Friday: Upper(HIIT)

and then rotate it the following week to be

Monday: Lower(HIIT)
    Wednesday: Upper(HIIT)
    Friday: Lower (HIIT)

This is all only ONE answer to your question though. If you want to you could also buy one of the many books on the subject. One of the popular ones on this site is Starting Strength which will cover basic lifting AND diet. I don't think people need to pay money for a book, but different things work for different people.[/QUOTE]

6. zuiquan21

zuiquan21 Valued Member

thanks for the help guys, ive looked at most of the workouts and they're good. tomorrow morning i'll be going and starting gym ill go with this routine

3 x sets of 8-10 reps for all with 1 minute rests between sets and 3-4 minute rest between exercises

dumbbell squats
    barbell deadlift
    dumbbell lunges
    *leg extensions
    dumbbell bench press
    incline dumbbell bench press
    one arm rows
    upright rows
    bent over lateral raises
    tricep pull overs
    dumbbell curls
    *hammer grip curls

*-possible

i was planning on doing these mondays, wednesdays and fridays with saturday and sunday rest. id like to do cardio on tuesdays and thursdays but at the moment i have a sore ankle which doesn't hurt when using weights but when im running. i don't have a good set of running shoes yet and instead use shoes which have a hard sole that might be a problem. so for now ill put off running and stick to walking or cycling. with this routine i would not be using very heavy weights because my purpose at the moment is not really to bulk up heavily but instead tone up and become more defined. i was considering split workouts but id rather work the full body eachtime. however the only time im available to go to the gym is around 6.30 in the morning so i wake at about 6 and after getting ready i walk there which is only 5 minutes away. i wanted to ask for a possible warm up routine which could help get my body ready for a workout and i only drink water before and during the workout at the moment so would i find it more beneficial to have a snack beforehand or just wait and eat afterwards. because of work i have to be done at the gym at about 7.30 so afterwards i have my cereal and whatnot.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Too much. You want to keep your total work sets to around 20-25, depending on your endurance levels. Right now you're looking at 36 sets. If you did your prescribed rest periods, you'd be spending 72 minutes just resting. Add in the exercises and you'll be there over 2 hours. You want to be in and out of the gym in half that time. 60-90 minutes tops, 60 for most people, 90 if you're actually a competitive lifter.

8. zuiquan21

zuiquan21 Valued Member

yea, thats true, i went to the gym this morning and my routine broke down to

3x10 dumbbell squats
    3x8 barbell deadlifts
    3x10 dumbbell bench press
    3x10 dumbbell incline bench press
    3x10 one arm rows each arm
    3x9 standing rows
    3x9 bicep curls
    3x9 tricep extensions
    3x8 lat raises

this was done at around 1 minute rest between sets and maybe 2-3 minutes between exercises, give or take, wasn't keeping track that strictly
    all in all i was there from 6.20-7.20 so around an hour.

does anyone have a good quick warmup they follow before gym? and if in the morning is it good to have a snack because i get told that exercising on an empty stomach in the morning is good because it burns straight into the fat. but others say a pre-workout snack is necessary. any suggestions?

9. liero

liero Valued Member

Have an energy shake in the morning, with some fruit, protien powder, little bit of milk and yogurt...make sure its small so you dont upset your stomach while your training.

After the workout have a good high carb, high protien meal.

As for the warmup, I know your ankle hurts, but can you run or fast cycle to the gym? should be sweating by the time you get there. Otherwise, do ten minutes on a cardio machine, I like the rowers. Followed by some DYNAMIC stretching before the weights.

and as said before, def. break up the workouts.

when I started lifting I did 3 days

1) Legs: deadlifts, squats, lunges, calf press

2) shoulders chest and back: Lat pull down, dumbell bench press, military press, pull ups

3) arms: Chinups/dips alternating, bicep curl, skull crusher, there was somthing elce but I forget!

10. ShadowReaper

ShadowReaper Valued Member

What's your goal? Lose fat, build muscle or just tone your body? Are you doing martial arts?

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Were I you, I would not do that workout, and replace it with:

5x5 BB deadlift
    5x5 bent over BB row
    5x5 Bench press (replace with floor press if you have no spotter)
    5x5 pullup
    5x5 shoulder press

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Woah.... I'd be inclined to cut down the number of exercises. I'd get rid of the curls and extensions. You've already got both a rowing and a pressing motion in there, so they're really surplus to requirements. I've never been a fan or lat raises, either.