Working on Stabilisers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by righty, Jan 26, 2009.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Hi everyone. After the strong advice from pretty much everyone I have asked, including those around here, I have been moving away from machines to the wonderful world of free weights. Looking back I feel that when asking trainers at gyms it’s a combination of not being taken seriously as well as machines being easier for them to work with, but I digress.

Being careful, I started off the free weights by gradually weening off the machines staying within my limits to get the feel of the movements but now I am getting heavier. Coming from machines, it’s probably not surprising that some of the exercises I’m doing don’t feel stable, particularly with dumb bells (barbells aren’t so bad). In other words, I feel I have the primary strength to complete the movement, but at heavier weights it starts to get wobbly. It’s never reached the point where I am worried I will drop the weight but I think it may be best to look at this before I go much heavier just in case - so I suppose it's also a confidence thing. So basically from this I have come to the conclusion that in my use of machines I have neglected the stabiliser muscles.

So I suppose my questions are as follows if people could be so kind...
    Is my conclusion likely to be correct?
    Is this normal? Can it be attributed to my lack of experience with free weights or is this likely to continue to happen to some extent as I gain more experience with time and training?
    Is there any way people can suggest to improve this wobbliness? Possibly any exercises that will work on the stabilisers a bit more.

2. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

You are spot on. You have indeed unintentionally ignored your stabalizers.

This is definitly normal for a first time DB user. Don't worry about it. It will continue to happen every time you make any large increase in weight, but they will get stronger.

I have found that by just simply DOING the DB vice machines you will increase your Stabalizers.

By starting with a lower weight on the DB's then your muscles can handle, you will build up the strength of your stabalizers. This won't take forever, so don't dispare. Take it slowly and increase the weight as you feel comfortable.

EX: on flat bench I can do around 225lbs with a decent rep/set combo. When I move to DB Bench I can only do 95lbs DB's each side (so 190) because after that I start getting to wobbly. By doing the DB's primarily though, I am working on that. I am actually thinking about trying the 110lbs DB's each side tomorrow (Monday) to see about my progress on them.

You may also find that by doing DB's you will increase your strength when you do go back to BB's or Machines. This is due to the fact that on both BB's and Machines you can inadvertantly 'cheat' or use one side more then the other without knowing it. With the DB's you HAVE to you each side equally or the weight just simply won't move.

While I believe that machines and BB's have their place, I think DB's should be the staple in everyone's routine.

Congrats on moving up to DB's. I think you will be happy with the results.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree completely, but just wanted to add that unliateral movements are great for martial arts because, as has been mentioned already, they help to eliminate imbalances and it is fairly common that in martial arts movements (e.g, punches, kicks or throws) will be done with 1 arm or leg rather than both at the same time.

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Answers: Yes you will almost undoubtedly have ignored stabiliser muscles.

How to deal with it: make sure you are doing everything with proper control and train like you usually would, periodically increasing weight.

If you have a major weakness that you are very aware of then use a lighter weight and train to cut out that weakness.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just keep going, the shakyness is usually the fact that you haven't "grooved" the movement patterns and that they are quite demanding anyway. Watch a pro ice skater - looks easy yes? Watch a noob - they are all over the shop and shaky, simply because they don't know how to control the excess movement. If you keep skating you usually get over this, so keep using the free weights and you will get over it for all but the most difficult long/heavy sets.

6. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

How do you squat / deadlift with DB's or BB's ?

7. Custom Volusia

Squat:

BB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxxs1PErLQ"]YouTube - Perfecting Squat Technique[/ame]

DB's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4"]YouTube - Dumbbell Squat[/ame]

Deadlift:

BB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKvgoQWkb4"]YouTube - Deadlift Exercise Weight Training Workout Video[/ame]

DB's (fun to watch!!!!! :) )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8YJ_tfLPJQ"]YouTube - Dumbbell Deadlift[/ame]

but I like this one better...they don't have their legs bent the whole time. I've never actually seen someone keep their knees bent like that before....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5pnohyQvM"]YouTube - Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts - Hamstrings Exercises For Legs[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Hehe i was asking wich ones you use ;). Because you said DB's should be the staple in everyone's routine however how can the db squat / deadlift even compare to the bb one. If your only aiming at db training you are creating stronger stabilisers but especially in lower body work there is no reason to use them since you'r not working the stabilisers in the way you would when benching. For bench if you have access to both do both :p switch it up every now and then like 4 weeks with DB then 4 weeks with BB.

9. Custom Volusia

AHH...sorry...thought it was kinda an odd question since both exercises are kinda self explanatory! lol

I do the BB for both exercises for the reasons you stated. I do DB exercises for lower body occasionally because it is a bad idea to ignore the lower stabilizers completely, but not nearly as often.

Also, as far as switching it up...yup. Didn't bring that up since it wasn't the question this go around. Though I, and most experts I know, would agree it isn't necessary to work with a BB for flat bench for as long as four weeks straight, but in essence I agree completely with you.

10. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Indeed but the problem is you'l squat will go up pretty fast in terms of the ammount of weight you'r using that doing them with db's will become impractical and its not like the bb isnt working the stabilisers. Since the weight should be resting on your back and not on your arms. The ammount of time spent in terms of db vs bb also really depends per person i guess but if your bench with db's is like more then 50 pounds behind your bench with bb's then you need to be working the db's more :p.

11. Custom Volusia

I don't use the DB's for squats. I use them on things like lunges....didn't mean to mislead...again, I only provided links on how to do them with DB's cause I misunderstood your question. I also agree that squats in and of themselves do work stabilizers...it is still a good idea to focus on them OCCASIONALLY though through different exercises...plus that switches it up some as you mentioned earlier.

12. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

This guy's coaching is better than the horrific demonstration of a squat on the Gold's gym site. Still, a few grave errors should be pointed out.

1. Squatting in squishy running shoes. GOOD LORD, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. You might as well be squatting on a bed. Does that sound sensible with over 100kg on your back? There's a reason weightlifting shoes have a non-compressible heel.

2. The bar stays in a position over the middle of the foot. Always. This is the point of balance, and to take about sitting back onto the heels encourages shifting the point of balance off the middle of the foot.

3. The squat is NOT deep enough Mr Personal Trainer! :bang:

4. Coaching the hip drive as a FORWARD movement of the hips is counter-productive, and it's likely to throw the point of balance off and kill the hip drive. The hips for most of the ascent should be driving UP.

Please see Mark Rippetoe for a better-informed squat lesson.

13. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

ah you'v read starting strenght basic barbell training aswell sweet :p

14. righty

righty Valued Member

But then what is the alternative?

I can't do it barefoot. And I'm not serious enough to inconvenience myself that much to go out and find and spend money on special shoes.

15. Stuart H

Read it? I sleep with it under my pillow!

16. Stuart H

You do not have an alternative, only an inferior substitute. Weightlifting shoes are easy to find, and for the wear you'll get from them and increased effectiveness and safety of your workouts are totally justified in cost. Stop making excuses for yourself, unless you enjoy having a weak squat.

17. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

LOL, I'd never even really heard of weightlifting shoes and my squat's not bad and improving all the time...

Of course you shouldn't use running shoes or sneakers: I just use flat-bottomed plimsols.

18. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

But jeebers! I've just seen those vids and I'm going to stop nitpicking on Welsh Warrior's post now! They were mostly horrible! They were all wearing sneakers, the db dead woman was saying about not rounding your back and the picked up the weights with a horrible back and the db deads bloke had a rounded back the whole way...

Shocking.

19. Custom Volusia

I didn't review those vids for technical accuracy...just to demonstrate in general how to do the moves with BB and with DB...I don't think I actually finished watching any of them!

20. Stuart H

I spent over 12 months squatting in Vibram Five Fingers. I did improve my squat, but as Mark Rippetoe ably points out:

This fact, like everything else in his book, is completely true and is obvious as such once it's actually been tried. Your squat stability will be massively improved, as will your power cleans - I assume you're training power cleans like a serious trainee.