Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Gary, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Push crunch:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/BBPushCrunch.html

A nice way to add resistance to a crunch. I'm not a huge fan of ab work but with heavy deadlifts every weekend I'll get an imbalance if I don't.

CoC is Captain of Crush, it's a heavy duty gripper by Ironmind. The 1.5 is takes about 167.5 lbs of pressure to close.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Your gripper work makes me feel all weak and insignificant! I struggle to close and open the clips on my dumbbells! :bang:

3. Gary

My grip has always been way ahead of my other stuff for some reason. Once I'm comfortable with my #3 for reps I'll get a video up here.

4. Gary

25/09/2011

Deadlift
    @132.5kg x3
    @150kg x3
    @170kg x5

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1avWMD6qdQc"]170Kg Deadlift - YouTube[/ame]

(Predicted Max 198kg)

Farmers Walks (100ft)
    @95kg x4,4,4

Lunges (100ft)
    @20kg 1,1,1

A little hungover for deadlifts again, had a family wedding which was a lot of fun and I'm feeling sore from dancing today more than the side effects of irresponsible alcohol consumption. Session went well, I started adding in the predicted max lift figures from 531 and you even get a video to boot. ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Awesome work, bet you felt pretty beat after doing those. I think the dead-lift is the single most important exercise for all martial artists no matter the style. Good form too.

6. Gary

Cheers! Actually the lunges hurt the most, my quads are still hot!

I've still got to work on straightening my legs and back simultaneously, I tend to lose it a bit at heavier weights. On the plus side my back rounds at the top instead of the base when it goes. I'm still not going 100% on these because of back injuries in the past I have no wish to repeat! Fortunately it helps to have a training partner who's got a way better eye for detail for form than I, plus I would rather have constant criticism than praise any day.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Only if it is correct. There is nothing worse than some idiot telling you how to do something the wrong way.

I had a bad back for years. PT and then dead-lifting has made it 1,000 times better. What was your old max, cause you are lifting pretty heavy now (well at least compared to most)?

By the way, I did deads today too. I am freaking shot.

8. Gary

Even bad criticism isn't too bad, I've had my fair share of people telling me how to lift, exercise and eat especially but with a bit of knowledge you can usually discern between the generic idioms and the genuinely interesting comments that challenge my thinking. Plus I love questioning bad advice when I know the holes in the logic.

My back was royally screwed, 2 slipped discs and the doctor said I wouldn't be lifting again. Physio didn't do much and mostly involved stretching, presumably the thinking was my naturally tight hamstrings were the cause. In the end pilates gave me the core strength to lift and very slowly built up the weight again. My previous max for deadlift was 195kg but I hit 200kg a couple of months ago with way better form than I used to have. I still don't think it's a heavy enough weight yet though!

Congrats on the deads, along with back squats there's nothing quite like it for taxing the whole system!

9. Gary

Dinner tonight: Meatza!!!!

Might add some veg too.

Attached Files:

10. Frodocious

Meatza FTW! :happy:

11. Gary

I take back anything I may have said in the last few posts about not feeling too bad after yesterday's session. My 'mobility age' is about 60 today and I can't find a muscle that doesn't hurt when I poke it, so either that was a really good session or I've broken my finger.

12. Gary

10 years ago today I met my wife. Now I do love squat day but if I did that tonight I think I'd be either spending a lot more time injured or I'd have a ton more time to train.

No training today ;)

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

A ten year anniversary is not excuse. Do some Zerchers with her. :evil: I am sure she will approve. Happy Anniversary!

14. Gary

Ok, very brief update. I've been cutting and weights have plateaued for a while so regular updates would have been pretty boring. I'll be done by the start of february though so regular updates will start again then.

15. Gary

Managed to pop an eyeball by lifting too heavy, well a subcorneal haemmorhage anyway:

[​IMG]

Apparently this was quite a minor case, the full blown zombiefied version looks like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hardcore, it should be considered a trophy.

18. Gary

It's in the thread isn't it? :D

19. Frodocious

Most cool! You iz teh hardcore! ;) :D

20. Gary

Isn't it? Though my brother (who is a medical professional) said it could have been straining from another activity... :cool: