woo... another "template" thread... read me :)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Mar 11, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

OK, title suggests this has been done god knows how many times before, but i reckon Im just going to go ahead and do it anyway, sorry :)

Its another one of those "workout" threads, twist is in the amount of restrictions I have. I intend to spend nil money, I do not want to take supplements and I have this little thing called lack of commitment to painful stuff ... so if you think you can help me tackle it, read on!

At my disposal easily I have 2x dumbells and me :)
    Im in 6th form entering "exam period" - along with 2 pieces of coursework (History and Media if you know what thats like ;) not small) so time is a constraint.
    Currently I do one night a week Kickboxing, and 1 night a week at Cadets, which is usually practical/physical. I dont do a "solid routine" at the moment but I need to really, I know I got muscle, but I also have a bit of a gut that I want to lose and i want to enhance the muscle I got. Its a "look better" thing ;)

Problem with commitment is if it hurts and I dont feel benefits too quick, it is unlikely to be sustained, it sucks but I need someone to "keep check on me" really. Maybe I should ask my Instructor about this?

I'd like to be able to fit it into a 30 minute session or 2 30 minute sessions (morning and night)

And tabata aint going to happen ;) trust me on that :D

Any ideas are HUGELY appreciated, also any advice on a daily routine to make the workouts better would be great too :)

Cheers :)

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Being a cadet is a good thing for any young lad to do. It builds dicapline, strength of character, social skills etc, so well done for doing it. Are you doing cadets because you want a future in the army? If you do then you are going to have to change your attitudes towards fitness and exercise induced pain. Even if you don't want to be in the forces, if you want results from your fitness regime then you are going to have to work hard for it. Training hard is an essential, as is training smart. When you put the two toether you have a good chance of reaching your potential. What I am saying is that someone on here can give you an uberfantastic routine on here, but if you are not prepared to work for it- results would likely be negligable or limited.

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

if you don't have a good reason to commit yourself and work through the pain, you'd better find one. for most people, "looking pretty" is not a strong enough reason to keep working out for any extended period of time. you won't get anywhere with the "i don't like pain, it hurts" attitude either. if you have people around you who can help keep you on track, that will probably help a lot too.

i used to hate working out when i first started, but i kept doing it anyway and after awhile i got addicted. now i can't stay out of the gym. just keep in mind that it will get easier, just stick with it no matter what.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Just a quick few words of encouragement for you: I'm a 35-year-old desk-bound ex computer geek. If I can do tabata, so can you. ;)

Tabata's great. And the best part about it is it only lasts 4 minutes. I'd seriously reconsider, especially if you're not willing to shell out cash on kit.

5. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

If you don't want work hard, then you won't - and there is nothing anyone here can say to change that.

6. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

You don't want to feel pain from a workout? Then you wouldn't really be working out, would you? :D The very concept of training implies that to get true results, you're probably going to have to work hard.

Its highly unlikely that you will find an easy workout that fits into your half-hour time frame. As far as I can see, with your schedule, Tabata, or even just interval sprints, would work pretty well.

If you're in MA, you may end up having to dig deep to find that commitment you lack ;)