Wondering if I should pick up Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Stalinseviltwin, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Stalinseviltwin

Stalinseviltwin New Member

I've never been big into martial arts, but I have picked up highschool wrestling last year, and was wondering on a way to train myself in the off season ( most wrestling camps are over, and I've been wanting to get back on some kind of mat.)

So my question is this, would you reccomend I pick up judo in the off season? Do judo moves and wrestling moves tie in together ( could some judo moves be used in wrestling effectively)? If so, anyone know any good schools in the metro area, or how to pick out a good school? Thanks in advance...

2. stump

stump Supersub

Bear in mind most Judo works working from the Gi which obviously isnt worn in Wrestling. Judo is a great grappling art but bear in mind the clothes worn do add a difference into their ability to blend together

3. Stalinseviltwin

YEah, well Im not saying that I would start using judo arts automatically on the mat ( I once saw a guy try a jujitsu move on the mat, pinned in the first period after the attempt :)) but I thought it would be a cool way of training in the off season, which I have a problem with anyway.

4. stump

stump Supersub

I agree....just bear in mind the differences and you should be fine. You may find some judo guys who might want to wrestle with you....

So you could get the best of both worlds!!!

5. Stalinseviltwin

Thanks, do you have any reply to my second question? I really have no clue about picking good dojo's and clubs. I was also reading another post, are most dojos competion orientated, because I don't really want to spend my off season worrying about judo competions :p

6. stump

stump Supersub

Sorry mate, judo ain;t my area.

I know that some do more ground work than others. Explain why you want to train with them...if you get good vibes stay, if not don't!

Hopefully a judoka will be albe to help you specifically

Best of luck with it

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Judo

Its a physically demanding art.

If at the end you are shattered to the core - its a good school, if you are bearly breaking a sweat then its iffy.

Still give each session a few classes before you decide.

8. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

I think wrestling would benefit your wrestling immensely or at least it'll help your conditioning. At our club we have many wrestlers.

9. Stalinseviltwin

aiki: By the first wrestling you mean judo right?

I made my desision, I will, now I merely have to put it into action and find a school, thanks, I'll update you when I finally chose a school and go through practice...

Edit: I'm in Va, by the way so if anyone happens to knwo a good school, would be much appreciated. Anyone hear of H.Y. Kwon?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  10. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

yeah i did mean Judo....hahah....long day

11. Stalinseviltwin

Jeez, its hard to find a good judo place, the clubs I found require me to be a member of some... thing in virginia. Im thinkin about just tryin the phonebook soon enough....

12. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

Yeah...I had the same problem finding a dojo or club....and what sucks is that they are only offer 2 days a week class and sometimes they don't want you to be affilated with other clubs.

13. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

im a brown belt in judo and am also a wrestler for my school and i think taking both really help me with tecniques so i think you would injoi judo its a great martial art

14. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

i have great sensi's one is vice prez of judo nova scotia and im the best in my club and the hardest worker