Wondering about MT

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Wilson, Feb 20, 2006.

1. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i agree to a certain level, but i will say that various MA do pressure test to varying degrees, not all to the extent of the MT practitioner, the levels of conditioning and contact are far more rigorous than most systems :D

2. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Protein shake

There is a natural protein concentrate which the human digestive system is highly suited to (following millions of years of evolution).

It's called meat. Ditch the protein shakes. If you want protein, eat what your system is designed to eat.

Regards,

Declan

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

That's odd, the current biggest bodybuilders in the world all use protein shakes.

4. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Ah, but body builders seek to develop an unnatural form. Meat is the form of protein our bodies evolved to absorb naturally. I'm sure our Muay Thai friend doesn't want to be so big he can barely move.

Regards,

Declan

5. triton

triton New Member

Wilson, have you gotten a heavy bag yet? If you havn't I suggest you get one that hangs from a chain, not one that you fill with water or something and stands up.

Also, one main thing you should add to your workout is running (if you don't do it already), builds stamina, endurence and helps you learn to breath better. For bodyweight exercises you should do...(You might already know all this stuff but I'll say it anyways)..

---Pullups---
    -Wide Grip (hands are extra far apart)
    -Normal Grip (space between hands is normal and comfertable)
    -Close Grip (Hands are very close together)
    -Chin Ups (You know what this is, right?lol)

Whith pullups make sure you go ALL the way down and ALL the way up each time, if you don't then you will just work half the muscle.

---Pushups---
    -Wide Stance
    -Normal Stance
    -Tricep Stance
    -Knuckle Stance (some people say not to do this)
    -Elevated Stance (put your lags up on something like your couch and then your hands on the floor)

For abs do leg ups and sit ups. ALSO, a very good thing to do for your abs to take punches in the stomach. This seriously helps. In your class ask your partner to punch your stomach. Put your hands behind your head, spread your legs out a little and curve your feet inward. Then tighten up take light-medium punches. At first this hurts but you get used to it. I eventually took 150 hard punches before I quit my gym. You can also take kicks and knees to the stomach...those are guuuuuude.

Anyways, hope this helps.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so wait, protein shakes only work if you want to get insanely huge? i guess theres no inbetween, you wake up one morning after taking a shake and you are the size of a house?

go away.

7. triton

triton New Member

I think what he's saying is there's no need to take that much protiene for the mt workout.

8. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Misquoting me and insulting me in the same post. How insightful and mature of you.

You're right though, once that kind of post starts appearing, it is indeed time for me to go away.

Yes, indeed, Triton. Thank you. All the protein a fit body needs is packaged up in meat. That's all I was saying.

Declan

9. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Some more sparring questions, I just sparred my other friend who takes Kenpo, he has been in it for four years. So he knows alot about sparring, and he says kicks to the thighs is not allowed in his type of sparring. Is there anthing against low kicks in Muay Thai? Also, how does Muay Thai sparring compare to Kenpo sparring? In that type of sparring he wears protective gear such as head, chest, shin, and feet. How should we make the sparring rules?

10. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Low kicks are fantastic in MT, since you're cross training with him, you'll have to agree on a middle ground between the two styles. Try not to let him dictate the rules, since learning new defences is one of the best things about cross training.

If he wants to play with just Kenpo rules, he should spar with Kenpo people.

11. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

He isn't trying to make me spar like he does. He just wasn't used to being kicked in the thigh, and wanted to know if that was a legal move in the style of Muay Thai.

EDIT: My friend who takes Kenpo is haveing his birth day in May, and I wanted all of my good friends to go to his house and have a sparring match. I was wondeing if somone could make some suggestions for the rules, because we are mixing Kenpo, Muay Thai, and Kung Fu togather. So if someong could give me some advice, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  12. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Spar using K1 rules, they have all different martials arts in that. From what I can see other martial arts you have mentioned seem to have too many rules while thaiboxing has rules but there are not a lot compared to the other martial artd you have mentioned.

If they moan saying you are not allowed to do that then tell them you wouldn't say that if you were fighting on the street which is one of the purposes of martial arts.

13. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Could somone explain the K-1 rules to me? I doubt we are going to be trying to KO each other or getting points

14. duderanch182

here is a link to the k-1 rules http://www.so-net.ne.jp/feg/k-1gp/e001.htm

article 7 is the main one to look at. Basically k-1 is very similar to MT but you could fool them by saying it is k-1 rules and not MT.

You have a dificult situation really, MT allows you to almost anything except fight on the ground, this is why I took it up as it will prepare me for a lot of situations. What you need to do imho is talk to your friends and try to understand eachother's art and maybe you should see if you can get some body armour, head gear, shin pads, groin guard and some big gloves (preferby 16oz), this way it is fairly safe when you spar.

15. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

So, the K-1 rules that dont allow you to fight on the ground, and since I do take BJJ and MMA, how would I use them if I cant fight on the ground? Also, should I wear the full protective gear?

16. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

simple, learn to fight all the ranges :D

17. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Yes... if its friendly sparring then you shouldn't have much to worry about but have at least a gumshield, a cup and gloves (I'd recommend 16oz) and shin guards wouldn't be a bad idea either. As for possible rules I'd suggest:

No elbows, No straight knees, No hitting on the ground and play around for a few minutes to agree on a level of contact your both comfortable with. Doing some sparring drills such as hands only or one person hands only and kick guards and the other kicks only, guards and clinching is a good way to make your sparring productive and get you comfortable before working up to full sparring. Also 3 minute rounds is a good idea. As for doing BJJ and so on... MT is a standup art and this is the MT forum so this probably isn't the best place to ask if you want to incorporate groundfighting into your sparring routine as it doesn't have a place in MT (though yes I know its in Muay Boran).

Just take it easy and I would suggest not thinking about it as sparring matches but more training with friends.

18. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

I'm not sure I get what your trying to say.

We will most likley use NHB gloves because we like them more.

19. duderanch182

That is a really bad idea if you are meant to be sparring, both me and ckava have recommended 16 oz gloves for a reason.

All my advice has been from a MT perspective, if you want to spar in a mma style then ask your question in the mma forum.

20. sean

sean THOR!

What was the outcome, did you go and get your own experience?