Wondering about MT

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Wilson, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

yay! my first class is tomorrow (3/7) and i cant wait, im a little nervous though. my friend says hes ok with mt now..and btw thanks everyone.. can somone prep me for what i should expect tomorrow ( i will also be taking a mma class so if anyone could prep me on that too it would be great.)

2. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

wish me luck

3. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

awww man i had my first class today, it was awsome! I just need to work on my pushups a little bit. and im taking some mma classes too.

could somone possibly post a link to another post about gaining more wieght and building some muscle, i dont really want to get big i just wanna get strong.

4. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

ya get stronger by training harder, try using a carb drink if you need more energy or you are burning too much off :D

i have the same issue, consistamt training has made me stronger and good diet

5. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

thanks for the carb drink idea, but i just need some stuff to do when im at home, shuold i go out and buy a bag? and do some pushups or somthing? also what type of food should i eat like weat,meat,bread, ect a nice list would be awsome.

6. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

shadow box is probably the easiest, skip, running, some weights and yes, some bag work, this will also help body positioning.
    eat plenty of fruit veg bread milk, chicken

7. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

if you dont want to invest in a gym, then try doing bodyweight exercies along with a balanced diet. pushups, body squats, sit ups, and pull ups are the basics.

8. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

i have one more question will the sorness of after training, stop? cause im pretty sore right now.. and if it does not ever stop then is there any way to reduce it?

9. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Good thorough stretching afterwards reduces soreness. A lot of MA schools forgo this as part of the class due to time constraints, but that doesn't mean YOU should skip it.

Potassium(bananas) will get your muscles more relaxed.

Ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatorys are OK to use after things like tournaments and what not where you might really be hurtin.

And the next day, if you ARE sore in the morning, a quick warm up exercise at some point will loosen up the stiffness and soreness.

It's like drinking and hangovers. Drinking can cause hangovers, and the immediate solution is more drinking.
    Exercise can cause soreness. The immediate solution is more exercise(preferably light cardio type stuff, probably all you can handle at that point anyway).

10. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

Stretching helps to warm and relax muscles and connective tissue and assist in lactic acid removal but it does little to actually prevent or ease soreness. It's a common fallacy.

Soreness comes from the tearing and damage of muscle fibers after a workout. Your body has never done Thai Boxing before and it takes a while before it gets used to it. Initially your calves, thighs, abs, arms, chest, shoulders will be very sore. You will get a lot of Charley Horses and cramps. Simply take it easy for a few days until you feel better, then workout again. You will be sore too, but not as severe as the beginning.
    This cycle of soreness and recovery phase is what will eventually turn you into a conditioned athlete. Ultimately you will get to a point where you can blast a ton of punches and kicks and feel next to nothing afterwards. Your muscles will grow accustomed to all this stress. Old fibers are torn and replaced by new ones.

Again, don't despair, relax, take it easy for a while and go at it again. But don't go nuts when you workout, know your limits. Use your body as a gauge. This is a long process and it takes time. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  11. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

thanks, please add somthing to my list.
    Pretty much before i go to MT or workout i will:

1) Maybe protien shake
    2) Eat bananas
    3) drink water
    4) stretch
    5) go to MT
    -AFTER MT
    1) stretch
    2)go to bed
    3) wake up stretch

is that good?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  12. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Kind of. Before MT do dynamic active stretches only. After MT do static active/passive stretches.

ie. don't assume the 'splits' position before the workout, do that after.

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

id bust out the protein shake after the workout

14. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

wait whats dynamic stretchs? and whats active/passive stretchs? annndd what would the protien shake after the mt do instead of before?

,thanks

15. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

and if i decide to get a heavy bag i would need a bag that could stand up from the floor, so are standing bags good? are there any brands a should look for?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  16. Maverick

Maverick New Member

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_4.html#SEC30

Protein shake after the workout will supply your damaged/fatigued muscles with building blocks to repair themself. Better off taking it after than before, although both before and after is good too.

17. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

OMG...i just asked my kung fu friend to spar and he said no because he cant grab me?? and i said i do bjj and mma and i cant grab you with boxing gloves either.

does Kung Fu not focus on striking? do they spar? is he just afraid?

he also mention he will use his fist. i called him F-ing retarted.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Does he know about the MT clinch or his he talking about actual grappling? Tell him that you could spar with NHB gloves if he feels more comfortable. (I know virtually nothing about kung fu, but does the art really feature that much grabbing?) He's probably just afraid. Some people are TERRIFIED of sparring, yet they spend years learning forms. I don't get it. If he's really your friend, it should be a fun thing to see how you guys match up against each other. For me, sparring is the fun part, while training on the pads and bags is more like work (definitely necessary, though).

And what does you mean by "he will use his fist"? How else does he expect to punch? Or is he trying to intimidate you by implying that the sparring will be bare-knuckes? This guy sounds insecure. Tell him to loosen up and it's not that big of a deal. You don't have to go 100%, you know. Even at 50%, you'll be able to have some fun and see how you guys fare against one another.

19. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

sounds insecure about his own art and his ability MT is one of, if not the hardest MA for conditioning and contact :D

he might be worried ya gonna hurt him

20. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Just for the record, I study and teach a Shaolin system but I have a lot of respect for Muay Thai. Your friend's advice is uninformed and seems to be a case of that old egocentric view that seems so common in the world of martial arts and combat sports: "Anything that isn't what I do isn't worth doing."

The student of any system that involves any kind of heavy or full contact training runs the risk of injury. I like the term "pressure testing" which I have seen used on MAP. "Pressure testing", whether in the ring or only in the training hall, is essential if you want to have confidence in your ability to deal with an aggressive attack and dish out effective counters. Muay Thai is therefore no more risky than any other martial art or combat sport which uses "pressure testing".

As somebody else said earlier, you can get hurt trainining incorrectly in any system.

I hope you are enjoying your Muay Thai classes. I'm glad you realised your friend's advice and that of his Sifu were highly biased. Your friend has probably never been hit hard and when that day comes he won't know what to do.

Kind regards,

Declan

PS
    Considering the kind of things you two say to each other, you have an interesting notion of the word "friend".